Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak AI Camera View to be Observer
Surely the point of cutting cameras is to just stop the AI from doing things within that camera's range?
Personally, I'm fine with the fact that it gives away that a camera has been cut, because that's the only information that an AI can gleam from that. If they want to find out what's actually going on in there, they'll need to do some investigating. A traitor could also just disable cameras in unimportant areas as a diversion.

However...
SARazage Wrote:
Dabir Wrote:As soon as you bring up the camera list it's obvious which cameras have been cut on account of them saying so.

Oh sure but who uses that!

Actually, I just had a novel idea on how this could work. Rather then have sections of static for areas the AI can't view, have it show up like a cloak field generator does in space. The cloak field generator actually just paints an image of what the corridors should look like on the map. So if the AI has a cut camera, just have that section look like that. I have no idea how hard that would be to code though.
This would work fine as a solution.
Another option would be to make the AI observer view shade out every thing except what's in view of the cameras within a certain distance of their ghost, similar to using the meson goggles. They'd have to get near a camera to determine that it's not working.
Dabir Wrote:Surely the point of cutting cameras is to just stop the AI from doing things within that camera's range?

Exactly, besides, I doubt it'll just be traitors that will cut cameras either--some do it because they don't want to be noticed, break in and steal something they're not supposed to *really* have, or they suspect the AI is rogue.

The only thing the AI has any idea of, when a camera is cut, is that "I can't see here".
The biggest reason I could see to make this happen is the fact that not only is navigating the camera network as AI right now a pain in the ass, it's also a pain in the ass for the person who has to put those cameras on the map and make sure the connections actually work at all, let alone in a way that isn't obtuse as all hell. Remember when cogmap 1 first came online and they had to keep rearranging the cameras for that reason?

There's just gotta be a more intuitive way to make this work, for everyone involved.
Crumplehat Wrote:There's just gotta be a more intuitive way to make this work, for everyone involved.

This, really. Because the current system is definitely not ideal
So, how about them cameras?
I've had multiple instances in which the camera system would adamantly refuse to switch over to a particular camera due to thinking that my input of the right arrow key meant UP and right instead of DOWN and right. Some way of streamlining the process and maybe simplifying the godawful dropdown menu we have to sift through to be able to quickly switch to a particular spot would be appreciated. Maybe make a tab of major station locations and let us switch to those locations just by pressing that button?
I don't know if this would be possible in Byond, but would some kind of minimap be possible? Something like the ones found around the station, only when you click areas it takes you to cameras nearby?
Frank_Stein Wrote:I don't know if this would be possible in Byond, but would some kind of minimap be possible? Something like the ones found around the station, only when you click areas it takes you to cameras nearby?

Maybe a little toggle in a corner that brings up a big map of the station that fills your screen. This camera idea is amazing and should have been implemented a long time ago.