Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Saveable Mechcomp
Lightbulb 
Saveable Mechcomp

By this title i refer to a system that would save mechcomp contraptions between rounds. Similar to the abcu unit. After listening to others I have gatherd that some savvy nerds including myself would love for a feature like this to be implemented. As it would solve the issue of having to remake a contraption that may take dozens of minutes to build, every round you want to use it. Which is usually not fun, and can feel like a waste of time.

The clear problem is the meta aspect. As saving a contraption between rounds could give a player an unfair advantage. Similar to the reagent groups of yore. So if we want to add this, some sort of limitation may have to be put in place. Perhaps mechcomp takes a material to build, or uses electricity.

Really, I believe any feature that removes/lessens the tedium of having to remake what once already worked would be an improvement to the mechcomp experiance.
I am interested in hearing your thoughts. 

B-33
I've asked about a feature like this being added in the past, and was told by a dev that it's not really something that they felt was wanted --- setup time is part of the balance for mechcomp was the answer I was given and I agree with it. Not to say that you couldn't make it possible with some kind of complex system, just wanted to share the relevant feedback I got from a dev about it
This is a very slippery slope, because you pretty much already pointed out why it's probably not a good idea to have this in the game. The simple answer is what JOELED said, if you want "Fast Mechcomp" then it's probably going to be limited to glorified lightswitches, because anything that's too complex of a system to be able to be put together on the spot essentially is begging to be abused.
I've seen some ridicilous mechcomp contraptions that do stuff that would be considered, without the setup, overpowered. Part of why they aren't abused is because they take set up time and effort.

I am a fan of making basic logic more easy to make, but saveable mechcomp would lead to massive nerfs to mechcomp. Look at chemistry and the ridicilous recipes for some chems that came to existance because of copy/paste chemgroups.
I get your point, but I really don't think this is a good idea for all the points mentioned by the others. Maaaybe if there's a part limit and only one could be saved at a time
As mentioned above, a lot of the balance around some mechcomp contraptions is that for anything complicated, you need to spend that time configuring and linking all of them up. There would need to be some sort of counterbalance to this to keep things fair, considering mechcomp is a very real tool of the game which can meaningfully interact with the station.
I am a huge fan of this idea, but to balance it I had a couple ideas.

1. make it part of the abcu, with all its limitations

2. make parts cost a premium

3. you still have to connect them all. it only saves the locations.

while some mechcomp does go insane, this should keep it safer. especially if you cant directly add to the station.

I could see random space hacker bases and death traps with teles popping up, but that could be countered by making certain mechcomp devices incompatible. i.e. gravitrons,  wifi components, ect.
I also ask people about Dwaine file / computer file can save from round to round to and the reason is the same it easy to use for abusive. However I still hope that we have more thing that could save from round. Like paperwork(right now it only have paper board which is not enough ) / photo / more furniture.
dwaine script abuse is already kind of ridiculous and people have been abusing it to set up instant-teleport-anywhere systems and ones that collect every artifact out there. i really don't think they need to be made even faster to make -- the setup time is part of the balance, as was said
(08-06-2024, 01:18 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: dwaine script abuse is already kind of ridiculous and people have been abusing it to set up instant-teleport-anywhere systems and ones that collect every artifact out there. i really don't think they need to be made even faster to make -- the setup time is part of the balance, as was said

Dwaine scripting is sooooo dang powerful that I sitll don't get it.
But when a dwaine scripter is on station... 7/10 I get annoyed since they do minor annoying things and you gotta have a dwaine scripter to stop em.
3/10 they make me smile since they are legit funny.
(08-06-2024, 01:18 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: dwaine script abuse is already kind of ridiculous and people have been abusing it to set up instant-teleport-anywhere systems and ones that collect every artifact out there. i really don't think they need to be made even faster to make -- the setup time is part of the balance, as was said

Yes I agree with you but however the scan document still exit and that can work similar like save file already (if people trying to do that but they still need to figure out how to scan and write script for paper scan but in theory it work the same) anyway even I want it to have I still agree with you since Dwaine abusive is more common if they make it savable it might cause trouble more imagine we have teleptrap APC shutdown and Fire door auto-close open every second every round is sound horrible.
In conclusion yes I agree with you but just want to convince you that the scan doc work the same as this.
I mean, I just have word documents with my relevant paperwork that I want to save, mostly bar and kitchen menus, I just copy and paste it.