Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Makes action bars private when applying small/tiny items on items in o...
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[Balance][player actions][Input wanted]

About the PR

This PR makes it so when you use a small or tiny item on an item in someone elses inventory, the resulting action bar will be only visible for yourself. This specifically only applies to interactions when you open someone elses inventory (by clickdragging them onto yourself) and click on an occupied slot with another item in hand.

This change applies to most items with some exceptions. For these exceptions, a new flag in `item_function_flags` was created, `OBVIOUS_INTERACTION_BAR`. this flag is applied to items which were known from previous tests to be prone to massive abuse, e.g. mousetraps and beaker/dropper/spraybottles/sponges. Also, this applies to anything with storage datums, because else you would be able to pickpocket with a hidden action bar as well.

Why's this needed?

Applying items to other people's inventories was added to open up many interesting to funny interactions. Among these are e.g. slipping active grenades into peoples bags, contraband sticker onto mundane items, pills into drinks or planting contraband/evidence.

Due to abuse with beaker-splashing acid and mousetrap pipebombs gibbing people, this feature saw a massive nerf with rather long and highly visible action bars.

While this stomped the abuse into the ground, you nowaday also don't see most of the other interactions of this feature.

This PR aims to make interaction with other peoples inventories viable again while combating the most awfull abuse. Thus, this PR keeps the action bars in their known lenght and keeps them non-private for the worst offenders.

I am very sure i missed some problematic items and thus want feedback on which items to exclude. I would also suggest a testmerge of this feature, since it opens up a lot of interactions.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Lord_Earthfire
(+)Action bars when using many small/tiny items on items in other players inventory are now only visible to the user.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
dunno about this one, it seems like itd just be reinforcing paranoia some people have about letting other people stand in their tile range. or introduce it, even, which kinda sucks. the feature probably hasnt been being used lately because its bugged? a bug fix to it would probably solve the lack of use
(05-08-2024, 01:52 PM)Retrino Wrote: dunno about this one, it seems like itd just be reinforcing paranoia some people have about letting other people stand in their tile range. or introduce it, even, which kinda sucks. the feature probably hasnt been being used lately because its bugged? a bug fix to it would probably solve the lack of use

The bug fix was PR'ed by me just before this PR (#18818).

In general, with sleepy pens, ling stings, spief limb stealing and other stealth items in the game, i don't think this will contribute that much more to paranoia. And i think some tension in social situations isn't really a bad thing in general.
those are all very specific antag interactions, and while it is fair to say that they already cause paranoia, i think the constant possibility of having literally any and everyone able to invisibly mess with your stuff before you realize its happening would just continue the problem. if someone wants to do antag stuff like slip pills or arm a grenade and bag it, cloakers are incredibly good for this kind of thing. having to invest some level of your points to be able to stealthily mess with people is a valid point of balance. the feature is very useful for non harmful interactions, so i dont really think the action bar showing is dragging its versatility down much
Makes it a trait, "Pickpocket"
Now it's invisible to those who have it. Make it a -2 or something.
Well I love sneak stealth crime but not sure about consequences about this. I pretty sure someone gonna yell” Who took my syndicate weapon from my backpack. And end up people do like Covid-19 quarantine and stay distance from each other in 1 range in classic mode. But in RP it look not bad when antag sneak steal you stuff end up detective and security work has to use forensic tool more than usual.
By the way it look fun for me if I sneakily put plasma tank bomb in people bag pack and trigger it.
For summary This PR will make 
Pro
-more stealth antag interaction and creat some scenarios which is great
-Forensic tool might be use more which is good 
Con 
-(in classic) make people more nervous 
in General I think this PR is great hope to see it response.
I have to clarify some misconceptions here:

(05-09-2024, 04:30 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Makes it a trait, "Pickpocket"
Now it's invisible to those who have it. Make it a -2 or something.

(05-09-2024, 05:43 AM)meaow589 Wrote: Well I love sneak stealth crime but not sure about consequences about this. I pretty sure someone gonna yell” Who took my syndicate weapon from my backpack. And end up people do like Covid-19 quarantine and stay distance from each other in 1 range in classic mode.

This PR does not modify the behaviour of pickpocketing in the slightest. Trying to take someone's backpack or something out of their pockets will still show a big visible action bar. This will only affect any scenario where you apply an item in your hand onto something in the other parties inventory. But these comments made me realize to block boxes/stealth storages from this mechanics, since clicking with these on an item puts the item in the inventory.

(05-09-2024, 05:43 AM)meaow589 Wrote: By the way it look fun for me if I sneakily put plasma tank bomb in people bag pack and trigger it.

Plasma tank bombs are normal sized, so they will still be obvious and visible.

(05-08-2024, 08:25 PM)Retrino Wrote: if someone wants to do antag stuff like slip pills or arm a grenade and bag it, cloakers are incredibly good for this kind of thing.

Trying to interact with someones inventory (whenever you try to steal from them, place something in their inventory or interact with their items') instantly removes cloaking.
Would probably be worth a TM to see how people use/respond to it to see if the points mentioned here actually apply  Boogiebot