Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
make salt rust fire extinguishers shut
all it takes is 1 or 2 jackasses with salt and extinguishers to make it impossible for the wraith to do anything. this is dumb
Why not make salt corrosive and then tie in corrosion with materials science. Maybe overlay some rust sprites onto floor tiles and after a long enough time have the floor tiles break.

It sounds a lot less fun to have to re tile floors (Not entire floors, but the top floor tiles) after salt made them all rust away (Unless you happen to be the nerd who makes super corrosion resistant floor tiles and fills several floor bots with them), but it would make salt less effective.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=552

On the bright side it would mean covering floors in gold would be "USEFUL" because gold is inert and salt probably won't cause rusting.
I agree that salt + extinguisher is overpowered, but salt alone is underpowered. Running back and forth from chem dispenser with a mere 9-10 salt tiles to show for it each time is worthless.

Alternate suggestion 1: Scuffing salt lines. Spacemen passing over salt disturb the line, or have a chance to break it at least. Make an unbroken line be required to actually trigger wraith corporeality (ie, a salt tile requires two adjacent tiles to also be salty to be effective) so that stray single tiles don't catch the wraith out.

Alternate suggestion 2: Find a middle way, something between the overpowered extinguisher and underpowered and wasteful beakers. Being able to leave a trail of salt from a container (like laying cable coil), each tile only draining 3-4 units, sounds acceptable.

Alternate suggestion 3: Overuse of salt attracts rampant space deer who begin goring the crew with their laser antlers.
instead of just "wraiths who pass over salt turn visible" make it so that if you draw a specific symbol(like a pentagram or cross or something) in salt wraiths who enter the room that it is in turn visible. If you just spray salt everywhere it won't work, there won't be a symbol.
Grayshift Wrote:Alternate suggestion 1: Scuffing salt lines. Spacemen passing over salt disturb the line, or have a chance to break it at least. Make an unbroken line be required to actually trigger wraith corporeality (ie, a salt tile requires two adjacent tiles to also be salty to be effective) so that stray single tiles don't catch the wraith out.
This. It's just loose salt on the ground. Walking over it should spread it around and break it up.
Grayshift Wrote:I agree that salt + extinguisher is overpowered, but salt alone is underpowered. Running back and forth from chem dispenser with a mere 9-10 salt tiles to show for it each time is worthless.

Alternate suggestion 1: Scuffing salt lines. Spacemen passing over salt disturb the line, or have a chance to break it at least. Make an unbroken line be required to actually trigger wraith corporeality (ie, a salt tile requires two adjacent tiles to also be salty to be effective) so that stray single tiles don't catch the wraith out.

Alternate suggestion 2: Find a middle way, something between the overpowered extinguisher and underpowered and wasteful beakers. Being able to leave a trail of salt from a container (like laying cable coil), each tile only draining 3-4 units, sounds acceptable.

Alternate suggestion 3: Overuse of salt attracts rampant space deer who begin goring the crew with their laser antlers.

So basically make salt the elbereth of ss13, its great, until it gets smudged, at which point its completely useless. Speaking of that, would Invoking Elbereth on your floor tile protect you from the wraith?
Do what Sil did and have a Song of Elbereth that scares away enemies rather than preventing them from hitting you
Grayshift Wrote:I agree that salt + extinguisher is overpowered, but salt alone is underpowered. Running back and forth from chem dispenser with a mere 9-10 salt tiles to show for it each time is worthless.
Can't you just dilute the salt with something else so that you're only laying down a couple of units per tile? Carry a beaker of salt and add 10 units of it to a 90-unit beaker of water or something, and that beaker will apply 9 units of water and 1 unit of salt every time you use it. When it runs empty, refill the water from a water tank, add another 10 units of salt, and continue on. Besides, 9-10 tiles is enough to block the hall 2-3 times or protect 3-10 doors.

Something definitely needs to be done to make salt removable during the round. I like the idea of having the salt line break after it's stepped on a few times, makes high-traffic areas a lot harder to protect.
Paineframe Wrote:
Can't you just dilute the salt with something else so that you're only laying down a couple of units per tile? Carry a beaker of salt and add 10 units of it to a 90-unit beaker of water or something, and that beaker will apply 9 units of water and 1 unit of salt every time you use it.
nope. I tried diluting it and while you only need .1 units of pure salt (use the mechanical dropper) it can't be mixed with stuff very well. I know dans has the right amount of salt to be able to lay lines but 1 unit salt 9 units aluminum isn't enough
Is this still happening 'cause I checked the code and it shouldn't be happening.
Marquesas Wrote:Is this still happening 'cause I checked the code and it shouldn't be happening.
When does anything stop happening that shouldn't be happening on the first go around?