Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Genuine question about rule 4 and use of words
Smile 
I would like to talk about Rule 4, specifically concerning the use of language and the distinctions made within the rule. To start off, I would like to say that I appreciate the efforts the admins put into maintaining a respectful and inclusive environment, and my goal here is to seek clarification and understanding. This is a serious thread about the terms "penis" and "dick."
This is what rule 4 states:
Bigotry and sexual content is a non-negotiable hard 'no'. If you are unsure what sexual content includes: do not refer to sex acts, genitalia, or anything sexual in nature. This includes erotic roleplay, which encompasses all situations which are erotic or suggestive in nature (e.g. 'spooning', making out, etc.), and not only those which are sexually explicit. Rape 'jokes' are considered sexual content. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use the word 'rape' in this game. Yes, you can call people dicks and insult them with terms that are used normally, but don't use bigoted language or slurs. Common examples of bigoted language include calling people 'retards', 'cunts' or 'traps', using 'gay' in a derogatory manner, or using gendered slurs like "pussy" and "bitch." If an admin tells you to knock something off because it breaks the no bigotry or sexual content rule, that is not an invitation for debate. Knock it off or go elsewhere. Bigoted language (for example, slurs) is also not allowed in your BYOND key, character name, flavor text, or anything else with which you interact with the server, whether as a joke, or masked with misspellings or spoonerisms. This rule also extends to cover bigotry and discrimination based around a player's in-game race, species, or gender identity.

1. Clarification on "Dick" vs. "Penis":

* The rule allows the term "dicks" but prohibits terms like "cunts" and "bitches", and other sexual content referring language. Could someone  provide me more context on why "dicks" is considered acceptable while similar terms are not?  Perhaps this could help with easier understanding of different situations that can occur within this context that's not acceptable.

2. Consistency in Language Rules:

* The rule states that calling someone "dick" is acceptable because it is a common way to insult someone in a conversation, but references to "penis" are not allowed, both are words can be used in sexual contexts, and both can be considered sexual words. Could someone here provide more context on why "dick" is considered acceptable while "penis" is not? Understanding the rationale could help.

3. Justification for Language Use:

* The explanation is that calling someone a "dick" is normal, but calling someone a "bitch" isn't because it can be interpreted as bigotry. In my opinion there is a clash between these two concepts. How do admins ensure consistency in enforcing these language rules, especially given the nuanced differences in terminology.

4. Cultural Sensitivity:

* There are other words or terms that are also considered common insults and therefore should be allowed, and if so, could we have a clearer examples or a list to avoid confusion? However, would it be beneficial to have more detailed examples or a glossary of terms that are acceptable or unacceptable? I think it would help out players.

* Since without a doubt the player base consists of diverse backgrounds, are there plans to review and update these rules to reflect changes in social norms? 

This is everything I wanted to say. Im looking forward to hearing any thoughts from both sides. 

jons the catte Thanks for reading. Jones the cat

Honestly I prefer to just notice whatever rules we have here create a pretty nice atmosphere, it seems to work and generally if an admin tells me to knock it off knocking it off works pretty well too. I haven't felt a particular need to worry too much about semantics when the general goal seems to be "hey, just think about what you're saying and how you're saying it"

So I'm not all that worried about talking about rule 4, thanks for the thread.
this is not an official team response.

Quote:1. Clarification on "Dick" vs. "Penis":

* The rule allows the term "dicks" but prohibits terms like "cunts" and "bitches", and other sexual content referring language. Could someone  provide me more context on why "dicks" is considered acceptable while similar terms are not?  Perhaps this could help with easier understanding of different situations that can occur within this context that's not acceptable.

"dick" is an actual name in use in a lot of places. both as shorthand for "richard", but also just in general. i live near a dick's burgers. down the road from that is a dick's sporting goods. one of our worst presidents was richard "dick" nixon.

you can't really say the same about the other examples.

Quote:2. Consistency in Language Rules:

* The rule states that calling someone "dick" is acceptable because it is a common way to insult someone in a conversation, but references to "penis" are not allowed, both are words can be used in sexual contexts, and both can be considered sexual words.

"fuck you" and "i'm going to fuck you" both involve the word "fuck", but only one has sexual connotations.

"quit being a dick" and "suck my dick", likewise, have different meanings.

Quote:3. Justification for Language Use:

* The explanation is that calling someone a "dick" is normal, but calling someone a "bitch" isn't because it can be interpreted as bigotry. In my opinion

thanks for your opinion.

dick - an offensive word for somebody, especially a man, that you think is stupid or unpleasant
bitch (slang, offensive) - an offensive way of referring to a woman who you think is unpleasant

the oxford dictionary adds the "slang, offensive" part. it's not just an opinion.

there's also the (edit: sorry, got interrupted and forgot to finish this thought)
...historical implications of gender, repression, etc. around gendered slurs. too heavy of a topic for here, but part of it too.

Quote:4. Cultural Sensitivity:

* There are other words or terms that are also considered common insults and therefore should be allowed, and if so, could we have a clearer examples or a list to avoid confusion?

the rules provide what are by far the most common examples and plenty of people still do not read those. the vast majority of people do not have a problem understanding the rules.
Using the term "dick" to describe someone's behavior is generally understood more closely as calling them a "jerk" or "unpleasant person." It doesn't carry the same weight of societal and gender-based connotations.

On the other hand, terms like "bitch," "pussy," and "cunt" are deeply rooted in gendered insults. These words are often used to demean someone by associating negative qualities with femininity or womanhood. Such language perpetuates harmful stereotypes and contributes to a culture of sexism and misogyny. Therefore, we have chosen to ban these gendered slurs to foster a more inclusive and respectful community.

> The rule states that calling someone "dick" is acceptable
The word Dick can be just as bannable depending on the context of its use. There is no blanket immunity.

> would it be beneficial to have more detailed examples or a glossary of terms that are acceptable or unacceptable
We're not going to provide a swear bank. Children play this game. Assume what you say can and will be read by players well below the age of 18
on the other hand a swear jar where every time you trigger the naughty word filter you get deducted 5 spacebux and it all goes into a (visible) jar at centcom would be pretty funny
I like to add on the "b-word" part. And since the forums will allow it on context I will not shelter it.

But the word "Bitch" is banned completely on the server. I once said "Bitch" as in context of dieing in ghost talk, not calling anyone a bitch. And an admin told me: "Don't do it"
I didn't debate it.

So no stuff saying like: "Life's a bitch"
Admins will judge you differently and might ban you heavily or just warn you.

Shamefully I cannot recommend the real life restaurant Burger Bitch with their famous Bitch sauce (actual place in Amsterdam, look it up) but ooh well.

The word Bitch is banned due to it's context of the past. It doesn't matter how you use it.

any other words, it doesn't matter how you debate em or try to drag them out or how you use them in context. The rules say just don't... and admins will take action acordingly to their own opinion.

And I'd like to add a famous line all admins say: "We are volunteers not employees"
This is a free game, with free service on a free community. And the owners of the community are just saying: "Look these are the rules obey em"

Backgrounds/religion/anything else doesn't matter.. you are here to play a game by a community and if they ask you to "not refer" to that, the defense of culture isn't applied. Essentially see yourself in another country and you have to follow "their laws" and if it goes against your culture... well then ask the admins about it.