Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kiwi Vine, a New Botany Plant
So I have a bit of another botany suggestion, though with a silly twist on one end of it:

KIWIS

Yes, another plant I see that is not in game are kiwi vines, now the fruit could be used for a few new dishes as a topping, sliced kiwi, or even as a reagent for kiwi juice. The silly part of this is having a very small chance after the plant reaches some value in endurance, or one of the other traits, to spawn the kiwi bird. Now personally, I'd say if that mutation happened it be seedless to not let someone make a million kiwis running around; much like the synth cats.

The whole reason behind this is for new potentials for food/drink combinations and Noodle could use a ground-bird friend. Give your thoughts.
I like this idea lots!

I can't find many unique kiwi-based drinks, but I'm sure it there's a minimum of 1 that would fit into the game.
I'm too lazy to look through code right now so I've got to ask, is there a kiwi bird in the game already? I vividly remember seeing one.
kiwhee mutation that has fliptonium in it. imo.
(06-02-2024, 11:28 AM)BrokenTea Wrote: I like this idea lots!

I can't find many unique kiwi-based drinks, but I'm sure it there's a minimum of 1 that would fit into the game.
I'm too lazy to look through code right now so I've got to ask, is there a kiwi bird in the game already? I vividly remember seeing one.

Yes, there is a kiwi bird in the game already. It usually spawns as part of the animals in the terrariums of Cog1 near Escape, and its name is Noodle!
(06-02-2024, 12:36 PM)Solenoid Wrote:

Yes, there is a kiwi bird in the game already. It usually spawns as part of the animals in the terrariums of Cog1 near Escape, and its name is Noodle!
☝️🤓 actually that's a timberdoodle, scientific name Scolopax minor, also known as an American woodcock. it's a member of the family Scolopacidae, composed mostly of sandpipers, curlews, and other shorebirds. this is a far cry from a proper kiwi bird, which is much more closely related to an ostrich than to a timberdoodle
Put the reversium on it to make wiki fruit.
I think this is a fine addition to botany.
(06-02-2024, 03:10 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote:

☝️🤓 actually that's a timberdoodle, scientific name Scolopax minor, also known as an American woodcock. it's a member of the family Scolopacidae, composed mostly of sandpipers, curlews, and other shorebirds. this is a far cry from a proper kiwi bird, which is much more closely related to an ostrich than to a timberdoodle
I didn't know we had an avian biologist here! I'll just add a black tint to Noodle and tadaah, kiwi.
I have to once again voice that I'm not a fan of shallow additions to botany that only bring another food/drink ingredient and not much else for the botanists themselves to work with. If it doesn't have have some interesting gene, cool splice portential or very unique useable property, I'm not interested.

We have already quite a few botany produces that only exist for the sake of a single specific recipe and have absolutly no other use. Also many crops that have no mutations at all, and lastly a handfull of frankly useless seeds.

Just to be clear I have no problem with adding cute kiwi birds to the game. We have all sorts of pets already so why not kiwis ? But if you want to tie this to kiwi fruits and involve hydroponics, you gotta throw a bone to the botanists.
I 100% share the opinion of Decarcassor here. It feels like some nice fluff, but botany is absolutely full of fluff-plants.
As a casual botany enjoyer I have to agree. Botany's main problem is lack of goals, they have an overabundance of options already. The last time we had this conversation was when I added cinnamon to the game, even including a unique chem interaction and outside of a few rounds after it was added, you already don't see anyone making it anymore, the same would undoubtedly happen with Kiwi. People barely supply the kitchen or bar with the necessary fruit to make most drinks, and adding another fruit to the mix that won't ever get made does not help.

That being said, a purely "pet kiwi" botany plant, maybe similar to the way synthcats work could be funny and cute and arguably a lot more desirable, and maybe if you slice that up you could get kiwi wedges.
So one other thing I know kiwis are known for is that they're a good source of alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3-acid), which is of course an edible oil. But what if it could be heated and turned into regular oil much like how oil is now where it'd react over time at a specific heat. I am not 100% sure if there is a plant that generates oil directly.

As for specific mutations, I don't have any ideas for new ones, but they grow quickly once the vine is set, but they don't live very long. So placing those two as options to respective mutations onto the fruit gives it something to offer for splicing.
(06-02-2024, 03:10 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY436JiiCjg

But seriously, both timberdoodles and kiwi birds are adorable and I think having a growable pet kiwi (or kiwi ARMY) would be kinda cool. I like the idea that the birds can be chopped up for the fruit, that way it's not just another fruit that's being grown.