Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergancy Filters for Gasmasks?
It would seem more plausible to use filters instead of tanks. Basically the emergancy filter would hold less than a large tank or even an emergancy tank. This would make it where you'd normally need to keep check and should only be used during times of emergancy.

I'd like to ask from you guys on what you'd like to see with this.

- Would you have the choice of using both a tank and a filter so you're not stuck with just one? Or could you only use a filter for a gasmask.

That's the only question that I'd like to see answered by you guys.
It's hard to tell what you mean, but if you're suggesting a sort of small supply of oxygen inside of gas masks (less than emergency tanks) then I think that this would be a cool idea
I'm not entirely certain on the mechanics of what you're asking for. I guess it's a filter that straps on to gas masks and contains a little bit of breathable air? A gas mask already does the job of filtering out harmful smoke/gases, it's just that without a source of breathable air from a tank you won't be able to breathe regardless. I don't really see how a filter can contain air, though. I feel like your one question relies on a whole lot of other implicit questions that should probably be answered first.
quiltyquilty Wrote:It's hard to tell what you mean, but if you're suggesting a sort of small supply of oxygen inside of gas masks (less than emergency tanks) then I think that this would be a cool idea
Yes, that's what I mean. Basically a small filter that goes on the gasmask. Looks like this:

[Image: nato-gas-mask-filter.jpg]
How about the filter is just a component of the mask, that can be removed and filled with chemicals? The chemicals in the filter get added to the air supply, letting you breathe them in. Default chemical would be charcoal for filtering out toxins, but you could load it up with things like salbutamol or meth?
A filter filters things. What you want is some type of mask-fitter microtank or rebreather which would allow you short treks through atmos-barren environments without a tank taking up an EQ slot.

I like the idea of mask-integrated oxygen. It would be neat to be able to clip a small reserve of oxygen to your mask so long as you the reserve was small. Who would have access to them though. Sec? Engineering? Everybody? *shrug
Small chance for them to spawn in emergency O2 lockers
I like the charcoal filter idea. have it counter airborne smokes at a 2:1 ratio, filled at round start with 50 units of charcoal.

I like it because you could run around and fill the filters with something nasty instead
From someone who has no idea how filters work, I just wanted to get the base idea going and let you guys build off of the base idea.

Whatever seems logical I'm down for, just thought that these would be nice to go with gas masks since we do have them but are missing filters.

Maybe they only spawn in science (preferably Chemistry) since Chemistry basically uses gas masks to prevent inhaling deadly toxins if they make em.
Doctor Honkington Wrote:From someone who has no idea how filters work, I just wanted to get the base idea going and let you guys build off of the base idea.

Whatever seems logical I'm down for, just thought that these would be nice to go with gas masks since we do have them but are missing filters.

Maybe they only spawn in science (preferably Chemistry) since Chemistry basically uses gas masks to prevent inhaling deadly toxins if they make em.
Default filter contents could largely be dependent on gas mask location. Like, the gas masks near engineering could have filters for cooling hot air breathed in.