Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Detectivey Stuff: Part 9
This is another thread for detective stuff that everyone wants but like candy from a baby can never get.

The reason why detective stuff doesn't work as well as it should is mainly because rounds are too short, and murders are too frequent. So there needs to be a way of speeding up the process of detective work.

Body Temp on the Scanner
Ranging from Warm, Tepid and Cold, these values will tell you how long the corpse has been dead for. The values will help the detective tell if the murder has just happened (warm) or hasn't (cold), allowing the detective to presume the murderer is close or far away. An N/A would show if the person is still alive.

Metal Detector on Scanner
A simple Yes/No. The detective can tell if there's metal (bullets or implants) within the body.

Gunshot residue on Scanner
Again a Y/N. Shooting a gun (read NOT energy rifle/taser) will cause gunshot residue to appear on the scanner.

Insulating gloves and other gloves similar should still leave partial prints
FUCK insulating gloves. It used to be the case where if you were doing detective work and found insulating gloves, you'd be able to narrow it down to a certain department, but that's no applicable these days. Insulating gloves should leave partial prints just like latex gloves, but far less prints than the norm. This way the detective isn't totally screwed if he runs into a cold case caused by the insulating gloves.

Pulling should leave prints
Yes.

Covert Listening Device
This has been suggested 1000 times, but it would be so cool. It's a bug. You slap it onto items. You can slap it onto people, covertly, showing no message only to the applied it. Infact i'm sure I heard it being wip in coding at one point.
It feeds messages directly to sec channel, eavesdropping to the max.
Oh and
Fix the camera
Please. Taking a shot of one tile is absolutely useless and with the improvements in byond, taking a picture of several tiles and then printing them off in one big picture would be far more useful. Increase the camera from 10 to 40 or something.
Sundance Wrote:Oh and
Fix the camera
Please. Taking a shot of one tile is absolutely useless and with the improvements in byond, taking a picture of several tiles and then printing them off in one big picture would be far more useful. Increase the camera from 10 to 40 or something.
I beg to differ, I once got busted as a traitor because the detective took a picture of me spawning an emag in some maintenance hall.
VictorMAngoStein Wrote:
Sundance Wrote:Oh and
Fix the camera
I beg to differ, I once got busted as a traitor because the detective took a picture of me spawning an emag in some maintenance hall.

state any other incriminating situation that the camera actually functions
anytime where you and whatever is incriminating is on the same tile THAT is the only time.
Unfortunately the security records are bonked beyond belief and you can't search for partial prints: (just tested with half of my prints on the sec records.)
searching for any string has to be EXACT, including DNA evidence.

All of these are cool ideas, but partial fingerprints don't work!!!
If I may...

Injury analysis
Using a forensic scanner on a person should provide a small amount of information about injuries they've sustained. For example, "Injuries consistent with a short, sharp implement" "Bullet wound, shallow penetration/deep penetration/full-body penetration" "Blunt force trauma from a large, robust object. Traces of blue/red/yellow/green paint" and so on. As much as possible, these should provide hints (obvious ones for common weapons like guns and toolboxes, more unclear for uncommon weapons), and be as unique as possible to each item you can harm someone with, though of course there are a hell of a lot of objects in the game. The Detective would also have a forensic lab (in VR space?) with a fake person (pressing a button clears this mannikin of all injuries). He would then attack the fake with whatever weapon he thinks the culprit used, and then scan it to see if the description matches. Something similar could be done with blood stains and blood spatter analysis, though in that case there should be a chance to erase all useful information from the stain if more than one stain is put on top of another.
Detectives should be able to pull up the logs for doors, and the goggles should have an AR mode that highlights evidence. Blood, fingerprints and such.
Sundance Wrote:Body Temp on the Scanner
Ranging from Warm, Tepid and Cold, these values will tell you how long the corpse has been dead for. The values will help the detective tell if the murder has just happened (warm) or hasn't (cold), allowing the detective to presume the murderer is close or far away. An N/A would show if the person is still alive.
what is "corpse decomposition"
YJHGHTFH Wrote:what is "corpse decomposition"

what if you found a spaced body or some shit like that
Darkchis Wrote:

body temperature is hardly going to help in space i feel
YJHGHTFH Wrote:
Darkchis Wrote:

body temperature is hardly going to help in space i feel

body temp is what time period the victim died at, roughly.
Body decomp isn't useful for that per say. Having a bloated corpse tell you nothing about the time of death bar the poor asshole has been there for a long time.
Shoddy Wrote:Unfortunately the security records are bonked beyond belief and you can't search for partial prints: (just tested with half of my prints on the sec records.)
searching for any string has to be EXACT, including DNA evidence.

All of these are cool ideas, but partial fingerprints don't work!!!

I always thought you had to search for prints manually. As in go through every profile till you get to something similar.
My additions:

- Allow the security records app on PDAs to add notes to security records, like you can do from the Detective's filing cabinet
- Notes added this way should be broadcast to all Security PDAs. Give officers a reason to keep them on-hand instead of just Ticket Master
- Automatically adding tickets and other things to a person's security record in the same way, if there is a complete name match
- Partial fingerprint scanning
- Maybe the ability of the Forensic Scanner(s) to tie into and automatically search for complete prints/DNA (or at least a less painful situation for doing it on-the-go than "click everyone's name and hope they match")

While I'm at it, the good-UI Security systems (the filing cabinet and, oddly, the computer in the HoP's office) have a really ancient and outdated list of rankings. I mean, hell, Atmospheric Technician is still on the list. The AI also seems to be the only one able to modify them, as with a full-access HoP card it kept telling me that I wasn't allowed to change it, but as AI I could. Weird.
For the reasons mentioned in the OP, actually detecting as a detective is fairly impractical. Considering how rare it is for people to actually try to do their job in the first place, it shouldn't be overly hard. The detective or security in general could use an in-game manual (Which I could write if authorship is the bottleneck.). There have been a lot of good ideas in this thread, and I hope to see them implemented.
If Detective AR mode is added, perhaps they should be able to see which doors have been tampered with.

E.g if someone hacks a door, maybe that door could be "marked" as tampered until someone fixes it.

Also false walls could look different to a detective in AR mode, so they could step in brig and be like "yeah someone either broke in or broke out"

If there's one thing TG does right it's make detective more interesting of a role. You can literally follow a blood trail, gather evidence and try to figure out how someone was murdered. In goons you can find DNA that will maybe tell you who the culprit is, and that's if you can successfully copy and paste the DNA into the security records program without it being mad at you.

I've had more luck with fingerprints then I've had with DNA when it comes to searches.