Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
make headspiders playable 2018
one of the last vestiges from early ling code: headspiders. they still aren't playable. if you can play as an eyeball, a severed hand, or a severed leg, why not a headspider?
Because NPCs are honestly probably more reliable for high-pressure situation precision clicking than players are.
Outside of pathing shortcomings, I'd wager at least 90% of headspider-ings I've seen wouldn't have happened if they were player controlled. Whether that's good or bad is up to opinion.
p sure headspider ai goes to first alphabetical mob in sight which leads to stupid things if you're around the monkey pen or a loose monkey behind some glass walls.

it's hella fuckin stupid that the most robust dude is alone and next to your ling corpse but the headspider goes off to a monkey in the corner of the screen because coders

(05-20-2018, 09:46 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Because NPCs are honestly probably more reliable for high-pressure situation precision clicking than players are.
just make it automatic when a headspider goes to move onto the same tile as a human or monkey??
I am for this. Yes, a lot of headspiderings may not have happened with players, but I'm now thinking of a while new take on headspiders. They don't go after the crowd by them, but skitter away, running under doors like critters. They get a 10 second head start (heh) with a speed boost, followed by a game of hide and seek with the crew. This sounds like a ton of fun, for both sides!
My opinion: make it a high resource cost power that has to be activated, but works even when unconscious.

Once activated, your DNA resources count down until you get to zero, at which point if you haven't found a host yet, you die.
(05-21-2018, 03:17 PM)drymelon Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 09:46 PM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Because NPCs are honestly probably more reliable for high-pressure situation precision clicking than players are.
just make it automatic when a headspider goes to move onto the same tile as a human or monkey??

Well dang, that's an elegant solution
Also make it have a button for jumping onto the closest person. No aiming.
Maybe have a verb that toggles between NPC-controlled/player controlled that the ling could set to their preference?