Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
minimum point generation for kudzu people
my most recent round as of writing, i was a kudzu person.
and i had zero point gen for the whole life.
i was not able to do anything except

1.) make some hydroponic stuff with vine arm
2.) wander the kudzu

basically purgatory.

to prevent more suffering, i suggest to add some minimum point gen to kudzu people. like a baseline of 1 to a tenth passive point gen
my personal opinion: kudzu people dying if they aren't on kudzu isn't very good and is the biggest thing making them really undesirable

i thought kudzu people were supposed to passively regen points while on kudzu tiles. is that not true? fukken pwned nub
(06-21-2024, 07:41 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: my personal opinion: kudzu people dying if they aren't on kudzu isn't very good and is the biggest thing making them really undesirable

i thought kudzu people were supposed to passively regen points while on kudzu tiles. is that not true? fukken pwned nub

the round i played, the point gen broke... should prob be looked into. B-33
Haven't kudzu been in a semi-broken, abandoned state for years? Imo they should just get a complete rework.
(06-25-2024, 11:13 AM)Glamurio Wrote: Haven't kudzu been in a semi-broken, abandoned state for years? Imo they should just get a complete rework.

Yep. Kudzu peoples are weird valid non-antags with a disfunctional set of pointless powers. Their ability to build trays and plantmaster computer as well as produce any existing seed is cute. But without the rest of botany tools its not very usefull unless they already are in hydroponics, in which case its redundant.

The icing on the cake has to go to their fertilize trays ability which just overfill them with compost, causing slow growth for no tangible benefit whatsoever.

So yeah being a kudzu person right now doesn't feel great. Just having corpses on kudzu reanimate as AI plant zombies or evil plant clones would just be better.
Im always open to buffing the plant peoples.
Especially with how vehement the reaction is to kudzu most of the time. The Kudzu people definitely need SOMETHING to do in the 30 seconds it takes for everyone to build flamethrowers and order 10 crates of candles.

The problem lies in the fact that they're basically less annoying cluwnes that can't even really run away from you.
(06-26-2024, 02:33 AM)ZodiaDecius Wrote: Especially with how vehement the reaction is to kudzu most of the time. The Kudzu people definitely need SOMETHING to do in the 30 seconds it takes for everyone to build flamethrowers and order 10 crates of candles.

The problem lies in the fact that they're basically less annoying cluwnes that can't even really run away from you.

This is why Kudzu people build in space. Only problem is they die of Coldness, and have to constantly revive themselves. Atleast they took over the space diner once.
I think the underlying problem with Kudzu folk is still the same to this day.

"Takes too long to become one, too easy to be killed, hivemind mostly distorts with 1 becoming antagonistic while the rest is neutral."

I love kudzu folk for their gimmicks and fun things they can bring. But gameplay wise.. they are booooooooooooooooooring and hampered like hell and back.
And their vagueness as "neutral" and "free to kill" makes it worst where the captain declares peace but crewmate mcpyromaniac goes to kill em anyway and war breaks out...
Ruining any fun Roleplay with the Kudzu people, cause someone saw free kills going on.

And there in lies the main problem. Them being too slow, Kudzu being massively annoying, people antagonizing the kudzu folk if fully neutral/cooperative, that one kudzu player who decides to defect from the hivemind and spread anyway.. causing war to break out and more.

While people hate they are a slower botany, I just hate the fact if the majority is willing to work together with eachother for fun, the minority who aren't antags use this oppertunity to cause chaos cause "Lol I am a plant who cares" or "Lol I can kill em who cares"

And this "grey area" of the rules makes it hard to ahelp cause... well what can you say? "They killed Kudzu people while we declared peace" or "This kudzu guy keeps spreading vines when we want ot keep peace as the rest of the Kudzu." Since "Technically" they aren't in the wrong gameplay wise.

I do think Kudzu folk could use more.. but if we buff em, we gotta decide if they are GOOD or EVIL. Cause otherwise this vagueness is just gonna cause more problems then anything.
Hi, Kudzumen creator here (well co creator along with AwkwardDryad).

To my shame, Kudzumen have been abandoned for what's now been years. Time really flies, I haven't done much development on my stuff since I've been working the last couple years.

