Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atmos, or The Air is On Fire.
There were two issues caused by having gas mixing in a single location. One could light the whole station on fire by opening a few valves.
Most of the pipes were used to bring the gases back and forth from Atmos.

What would change.
Atmos would be regulated locally, with each machine covering just a sector of the station. For instance, one machine for Medbay and Research.

[Image: KTiFP.gif] This machine, is a scrubber. It works like a rebreather. Inside are one or more cartridges each filled with a chemical compound. By default the cartridges clear the air mix of any CO2 (in real life, Calcium hydroxide is often use to trap CO2) or plasma.
But, by changing the contents of a cartridge, a traitor could cause the air scrubber to synthesize COs and plasma, and pollute the air.

The machine at the top of the mock-up regulates air temperature. It takes cold air from a closed loop of heath-exchange pipes which sits partially in space, and allows to set a ratio of heat transfer between the cold closed loop, and the warmer air from the station. (For those who were around during donut 1, it would work a bit like the TEG.)
To sabotage the machine, and force it to make the air hot as hell, one would have to re-route the heat-exchange pipes from space to a closed area, and light a fire on them.

[Image: 4rMQh.png]

Bonus sprites.
[Image: rc4Oq.png] [Image: gX3Bo.png] Scrubber and cartridge.

[Image: JDmoG.png] [Image: m7V4B.png] Heatsink.
So like... every room has its own atmos?

I like this idea.
BruceHenke Wrote:So like... every room has its own atmos?

I like this idea.
How would every room be able to get a pipe to space though? Unless you set it up to have, say, a medical atmos, a bar/kitchen atmos, etcetera, with high-value ones like Security and Bridge and whatnot kept separate.
Bring back atmos tech, that was my favorite job frown

Or give assistants the responsibility to look after our air. That might be a better idea.
So heating a room require metal and a spacesuit/chem access. Okay then. What about poisoning the air, what would that take? How would someone add plasma to the scrubber? Can you add chemical reagents? Can I use the scrubber to spread bathsalts all across medbay?

Basically I'm curious to how to interact with these I guess.
david2222121 Wrote:Can you add chemical reagents? Can I use the scrubber to spread bathsalts all across medbay?

Basically I'm curious to how to interact with these I guess.

Atmos only works with gases, not reagents. The scrubber is not meant to be a fog machine.

The scrubber makes air circulate. Inside there are a number of slots where you place cartridges that act like switches for certain gases.
Instead of having a large tank full of plasma, one of O2, CO2 and N2O, like old atmos, each scrubber can transform a gas into another when a cartridge is inserted.
When the correct cartridge is added, the scrubber will delete some O2 from the air it circulates, and add plasma in its place, or CO2.
Cartridges may contain chemicals, but they are not like a beaker. It's partly to make hacking atmos more challenging than flipping two switches, and partly for the sake of realism (rebreathers work more or less like this).
Please add this so a traitor can stuff all of the heads and security into the brig and turn it them into a delicious roast using this system.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Please add this so a traitor can stuff all of the heads and security into the brig and turn it them into a delicious roast using this system.

IDEA: Instead of the brig, stuff them in a fairly small room, big enough to be covered by a signal jammer. Then, cover the floor in hundreds of sheets of paper, hiding the jammer and a lit welder. Then let the room flood with plasma and see if they can find the welder/jammer and escape, SAW-style.
david2222121 Wrote:IDEA
The IC commands tab would like to have a word with you. Although at the rate plasma floods, it'd be too late anyway. That, and you'd need also need a wrench if you're thinking about taking down a wall. Although that may just be the point and there is no option other than to die in a fire or die of toxins.

I like the idea of re-incorporating atmospherics in some way, but as far as I know it's a real mess of code to have to work with. It made the game lag and nobody really understood it, along with it being used primarily to grief everyone with gas. And it was never missed again.

That's what I took away from my attempts to talk up bringing back the atmostech/envineer on EOT 1.0. I like this idea, although I'm not too sure about its mechanics. I sincerely doubt that we'll ever have a proper atmospherics system again, but I also doubt that anyone thinks it is necessary anymore.
Val Wrote:I like the idea of re-incorporating atmospherics in some way, but as far as I know it's a real mess of code to have to work with. It made the game lag and nobody really understood it, along with it being used primarily to grief everyone with gas. And it was never missed again.

This atmos system is local, which doesn't require to simulate tons of pipes that only carry gas around the station.
It requires extensive modification to release gases. This avoids plasma everywhere, every round, but gives traitors a way to gas a large area of the station.

Val Wrote:I sincerely doubt that we'll ever have a proper atmospherics system again, but I also doubt that anyone thinks it is necessary anymore.

Maybe you don't like atmos, maybe you don't like fun.