Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Arcfiend, as a gamemode, should be merged with Vampire
A thought I had a few days ago, I believe that the Arcfiend gamemode should be merged into the Vampire gamemode, allowing both antagonists to spawn at an equal. Arcfiends, when using their power sap, drain power and more often than not, plunge certain areas of the station into darkness. And Vampires, in both theming and from a gameplay standpoint, thrive in dark environments that the Arcfiends can and probably will create. Also, both antagonists are (basically) just different types of Vampires, the difference being the thing they absorb. I've noticed recently that there have been rounds where Arcfiends do no direct harm to the crew and stick to draining APCs, perhaps this change could add a bit more fun to Vamp/Arc rounds?  Sleeping bee
(06-17-2024, 12:38 PM)Polydanx Wrote: A thought I had a few days ago, I believe that the Arcfiend gamemode should be merged into the Vampire gamemode, allowing both antagonists to spawn at an equal. Arcfiends, when using their power sap, drain power and more often than not, plunge certain areas of the station into darkness. And Vampires, in both theming and from a gameplay standpoint, thrive in dark environments that the Arcfiends can and probably will create. Also, both antagonists are (basically) just different types of Vampires, the difference being the thing they absorb. I've noticed recently that there have been rounds where Arcfiends do no direct harm to the crew and stick to draining APCs, perhaps this change could add a bit more fun to Vamp/Arc rounds?  Sleeping bee

I think talking about arcfiends and their motivation is definitely a regular discussion and worth thinking of ideas for, even though for me, arcfiends are a wonderful tool to drive gimmicks: Maybe I'm looking to score some vengeance for NT taking my fellow wiresuckers to centcom and mysteriously not coming back. Maybe I've heard about this PTL thing and want to find a way to harvest it for myself (and promptly self-immolate like some kind of moth) I don't know, I don't personally see the problem with arcfiends, just that they're different from say Mr Syndicate Traitor. However, I accept I've seen "I don't know what my motivation is as arcfiend" as a regular comment on OOC and discord so, it's worth discussing. 

Is your idea about just populating a round with arcfiends/vampires, but not telling them/making it collaborative, or is it to have them spawn with some knowledge that this is the round type? If It's the former, how do you view the antags being aware and making use of other antag behaviours? If the latter, what's your idea for motivation as a team? What's uniting these two non-human factions against humankind? Or is it just an alliance of convenience?
(06-17-2024, 06:45 PM)Lefinch Wrote: Is your idea about just populating a round with arcfiends/vampires, but not telling them/making it collaborative, or is it to have them spawn with some knowledge that this is the round type? If It's the former, how do you view the antags being aware and making use of other antag behaviours? If the latter, what's your idea for motivation as a team? What's uniting these two non-human factions against humankind? Or is it just an alliance of convenience?

I‘d prefer the former option, as it’s consistent with other multi-antag modes we have. This mode would be very difficult for security, since they’d have to fight two hard-to-counter antags, but I like the idea a lot!
For Science!Dracula is coming
That's all fair, and I do happen to agree that the latter idea would need something to ensure it doesn't become a nightmare of the wrong type. So in this scenario, we have a game mode that most likely is secret, so would it be a case of arcfiends/vampires just relying on context clues to realise they have fellow friends and just hoping this helps the dynamic?
I will be honest. If there is an antag type I'm most likely to not notice or ignore its arcfiend mode.

Arcfiends particular power set makes it so they have a high temptation fo make "kill this guy" decisions. Speed roguing, speed armory, etc.

Their skill set also gives them no strong reason to attack anyone or really even do much beyond superficial damage.

I think arc should always be spawned in other modes.

Personally I'd rather they be midround/latejoin and wrestler be a mode, imo
Yeah arcfiends are kind of one-note. It'd be nice to mix them with vampires, and/or to make 'em a mid-round antag.