Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Hall Monitor: Gimmick job Discussion
Brick 
This one isn't my idea as much as a throwaway comment rapidly developed on by far better and more creative souls and it may end up being directly PR'd but I said I'd codify it into some kind of thread here so the idea isn't lost to discord and to open it to other opinions! I am paraphrasing other players sentiments so it's not a 1:1 representation of the discussion. 

That disclaimer said: A few of us seemed excited by the idea of having a gimmick job of great and undeniable importance to the station: A hall monitor. The Unholy union job spawn between a HoP, A traffic warden, and the Inspector.

General sentiments/brainstorms (again paraphrased from discord) about this idea:

• A general theme of thoroughly impotent power: A cheap, tacky hallmonitor sash (that they see as a demonstration of power, others inspect and see a deflated airtube or something), a badge 
  • (courtesy of Klushy and put into this thread as a bit of a liberty)
  • Cheap, somehow lesser version of the ticketwriter? Perhaps a stolen thermal printer for receipts. 
  • very important: Short shorts, denim on denim. 
  • a general provision of keeping hallways clean, free of obstruction and behavior unfitting of a station's halls. No actual authority whatsoever. You don't need authority, you are authority incarnate.
  • limited access. Hallways are your kingdom, maybe some hallway-like lobbies and the bar (life's hallway)

Why? The general sentiment is that as gimmick jobs go the hallways themselves are relatively unclaimed. They may be cleaned by janitors (who also work elsewhere) and modified by engineers, but the very essence of hallwayness has no custodian. Also it seemed like the idea has a lot of room around different gimmicks and interactions: Tolls, no running with scissors, running with scissors. The clown's turned the hallways into a rainbow road? The hall monitor cometh. Syndicate pod has parked itself in front of security and is trying to break through? You can't park that there mate.

Discuss, or await a PR.

EDIT: That badge (MyBB being my MyBB)

[Image: 1111.png]
I like this more than I thought I was going to, sounds like a funny gimmick role.
I do have a slightly more updated version of the badge sprite, and I would be very happy to make the PR for this. Sounds like a fun idea, and maybe it'll have some effect on the hallway chaos in a good, fun way
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/21052
pull request for this created here. I didn't include the sash, as you can only wear one external piece at a time, and I find the ripped up paper to be extremely important
Fair, thank you!
I AM THE DAWG! THE BIG BAD DAWG! THE HALLLL MONITORRR!

Yea I am for this lil gimmick job. Cause it's one of those flavor jobs that come and go!
(10-10-2024, 06:08 PM)klushy225 Wrote: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/21052
pull request for this created here. I didn't include the sash, as you can only wear one external piece at a time, and I find the ripped up paper to be extremely important

Bad outfit, no stupid cargo shorts (those are required)
(10-10-2024, 06:08 PM)klushy225 Wrote: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/21052

this could be solved by allowing badges to function as IDs