I've lamented the semi-antagonistic nature of kudzumen for a while, when I initially made it I thought it filled a fun niche that hadn't been attempted since cluwnes, but it ended up being not as much fun as I would have hoped. It was a take on making a "conversion" "antag" because but I tried to circumvent the core problem with conversion antags of self-antagging. But that was also a failure, because I made them *too* un-fun and couldn't figure out how to make em more fun without making em more fun to play than a regular spaceman.

I've wanted to completely rework them and actually realize the main plans I had for them vis a vis them evolving and wanting to take over the Captain's Bonsai tree for their final stage of evolution... Turning them into a real antagonist, perhaps starting out in the asteroid field to give them some ability to grow unimpeded and letting them launch attacks on the station from there.

The main thing that's stopped me (other than laziness/burnout) is it would mean removing the Kudzuseed from traitors, but now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't be very hard to solve. Could force the seed to be planted in an asteroid tile or just trigger a spawning on some asteroid on z5 or wherever...
(06-28-2024, 09:13 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: The main thing that's stopped me (other than laziness/burnout) is it would mean removing the Kudzuseed from traitors, but now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't be very hard to solve. Could force the seed to be planted in an asteroid tile or just trigger a spawning on some asteroid on z5 or wherever...

Love your work on it, but I think there is an easy way to make Kudzu people work and keep the Kudzu seed in place for traitors/spiefs.

And it's much simpler then you think. Since Kudzu folk can change thick kudzu into devices... why not just have the pod growth only happen if a kudzu person spawns it on a corpse.

This allows the Kudzu seed still to cause mayhem, but stops "dieing and self antagging" on the seed and allows the Kudzu people to be their own antagonist if they spawn off station.

Not only would it make the Kudzu seed more panic inducing since now it's tied to "KUDZU INVASION! LOOK FOR ANY POD PEOPLE!" thus allowing the traitor to go about more sneakily.
I for one would very much like to see the syndicate kudzu be separated from kudzumen so they could be reworked into their own realized antagonists.

I kinda like the angle of kudzumen as a conversion antags seeking to sneakily replace the crew with pod peoples. But instead of doing it passively with corpses on kudzu they would have to do it deliberatly by spending ressources, and creating small hidden pockets of kudzu to suit their purpose.
Also kudzumen should be "weak" antags relying on secrecy and their plant powers to accomplish their goals. Hold doors locked with kudzu vines to protect your pods while they mature. Strangle nosy crewmembers. Grow botany-like plant traps in dark places. But no real direct combat powers. Don't get caught or the crew will come for you with flamethrowers.
On the other hand a dead kudzuman might not stay dead if you don't cremate the body. Other kudzumen could bring the body to a patch a of kudzu to heal them back to life. But also if you leave a kudzuman body to rot it could degenerate and start spreading vines like syndicate kudzu.
(06-28-2024, 09:13 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Hi, Kudzumen creator here (well co creator along with AwkwardDryad).

To my shame, Kudzumen have been abandoned for what's now been years. Time really flies, I haven't done much development on my stuff since I've been working the last couple years.

I've lamented the semi-antagonistic nature of kudzumen for a while, when I initially made it I thought it filled a fun niche that hadn't been attempted since cluwnes, but it ended up being not as much fun as I would have hoped. It was a take on making a "conversion" "antag" because but I tried to circumvent the core problem with conversion antags of self-antagging. But that was also a failure, because I made them *too* un-fun and couldn't figure out how to make em more fun without making em more fun to play than a regular spaceman.

I've wanted to completely rework them and actually realize the main plans I had for them vis a vis them evolving and wanting to take over the Captain's Bonsai tree for their final stage of evolution... Turning them into a real antagonist, perhaps starting out in the asteroid field to give them some ability to grow unimpeded and letting them launch attacks on the station from there.

The main thing that's stopped me (other than laziness/burnout) is it would mean removing the Kudzuseed from traitors, but now that I think about it, that probably wouldn't be very hard to solve. Could force the seed to be planted in an asteroid tile or just trigger a spawning on some asteroid on z5 or wherever...
Totally agree with this idea and it's similar to a suggestion I've made a couple months ago. I think having them grow in the asteroid field, or on an abandoned "ark" type crashed ship would be a good idea to have them be more similar to salvagers. Gaining points for spreading, covering terrain, and maybe growing over machinery, making it unable to work. Eventually they'll end up spewing seeds on the station and cause havoc, and the crew won't have to feel bad about being merciless to them on the station because their core is located off-station.