Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Incarceration Booth
Sometimes doing a simple bag check can take longer than the time spent in the Brig, but not with The Incarceration Booth! (patent pending)

Simply throw any cuffed individual in one end and they will pop out the other end with their belt and backpack deposited on the floor! Clumsy? Don't worry if there not cuffed then they can climb right out!

Even better if you insert any uniform into the booth the occupant will change into that uniform! I hope you like orange.

Where can you find this amazing bit of security equipment you ask? Why regional testing may already be started at a local security bot space academy near you!  

Warning: Nanotrasen is not responsible for any injuries that may occur inside The Incarceration Booth! (patent pending)  Sleeping bee

Unconfirmed reports have been reported of Electro­magnetic damage to the booth resulting in occupants getting there legs trapped in the gears and limb displacement. these reports are not official.

UPDATE: after reading the reviews I do agree a less robust version is available! The Incarceration Booth Lite! (patent pending) will change your inmates to that orange suit you all love so much without the other features! I think ill come back to this at a later date with a updated version thanks for all the feed back.
Functionally and realistically: Great idea, NT would pay big spacebux for a convenient quick tool to quickly check in/out for searches with 100% efficiency. Speeds up processing for both the potential criminal and the security putting them through. Also sounds great from a "Speed up getting people back into a round" aspect. I do get it. I even like the quick-change uniform.

Personally, I would be strongly against implementing this idea for mostly gameplay reasons. 

It's coming from a really good place for the reasons I listed above I think. However, I would argue automating any part of the security processing of antagonists has the following impact:

• Easing up/speeding up the processing of criminals both encourages more searching (because why not), less mistakes (As the machine can't be distracted, and can't "give a break" to antagonist caught a little early) and more arbitrary searches (because if you have a machine that's quick, why not put people through it even if you don't really have any legitimate suspicion?) More searches defeat the efficiency, less mistakes removes an aspect of antagonism entirely, and arbitrary searches are bad for everyone. 
  • if destructible (and if not, that's a whole other issue) the booth is now priority target #1 on the station due to being an extremely easy way to denude an antagonist of their tools upon legitimate arrest or just whimsy. This if I'm right about that adds an element of predictability to antagonism, and I don't think predictability is a good thing personally. 
  • Automating a part of the round mechanics can be good if its reducing tedium. I don't think bag searches are supposed to be happening often enough that they're tedious for the antagonist, and for the officer it's a part of their role that requires a basic skill element due to the fact that items can be concealed in a variety of ways on a person. It also has another skill element for officers especially on RP: knowing when to give some poor sod antagonist a break when they're running a gimmick, or perhaps got caught a little too early for their own good and you want to give them a fighting chance. Taking this away from officers for a machine that can't make that decision or be genuinely fooled just feels wrong to me. 

I don't play security very often and I'm not exactly an authority so this is just all my opinion, but I did want to explain in detail why I like the idea and think you put a lot of thought into it, while also being very set against actually seeing it put in.
Searches are the most antag-crippling tool security has available.

Currently it's too effective for security to search antags because of the use of meta knowledge on their part (e.g. stealth storages or bibles).

So easing and automating the search process is the opposite of what we should do, imo.
I like it primarily to be able to quickly put prisoner outfits on inmates. Those are almost entirely unused because of how awkward it is to undress and redress someone, particularly because they drop their entire inventory. Having a machine you toss them in that just slaps a prison outfit on you and spits out the previous uniform + suit is a great addition I think. The searching part is not necessary at all (maybe as an emag effect, for fun, it can completely undress you).
(09-13-2024, 12:32 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Searches are the most antag-crippling tool security has available.

Currently it's too effective for security to search antags because of the use of meta knowledge on their part (e.g. stealth storages or bibles).

So easing and automating the search process is the opposite of what we should do, imo.

I agree I thought to offset it to be only found in the space fields randomly would offset its robustness. but I'm A-OK for a suit only changing version.
I litterly once made something like this before as a suggestion.
Some sort of allowing security to process an incarcerated faster and get em to the jail cell faster and thus able to be released faster.

But my version insted.. would only scan the contents of the persons items and tell you if there was a contraband. Though this could be hidden in a stealth storage.
The whole point is.. you put someone in... scan em... no contraband? Put em in jail. It's like those security gates but abit more scanny.
As this would eleviate but also NOT replace the stripping someone down til they have nothing on them, but not outright replace it as antags can still hide objects differently.

Yours on the other hand litterly does the stripping down right away and I am fully against it. While it gets someone faster into jail without the long struggle and searches. Thus allowing Security AND the antag to get it over with... it also favors security TOO heavily.

What i'd rather see from this... and this comes from someone who had antags WASTE TIME when I uncuff em on ROLEPLAY a lot... is using this machine to not take off stuff, but to remove cuffs from an antag being jailcelled. Throw em in, cuffs come off, they get ejected into the cell. Maybe with an orange jumpsuit and their stuff put in the locker at best? (Still don't like that anyway)

But too much have I struggled with antags wasting my time after being searched and stripped that the moment I take off their cuffs, they try to shove me past the door and open it to run away and get stuck to only be throw in 3 times more.
It's not fun... and eventually you just waste security's time for... no real result. Cause the only other people opening doors is security and they would just arrest you again. And you only increased your jail time :/

So thats what i think the machine should be. Toss criminal in, criminal loses cuffs, gets safely spat out in a jail cell.
Saves time for everyone.
if it can avoid check stealth stroge should be great and should use like X-ray scan check.
Addition : should be able to check any implant or hiding tool inside cloth.
But in general this might effect game play pretty much make sure to need balancec and more disccusion first
Dressing up thing: Really cool QoL feature
Taking off bags automatically: Doesn't apply to all crimes like if someone has a fist fight in the halls then I don't really feel the need to bag search them.
Contraband scanner: Utterly useless in any capacity.

If I get a beep that says there is contraband, then I search and find contraband and take out whatever else was related to the crime.
If I don't get a beep, I do the exact same thing since I have to look for evidence regardless.

Maybe it and bag stripping could be optional and you can set settings every time you use the booth, so you could use it if you feel really lazy or something.
One thing coming out of this is an almost universal love for a "quick change" clothing booth. Maybe something you could pre-load for Milkcan's original suggestion but also:

- Something you could build/have by cloning and load up with stuff so the newly living can get changed a little quicker?
- Funny vending/gimmick stuff: Merchants selling "new you" looks and mystery fashion fun.
- Install in chapels for quick formal wedding attire.