Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lazy icon updates, please help test!
Hi, I fucked with the code recently to reduce CPU thrashing and lag spikes.

Character icons were getting updated way too often, sometimes multiple times per frame. Now it doesn't update them so much; unfortunately this fix isn't not perfect.

You probably experienced this change as icons "lagging" as you interact with items. I need help finding the rest of these.

One example is throwing, I know throwing an item doesn't immediately redraw your sprite but I haven't fixed that yet.

If you know any actions that now have a delayed sprite update and they should have one immediately please post it in this thread.

I've fixed a few already so please go try another round and make sure the one you're about to post is still happening.

Thank you!
Besides picking up an object, switching hands or throwing, I didn't really have any other issues.

Also this is a little off topic, but a lot of my sentences have been splitting while on the station. frown
You can use patches and the like multiple times during thick lag which is pretty new but I dunno if that's because of this.

Rob Stark Wrote:Also this is a little off topic, but a lot of my sentences have been splitting while on the station. frown

Yeah this sucks. A lot of the time the last letter of the last word in my sentence gets cut off and is left on the beginning of the next line of text, so pretty often I'll go tsay ; fart
Klayboxx Wrote:You can use patches and the like multiple times during thick lag which is pretty new but I dunno if that's because of this.

Rob Stark Wrote:Also this is a little off topic, but a lot of my sentences have been splitting while on the station. frown

Yeah this sucks. A lot of the time the last letter of the last word in my sentence gets cut off and is left on the beginning of the next line of text, so pretty often I'll go tsay ; fart

That sentence splitting thing is fucking annoying and I've no idea what caused it. The patches thing, yeah, that needs fixin.
magic mountain Wrote:
Klayboxx Wrote:You can use patches and the like multiple times during thick lag which is pretty new but I dunno if that's because of this.

That sentence splitting thing is fucking annoying and I've no idea what caused it. The patches thing, yeah, that needs fixin.
I blame the newest version of BYOND.
I've noticed a delay when using pills.

also pulling cigarettes from a cigarette packet has a delay until it appears in your hand.
Same with removing borg pieces. It takes a second or so before the sprite for the battery/module/whatever appears in your hand box, despite the fact you can still do things with it.

Say, for instance, just shove it right back in the borg's chest.
david2222121 Wrote:Same with removing borg pieces. It takes a second or so before the sprite for the battery/module/whatever appears in your hand box, despite the fact you can still do things with it.

Say, for instance, just shove it right back in the borg's chest.

ugh just reading that annoys me, it happens a lot too with recharging guns too.
apparently seeds (and items like that) have a little lag bug, allowing them to be planted multiple times before suddenly disappearing. don't know if this is intentional or not, but it sure makes planting grass easy.
Lavastage Wrote:apparently seeds (and items like that) have a little lag bug, allowing them to be planted multiple times before suddenly disappearing. don't know if this is intentional or not, but it sure makes planting grass easy.

You can do this with space bee eggs too. This might not be a bad thing though bzzz
it might've just been actual game lag but i had a few seconds between the message when i pulled my derringer out and when it was in my hand

Doesn't BYOND 502 fix the whole laggy text business?
Marquesas Wrote:

Doesn't BYOND 502 fix the whole laggy text business?
Yes it does.