Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting Booth
This is an idea I've been throwing about a for a while on a fun and simple way for the heads to interact with the crew. Then this concept hit me like a segway into a vending machine:

Why not have wall mounted electronic voting booths around the station when a head wants to take a democratic solution to a problem?
DEMOCRACY!! [Image: godbless.gif]

How this works on the voting side
These wall mounted computers have a simple interface, it has a 1 question, and x amount of choices. It's quick and easy, just swipe your ID, pick one choice, and that's it
The voting computers would be placed in strategic hot points, the bar, research, medbay, mining, 2 in the courtroom, QM/engineering area.

How this works on the casting side
The casting is done on the Communications Console (wherever that may be). It is done through a very simple thinkdos programme (call it "demockratic" or w/e) The programme, like commaster, has various inputs:

Cast: Entering this prompts to enter in the question. Just simply enter in your question and hit enter
Option_(x): Typing in option and a variable after it, such as option_1, creates the various choices one can make. Again, simply enter in the choice and hit enter. The difference between this and the above is that this can be done multiple times.
Interval: Set a time limit at which the voting can be cast. Optional.
Initiate: Begin the voting. (A cool thing is that this could send a pda alert to everyone)
Finish: Finish the voting. Also used to cancel the voting.

Why I and you should want this in the game
It's a toy for the captain and the HoP to play with. It encourages collaborative thinking. It encourages courtroom events where voting could be used to decide the fate of somebody. Because it's thinkdos, it could possibly be hacked by a turbonerd, and the voting results could be skewed (more computer stuff, horray!) In a game where being social matters, and I've seen voting done before but normally through the radio, it'd be hella nice to see this hard-coded.

Examples
An Alien lifeform has been found by security in the maintenence tunnels. It looks like us, but is not human. It is considered dangerous, but has yet to kill any life that we know of. What should we do?
1: Kill the stupid fucker
2. Integrate into our bureaucratic community. Give it a tophat. HIGH SOCIETY
3. Experiment on it, thus leaving it in the jurisdiction of the RD and research
4. Eject it out of the mass driver in an unlocked locker to protect it from damage. Hopefully it will find a new home, like that stupid film from eons ago

The Head of Security has seen to be acting extremely recklessly in his actions, with the death of at least several inmates. Do we:
1. Demote him and make him make a public apology
2. Promote him and make him make a speech.
3. Incarcerate him, forcefeed him his hat.
4. Eject him out of the mass-driver in a crate, with a few supplies for good measure

Hello crew, this is the syndicate delegate of Omnicorp Gamma. We would like to inform you that the 13th station of nanotrasen corp has been scheduled for demolition, and your captain has been immediately dismissed from further notice. Please rate your satisfaction in the current poll. Your vote mean a great deal to us <3
1. Extremely satisfied
2. Content
3. Mediocre service.
4. Dissatisfied
5. Fuck you Redsuits

Does the captain look pretty today? He's a swell guy and wants to be your buddy
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
It'd be easy to set up and sounds like a fun feature, I'm down for it when I've got more free time - or if anyone else wants to tackle it, deffo. I think it might also work well as a PDA app that the heads can initiate, since that'd mean you can answer from anywhere and turbonerds could sabotage the results.
I imagine there'd have to be some kind of protections against fraud (or not, because someone building a voter fraud script in thinkdos/research's thing but not sharing said script over pastebin would be funny)
I'm all for some good ol fashioned voter fraud so this sounds awesome.
I support this all the way! Also, give the option for the machines to spawn hats/pins for voting!
This is a promotional button: Richard Grabber. On the button it reads, "GRAB A VOTE FOR RICHARD GRABBER!"
This idea is amazing, the buttons dispensed are on the same level. Make this into a thing.
PDA idea could definitely be an alternative, yes. I'd still basically like to see it sent/programmed from a hub computer on the bridge. I picked commaster, well because communications and all that.
Make the vote button replace your ID, and give it the ability to open basic doors, like Staff Assistant level access, or maybe just maintenance. So greyshirts have no reason not to replace their ID with a pin, heads can make the choice, and changelings/nuke ops/wizards/etc. get a nice all-around useful thing by taking part in the democratic process, and voting to replace John Q. Pubbies arms with synthetic butts!
Maybe you could give access to the buttons, get votes from giving away better access buttons.
Sigh

Don't get me wrong, buttons are cool and all, Even cooler if they had their own thread, but what are they got to do with voting? Canvasing, perhaps yes, but that's about all I can think of. I actually suggested HOS should start with a box of buttons in his room to stick onto his officers for various things, gold star for doing well, purple heart for being cloned, green badge for contributing towards the a great deal the monetary funds of security, etc.

Captain_Bravo Wrote:Make the vote button replace your ID, and give it the ability to open basic doors, like Staff Assistant level access, or maybe just maintenance. So greyshirts have no reason not to replace their ID with a pin, heads can make the choice, and changelings/nuke ops/wizards/etc. get a nice all-around useful thing by taking part in the democratic process, and voting to replace John Q. Pubbies arms with synthetic butts!

It has been said that ID's may be a wireless process where ID upgrades could be slotted on without going to the HOP's office, hop would do it for you from his desk (I would presume downgrades would be manual to prevent assholes from downgrading the entire crew to staff assistant)
Adding a this, my suggested voting thing, and more computer stuff that'll be coming, and the HOP's job could be alot more colorful than appear at the start and fuck off the map for entirety.
Quote: green badge for contributing towards the a great deal the monetary funds of security, etc.
Bleh I should proof read, but you get the picture