Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Extractable chems from Alien Fish! [fishing changes]
Another thought while the ideas are still fresh-water, is the alien fish could contain different chems that are extractable.
The Code Worm already has Liquid code as an extraction so it stands to reason that the others could have something to!

what comes to mind so far is:
  • Meat mutant = meat slurry, or any other meat related chem?
  • Eye fish = oculine
  • Void fish = dark matter? or Liquid Spacetime?
  • Sun fish = something incredibly hot and/or explosive?
  • Blobfish = something blob related, maybe Strange Green Goop?
  • Lava fish = napalm goo or Phlogiston?
  • Molten fish = welding fuel or charcoal?
  • Golden fish = Sparkles? idk something valuable or greed related?
  • Ling fish = ling blood
  • Tree fish = compost or something plant related
  • Cyborg Fish = Nanomachines (Nanites)
-
this would effectively bring fishing closer to how botany works. Allowing for other methods to get chems through some effort in getting to these secret fishing spots.

Post what you like or what you'd change!

btw the fish names I used are the ones from the code, so they aren't quite the same as the ones ingame / on the wiki
As someone who plays angler a lot, I'm a huge fan of ideas to give it more content and use for its items -- however, this path makes me uneasy.  There have been multiple forum threads in the past couple months talking about how chemistry already has several other departments treading so thoroughly on its toes that its become something many players consider to be a problem [x][x][x].  Turning angler into another source of many rare chems feels like it would exacerbate the existing issue.

Beyond those concerns, I would also recommend not putting nanites in the cyborg fish.  It's one of the easier fish to get quickly (on station), and in large amounts (not much else in the fishing pool).  Oil (pure oil, not fish oil) would make more sense to me, as it would allow you to extract it and oil the actual cyborgs for buffs.
I'm with JOELED, while the idea itself is great and fishing needs more content, this isn't the right time to be adding it. We need to fix The Chemistry Problem™ first and figure out a way for Science to be a more extroverted department which other departments rely on.

That being said, I have mentioned this before, but in my mind the best solution is to introduce fish that do unique things or can be used in unique ways. Fish as hats, fish as guns, fish as food (with actual buffs), fire extinguisher fish, fish that can be used as a telephone, etc., there are endless possibilities and directions to go with the concepts of alien fish and I'd rather we cover those first to make it more unique and exciting to find very specific fish.
Combine rare fish with Cooking to make fun food buffs! big grin
That cool I’m in !
Even if this isn't the right direction, I certainly agree that adding some use to each fish would be a good add. Maybe not chems, but silly messages or things to do with each fish sounds fun enough.