Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
PDA ATMs are TICKING me off!
Unlike real life, wage theft doesn't really matter in this game because the amounts involved are pretty insignificant. Like sure, you can get ~10k from some folks around the 40 minute mark but then you also have had to wait 40 minutes to do your criming.

If having money is important for roleplaying purposes (food I suppose), chuck like 300c cash in your box and it should last the round.

(Someone could go over some maps for ATM coverage though. I found clarion has them only on the eastern half, and donut 3 only has two on like the west 2/3rds of which one is in the brig.)
Since using the PDA ATM is entirely optional, they should just stay. If you don't wanna use 'em and instead enjoy the exciting run to the ATM, you can do that! You can put your PDA away, or handle it IC ("Oh, my PDA ATM is broken, I'll have to go to another ATM").
(07-09-2024, 09:40 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: the same place tickets from the ticket writer app come from, and the same place the second stack of credits comes from when you split one. it's a video game

Ah, we're a licensed mint.  Makes sense to me.
Is there already a withdraw limit? If not, that might be an interesting way to prevent too much omney from being stolen via PDA theft, return some use to ATMs, and keep them useful all in one change.

If it already is, ignore literally everything I just said because it's useless.
i don't like the idea of there being an arbitrary limit to how much you can withdraw. just don't lose your id.
I'm going to advocate for a PIN code, but not for the ATM app exclusively.

We already have the concept of unlocking traitor PDAs, yeah? Why not just build in a pin lock feature on all crew PDAs? Toggle it on or off, or set it to autolock itself after a set time.

Prevent someone from not just robbing your account, but also using any programs you have installed, reading your messages, etc

Emergency services like security or medical alerts would of course still be usable while a PDA is locked
(07-22-2024, 06:44 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: I'm going to advocate for a PIN code, but not for the ATM app exclusively.

We already have the concept of unlocking traitor PDAs, yeah? Why not just build in a pin lock feature on all crew PDAs? Toggle it on or off, or set it to autolock itself after a set time.

Prevent someone from not just robbing your account, but also using any programs you have installed, reading your messages, etc

Emergency services like security or medical alerts would of course still be usable while a PDA is locked

Possibly have this as something that the player has to activate and set?  Additional security for those willing to put in the trivial time investment, but most people will just forget it.

Or reuse the old crate minigames and let people break in.
i really don't like the idea of locking pdas because it effectively means stealing them doesn't actually gain you anything, it just deprives someone else. like there's a reason we don't have security implants and implant-locked weapons iirc.

doing that sort of thing would make PDAs one of the most secure things on the station

e: like, consider the fun that happens sometimes when a person finds a traitor's unlocked pda, and now make that... not possible, at all, automatically. just, doink, auto-lock. some things need to be easy for people to mess with
I very much like the idea of being able to pull out a wad of cash to tip with!
If we were going to make it so the pdas weren't ATMS this should only be on RP because i have only seen people on RP complain about it. if we were to make it so you use a pin then it should be hackable like how you already hack a safe where it beeps or boops corresponding to the pin. Either way your money isn't safe cause i am fast at cracking safe pins
There are 3 ways for me to see this security lock work:

1: Requires the right ID and PDA to do this. (So now us who hold a PDA and ID together in the same slots are taking a risk)
2: Requiring in a pin to be entered in just the bank App. (Now there is an extra step of security wich can be bypassed via mind reading, guess work or checking HoP records)
3: Limiting the Apps withdrawal rate so you have to find an ATM to get more. (The app still bypasses the ATM lock but now you have a pathway)

These are my suggestions.
Find a nice balance in comfort and security.