Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Borgs and jobs
well obviously the programmable stuff should be applied to existing minibots so you can set more specific patrol routes for securitrons, have floorbots build shit where you tell them

oh yeah and floorbots and cleanbots should be allowed to go underneath furniture and equipment to clean/patch holes
(04-29-2016, 11:56 AM)misto Wrote: well obviously the programmable stuff should be applied to existing minibots so you can set more specific patrol routes for securitrons, have floorbots build shit where you tell them

oh yeah and floorbots and cleanbots should be allowed to go underneath furniture and equipment to clean/patch holes

i didnt even thought of that! (the goin under furniture thing) but what bots could use is a way to tell them "come here" or "go there" so we can direct them to clean, repair or arrest where needed! (heheh imagine crammin a sec bot under every table... those antags gonna git zapped in every room or corridor with one)
I know there's that program on for summoning securitrons, but it always seems spotty.

Doesn't it only use floor beacons as it's point of reference? How about if PDAs were also a trackable signal for them, as well as AI controlled cameras?
(05-03-2016, 03:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I know there's that program on for summoning securitrons, but it always seems spotty.

Doesn't it only use floor beacons as it's point of reference? How about if PDAs were also a trackable signal for them, as well as AI controlled cameras?

I'd love it if the AI could summon securitrons to deal with criminals it spots on camera.

You're just lazily choking someone out in a maintenance hallway, when suddenly from around the corner, beepsky emerges. Your blood runs cold as he mercilessly pursues you.

YOU CAN'T OUTRUN A RADIO.
(05-03-2016, 04:01 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 03:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I know there's that program on for summoning securitrons, but it always seems spotty.

I'd love it if the AI could summon securitrons to deal with criminals it spots on camera.

You're just lazily choking someone out in a maintenance hallway, when suddenly from around the corner, beepsky emerges. Your blood runs cold as he mercilessly pursues you.

I like this, but I can see people just immediately cutting every camera on the station and ruining the round for the AI post haste.
If that were true it would already be happening every round. A lot of AIs bolt in known traitors or alert people to their every motion. If someone is so dedicated to cutting every single useful camera the AI has, the AI is going to find out who it is at some point and start screaming bloody murder then. Security uses those cameras too, as well.

As it is, I can't remember the last time I saw an obviously sabotaged camera as AI. It's like people either forgot you could do it or realised how it's an even bigger red flag than just quietly doing your traitor business and skedaddling.
It's theoretically possible, but there are a lot of out of the way cameras in maintenance and such. You'd pretty much need all-access to blanket the station in static, and it would take far less effort to subvert/kill the AI.

That said, it does happen on occasion, and it's hella annoying when it does - just about nobody will lift a finger to help the AI. I've always thought that the AI shell should come with wirecutters - that way running around clipping cameras won't permanently blind the AI if no one is feeling helpful, but the AI will be too busy restoring cameras to do anything else.
To be honest, and I guess dragging this thread back to general silicon chat for a moment, the AI shell bots feel about twenty versions of the codebase out of date in general. They still use the old old old style UI, dammit! And there's less and less reason for anyone to turn their attentions to them-- well, I think I just found a petty enough issue to drive me to learning DM now. ANYWAY

Back to the main topic, AI summon of bots seems neat but also hella easy to abuse. Not sure how I feel about it. Maybe with some sort of cooldown?
(05-05-2016, 01:00 AM)Floorface Wrote:
(05-03-2016, 04:01 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote:

I like this, but I can see people just immediately cutting every camera on the station and ruining the round for the AI post haste.

correct me if i am wrong but maints dont have cameras, also some rooms too (usually NPC rooms i think) not to mention cuttin every camera would be quite a feat to do considering how many of them are!

I would also like to add AI should have a way to make itself a shell body (basically borg AI) for emergencies, i saw many rounds where the AI was the only one doin their job, and roboticist was dead, ssd or didnt exist, or simply didnt care or know to do their job (and no one else could or would do his job). Whenever i'm a roboticist i make a body for the AI... trust me AI apreciates it and also saved the station quite a few times!
(05-09-2016, 11:11 AM)Vuk Farkas Wrote: correct me if i am wrong but maints dont have cameras, also some rooms too (usually NPC rooms i think) not to mention cuttin every camera would be quite a feat to do considering how many of them are!

Some maintenance halls don't have cameras, but many do.

Part of being a stealthy assassin is knowing where these dead zones are.