Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Winter Jackets
Hear me out. 

Space is cold and therefore we should have winter jackets all the year round.

I'm not actually sure why we do only get winter jackets half the year, since a lot of the seasonal clothing is... MORE seasonal, so it makes sense to have them seasonal, but the jackets are nice for a little bit of variation within a department whilst still keeping the basic colour scheme (which is good, especially on RP. Nanotrasen inspectors everywhere weep over uniform regulations.) Changing the names to a light jacket VS a heavy jacket would be nice, and having them year round.  space bear
you must be one of those people who leaves their christmas lights up all year round
(07-08-2024, 02:16 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: you must be one of those people who leaves their christmas lights up all year round

You are not in fact incorrect
plus it IS pretty cold outside.
as someone who lives in the southern hemisphere, i say all of us down here should be given access to winter gear
i can't get immersed in my 2d spessman when they're not wearing 4 layers like ME frown
seasonal items are staying seasonal. space is cold, but that's why you're not in space, you're indoors. if you want to be in space, i can throw you out an airlock with an emergency suit on
(07-08-2024, 10:05 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: seasonal items are staying seasonal. space is cold, but that's why you're not in space, you're indoors. if you want to be in space, i can throw you out an airlock with an emergency suit on

The reason it's seasonal is simple.
NT simulates seasons by increasing and decreasing the atomspheric temprature controls through out the year. It is to avoid disassicioation with earth's seasonal rotation and TOTALLY not a way to cut costs on power output and resources.
Some of the puffer jacket sprites just don't fit with what we want official department styled gear to look like. They don't really have a consistent look which I think is a bit of a detriment to making them a staple of every round. Some of them just look outright bad or comical, this is a funny game, but save for the clown, none of the default job uniforms are comedy based.

It's fine to have them for space-winter, but we don't really *need* them for any purpose. If we had like a Ice Moon/Winter station I could see them being used there since there would be no need for space suits on such a map.

Also we already have winter jackets with department colors.
Remind me of some idea about Event that make station hot/cold to make more interaction between department.talk about weather.i kinda like it.
(07-09-2024, 07:54 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: Some of the puffer jacket sprites just don't fit with what we want official department styled gear to look like. They don't really have a consistent look which I think is a bit of a detriment to making them a staple of every round. Some of them just look outright bad or comical, this is a funny game, but save for the clown, none of the default job uniforms are comedy based.

It's fine to have them for space-winter, but we don't really *need* them for any purpose. If we had like a Ice Moon/Winter station I could see them being used there since there would be no need for space suits on such a map.

Also we already have winter jackets with department colors.

I have to admit, I really appreciate this answer. I've sort of felt pretty frustrated by the simple answer of 'They're winter things so they should be seasonal and that's that', especially since we already have winter coats, and I feel like the puffers make for good 'comfy clothes' without needing to be really winter. 
I love being identifiable as part of my department but the jumpsuits definitely look plain and are getting really old for me. I would've loved seeing the extra variety around, and really enjoyed the added ability to customise my character. Just because something isn't needed shouldn't mean we don't have it - I think custom outfits and looks help define characters so much, and add immensely to RP, even if they're strictly not needed. 

It's really nice to hear further reasoning behind them staying seasonal, even if I feel they add a lot to character uniqueness, and it feels a lot less frustrating this way. I do disagree somewhat with the notion that they - with maybe one exception - look bad or comical, that's just my view. 

So in short.. just thanks, really - your answer made me feel a lot less frustrated about losing some of the looks I was really enjoying for most of the year.  Sleeping bee