Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hobo chemistry suggestions
It would be neat if outside of Discount Dan's and actual chem sets, there were more ways to get bad chems in the station proper. I figure since we have several bathrooms and showers throughout the station, we could have a cabinet filled with all sorts of horrible stuff you usually try to keep infants from drinking. Bleach, Ammonia, space-cleaner (Which should get upped to be a little more lethal if consumed, I think), drain cleaners, all good stuff for creating some bad chemical reactions.

In the staff quarters, we could have some carpet cleaner and furniture polish (that could apply the glitter effect to tables/chairs!) and in the Podbay we could get brake fluid (Combine with chlorine for instant bad times explosions) and antifreeze.  Pool could have some chlorine laying around, too, and maybe some algae remover (weedkiller?) or something else slightly deadly.

Basically I really like the addition of rubbing alcohol to some of the medical cabinets around the station and I think we need more things like that. Discount Dan's is one way to get a lot of stuff but, it lacks a degree of flavor and Macgyver-ism that makes it just a little less special than taking some house-hold chemicals you found lying around and using them to blow up the bar.
on a related note, I wish there was some way to precipitate/ evaporate out certain chemicals somehow. It wouldn't have much use in the lab, but I could see an aspiring hobo chemist using it to get what he needs from a batch of chemicals. I feel it's too complicated of an idea, to be fair, but an idea is an idea.
(04-01-2016, 05:17 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: on a related note, I wish there was some way to precipitate/ evaporate out certain chemicals somehow. It wouldn't have much use in the lab, but I could see an aspiring hobo chemist using it to get what he needs from a batch of chemicals. I feel it's too complicated of an idea, to be fair, but an idea is an idea.

maybe give certain liquids a boil off point? because currently you can heat water to the point that it melts flesh, well that and silver sulfadizine, was fun getting accidentally killed by boiling burn healer.
Reagent evaporation sounds like a fun thing.
(04-01-2016, 07:42 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: Reagent evaporation sounds like a fun thing.

Suddenly the (insert chem here* evaporates) filling the air with steam!
(04-01-2016, 07:42 AM)ErikHanson Wrote: Reagent evaporation sounds like a fun thing.

Sarin evaporates!
You accidentally inhale the sarin!
(04-01-2016, 05:17 AM)cyberTripping Wrote: on a related note, I wish there was some way to precipitate/ evaporate out certain chemicals somehow. It wouldn't have much use in the lab, but I could see an aspiring hobo chemist using it to get what he needs from a batch of chemicals. I feel it's too complicated of an idea, to be fair, but an idea is an idea.

I can imagine an enterprising staff assistant setting up a second bar, serving up pod fuel cocktails strained through bread.
Hobo chemistry applications in general sounds like a really fun way to go.

If you've ever watched Hacking the System on netflix or national geographic, Brian Brushwood (who also runs an internet show called scam school) probably has some dope tutorials that could work as ss13 recipes. At the very least they could serve as some neat jumping points.

For instance turning a soda can into a candle or small portable stove.

If hobo chemistry means some more macgyver stuff I'm for it.