Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass Dark Matter + Sorium with windows = server crash?
So yesterday night on LLJK #2, SgtBriar and I decided to divide by zero. We were fucking around with Dark Matter and Sorium, two chems which do the opposite of each other (Sorium blows things away, Dark Matter sucks them in), trying to get them to go off at the same time to see what happened. It took half the round, but we eventually succeeded using a Flamethrower - and instead of causing some kind of world-ending void, it was surprisingly lagless and harmless; 20% of the time it sucked people in and hurt like hell, but the other 80% just resulted in people spinning in place for a few seconds. We found this highly amusing, so we decided to add Smoke Powder and Styptic Powder (to induce screams) and bring it to the Escape Shuttle where there would be lots of people.

First firing: it had everyone laughing in the chat. No lag from it despite all the people and objects, though the screen got flooded with red text thanks to impacts on the same tile as someone else. Nothing major though. Apparently it also made pods go nuts, though I couldn't see this from inside the shuttle.

Second firing: even better, since everyone had taken brute damage from the first and thus mass screaming ensued. A horror form changeling joined in on the fun. Still no lag.

Third firing: Still no lag, more screams, the server suddenly crashing and- ...wait WHAT!?

It was shortly after confirmed that LLJK #2 had indeed crashed from our shenanigans. Eek

Naturally I freaked the fuck out, my mind a mess of "oh jesus christ what have I done I'm going to get banned"-ish thoughts as I hurriedly tried to contact an admin. A discussion with Arkire and AngirestIBM later (who actually weren't mad at me, thank God), I learned that the cause of this was apparently the windows on the shuttle of all things. Apparently making windows get hit by the everything a hundred times per second can cause a lagless server crash; according to IBM, the server just got so many infinite loop handlers and critical errors from the windows going cuckoobananas that it just... gave up. I didn't even know this was possible, since you'd think a Graviton Accelerator would've caused something like this ages ago... but then again, who before me was crazy enough to mix Dark Matter and Sorium? v

I'm not entirely sure of all the technical stuff, but unless there is a fix for this, I don't think I'll be remaking my Spinthrower anytime soon. Which sucks, because I really liked that Spinthrower... frown
WHAT YOU CRASHED THE SERVER GAT BANNED PUB PUB.

Jokes aside, this is just BYOND being a piece of shit as usual. Don't worry.