Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improved cloning item security
It's no secret that a lot of people use people's stuff in the cloning room as a candy jar.   Nor that it tends to get cluttered. 

I had a suggestion that the reclaimer spit out a fire proof metal box instead.  When you clone someone you insert their ID into the cloning pod, and it spits it out ten seconds after it spits out the person being cloned.  Their ID unlocks the box.   This reduces clutter and adds a level of security to people's stuff. 

Helps when you're cloning heads of staff too.

This box would  not be explosive proof. could be opened by security and head of staff id's of higher ranks and emagged to explode in people's face destroying all their items.

(Edit)To be clear when you swiped the box it would cease being a container and simply deposit your stuff on the floor near you
Good idea, maybe make it so you have to feed metal into the reclaimer as well, for the boxes? Make them out of that material as well? "Hey welcome back all your stuff is in that box over there." "but... this is made of erebite"
I always assumed that was what the cardlocked locker in cloning was for, but nobody ever uses that one anyway. This wouldn't hurt.
(12-12-2016, 08:25 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I always assumed that was what the cardlocked locker in cloning was for, but nobody ever uses that one anyway. This wouldn't hurt.

there's only one or two lockers and often like 4 people's possessions in cloning
having it depend on id would be no good for when dead people get pulled in missing their id (fairly often) or when someone steals their id while theyre lying dead on the floor of genetics (fairly often) have the box demand fingerprints or palmprints or something.

head and security ids can override it for search and confiscation purposes.

maybe a welder could also cut open the box at the risk of it popping open with any flammable items ablaze, hopefully this additional inconvenience would still help organization and cut down on crime
Good point. Perhaps have the cloner pop out a single use id that opens their box.
Having shit stolen is part of the cloning experience, so I don't think it should be that secure. I do like this idea for it's tidiness though. I think a labeled box or bag kinda like a dry cleaners that just needs to be ripped open would work.
(12-12-2016, 08:25 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: "but... this is made of erebite"

"DO YOU WANT YOUR SHIT OR NOT?!"
Why not make the ID lockers like the lockers in the security parole room? Make it so whenever a cloning cycle finishes, the lockers automatically unlock. Also, let Medical doctors unlock the cloning pod to sluice cloned peeps out early.
(12-13-2016, 06:04 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Having shit stolen is part of the cloning experience, so I don't think it should be that secure. I do like this idea for it's tidiness though. I think a labeled box or bag kinda like a dry cleaners that just needs to be ripped open would work.
I don't think it should be as easy as rolling up and taking stuff tho.
Like go mix some water and potassium over it if you want the items that bad, but not just oh here's free items

or hace it so you can unscrew the hinges and crowbar it open
please remember its not just about slightly inconveniencing thievery, its also for tidiness. if you right click on a big enough pile of shit your window crashes, and genetics is often knee deep in discarded crap making it a nuisance to get dressed again at all.

fuck, even thieves probably get sick of having to sift through so many heaps of useless shit on the floor of cloning searching for something decent to take
Logistically you could probably just retexture the grey boxes we spawn with to have a skull on them. I think tidiness and security are both strong features of the idea which is why I emphasize the container over just auto opening lockers. I also like the idea of emagging the boxes. I think it would be neat if they provided a random effect.

-all clothing inside has itching powder now.
- box blows up in your face.
- rare, but clothing turns into cluwne suit five minutes after emagging (scannable for painbow fluid)

But that's just extras. I am just a big fan of giving the emag more fun.