Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice melts well below freezing temperatures
If you put ice on the floor in a cold room, it will still melt after a certain amount of time. As far as I can tell the length of time isn't based on the amount of cryostylane you used, the ice just melts after a while. I've tried this on a floor tile in space, and in toxins, after hooking an air pump to the cooling port. That lowered the room to -43 degrees C, but ice on the floor still melted. Not sure what effect room temperature has on ice blocks, if any.
Ever seen icecubes shrink in your freezer? Same principle here.
Archenteron Wrote:Ever seen icecubes shrink in your freezer? Same principle here.

what

also, it's pretty obvious that ice is not treated as cool water that becomes a solid but as a separate entity that has a timer after which it just goes poof
Would giving it a 'if below this temp > don't melt' property cause the same kind of lag problems as pyrosium?

When I did it I was hoping that by super cooling the room I could perma-freeze it, but I know a lot of pyrosium lags the server. I guess a room full of ice could do the same thing if every tile was checking "should I melt yet?".
Lost Generation SA Wrote:Would giving it a 'if below this temp > don't melt' property cause the same kind of lag problems as pyrosium?

When I did it I was hoping that by super cooling the room I could perma-freeze it, but I know a lot of pyrosium lags the server. I guess a room full of ice could do the same thing if every tile was checking "should I melt yet?".

a roomful of tiles having to check if they should melt yet can not be intensive or byond is even more fucked up than I thought (I am developping a tile based engine and trust me when I say there are way more intensive stuff than that)

also :

'if below this temp > don't melt' should rather be 'if above this temp > melt' but I guess you understood that
Seems like ice is just really weird. ShadyAmishTerror just asked a similar question over on the SA forums, and did a lot more testing then I did. So far it seems ice:

- Will melt into water when inside people
- Will melt into water when heated in a reagent heater
- Won't melt based on temperature, when splashed on something, including floor tiles.

This means heating it with fire doesn't melt it any faster, which is the inverse of what I tried. If I've understood his post correctly, he did get it to melt into water when splashed in a flammable mixture that autoignites, (probably cfl3), but pyrosium alone didn't melt it any faster, or adding fire to the tile after splashing ice on it. By "not melting", I mean that the ice is just disappearing after a while, without becoming water.

I don't want to just copy and paste someone else's post from a different forum, so if he ever checks here it would be great to get clarification. It would also be interesting to know from an admin or coder if ice is supposed to behave this way as some sort of work around, or if it's just a low priority to be fixed, considering how little use it sees compared to other reagents.
I think ice as an object on the tile is not the same as ice as a reagent that's all
Splatpope Wrote:I think ice as an object on the tile is not the same as ice as a reagent that's all
It isn't
Splatpope Wrote:also, it's pretty obvious that ice is not treated as cool water that becomes a solid but as a separate entity that has a timer after which it just goes poof
Splatpope Wrote:I think ice as an object on the tile is not the same as ice as a reagent that's all

Nice work Sherlock, A+.

Also, I'd say no, don't even consider this. With a hole to space an entire corridor could be permanently iced up which is basically just dumb.
Agreed.