Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Move GuardBuddies to Robotics
This is a random idea but something I feel like could be neat.

GuardBuddies were cooked up like a century ago, and rarely see use because they're kind of an exclusive little thing in Science barely anyone interacts with.
Robotics on the other hand is often discussed to be lacking content, and are the defacto "Robo-guys" on the station. If GuardBuddies came out today, they would most certainly be falling under Robotics.

So that's what I'm proposing. Move GuardBuddies and all their configuration to the Robotics domain. Would require a bunch of mapping changes naturally, but I'll volunteer for that.
I've heard this suggestion before, but my main issue is that robotics is an interaction-heavy role. Perhaps the most of all, you are directly physically responsible for helping the borgs out, since they in turn help others.

Science on the other hand, is pretty free-form and you can leisurely work being beholden to anyone.
I suggested this before.
It might effect in some traitor gear like Ammo replicator which is RD toy.
But yeah science department itself lack of stuff to create it on they own sometime lack of good battery lack of cyborgs arm and can’t repair it after damage. Change it to robotic might not help much since In some map like cogmap2 the guardbuddy and robotic is next to eachother than science and both of them is unused.
So my opinion is I think change the place is great idea but it might not impact much thing due to normally people quite not interact on it.
(07-24-2024, 02:07 PM)Cal Wrote: I've heard this suggestion before, but my main issue is that robotics is an interaction-heavy role. Perhaps the most of all, you are directly physically responsible for helping the borgs out, since they in turn help others.

Science on the other hand, is pretty free-form and you can leisurely work being beholden to anyone.

i feel like thats the exact reason itd be good to move it from sci to robotics. roboticists dont really have stuff to do whenever all the borgs are comfy and no ones limbs are being stolen by magic pdas. having more stuff that isnt nessecarily interaction required would give it a nice balance, imo.
(07-24-2024, 02:07 PM)Cal Wrote: I've heard this suggestion before, but my main issue is that robotics is an interaction-heavy role. Perhaps the most of all, you are directly physically responsible for helping the borgs out, since they in turn help others.

Robotics is really mainly interaction heavy in the first 10, maybe 20 minutes. After that you get the occasional cyborg that wants you to print out a module, or the occasional antag who gets borged instead of executed. I think adding a feature that's wholly optional is a great way to add some fluff to the job.

Science might be pretty free-form, but Science also has Artlab, Toxins, TeleSci and Chemistry. I think they won't miss it too much.
I'm opposed mainly because guardbuddies unlike all the other robots on station have an air of corporate branding and proprietary soft/hardware. There's older models in the line out there to be found. Science has a box with a few official kits, but people aren't printing the parts from fabricators. It's a different vibe.

Besides, interfacing with guardbuddies is obtuse as heck but there's not a whole lot to it from what I remember. Realistically a knowledgeable user can set them going in a few minutes, after which robotics is no better off than it was before.
I like this because
1) It gives robotics more to do after all the borgs have dissapeared after getting their upgrades
2) My first robotics round I broke into the robot depot because I thought it was my job as they are listed on the robots wiki page next to other bots like securitrons