Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Boxing - Less lethal, more showy.
Simple idea change to make the boxing ring more of a show with one clear winner and less of a deathmatch - A hit knocking someone under a certain HP threshold (assuming both or just the puncher is wearing gloves) should knock them totally of the ring and cause the bell to ding.

The idea here is that immediately separating the two and having someone indicated as a winner would cut down on two people just punching each other to death. Many a time I've seen two people go at it until someone just fucking dies.

The "win" can be indicated by either the bell dinging, maybe the fireworks go off, maybe a fake crowd cheer noise.
Great idea, I like making boxing more focused into just knocking out your opponent, could also make it so that if you're wearing boxing gloves, punches deals no brute damage and only stamina damage? Or maybe less brute, that way you would punch your opponent until they're knocked out (stamina crit) and not kill them even if you kept punching, and it would be quite clear whos the winner when the other side cannot get up, and is not dead.
I think Having them do damage, and being a knockout under a certain threshold (only in the boxing ring) is good, with The bell going off
i like this idea, i think it would get people to use the boxing ring more too. and it would add a new angle to sneakily slipping a horseshoe into your gloves! suddenly it's a lot scarier when the other guy isn't getting back up.
(05-28-2024, 02:16 PM)Doop Wrote: and it would add a new angle to sneakily slipping a horseshoe into your gloves! suddenly it's a lot scarier when the other guy isn't getting back up.

That's a good idea. Horseshoe gloves should prevent it and let you kill them or something.
Agreed. it would be great to have the ability to genuinely spar in a round. Security training people. Challenges for minor escalations "settled in the ring" so on with that reduced potential lethality but still allowing the players to having to literally pull punches.  Just make sure the radio host has a good view to comment on the match.
To be honest, the last thing i wished with boxing matches is them beimg even longer than they already are. Once you got two remotly robust fighters, these can take ages.
Great idea also when ring ding should erh lock the arena so no people jump in or accident run out before rind runout should be great
(05-29-2024, 04:42 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: To be honest, the last thing i wished with boxing matches is them beimg even longer than they already are. Once you got two remotly robust fighters, these can take ages.

this is more to do with how Robust Combat occurs, where robust players are just... wiggly. trying to perfectly time clicking hitting each other with the click delay is a pain in the rear when both of you are playing defensive.

double that for folk with motor skills issues etc. i wouldnt mind further steps away from the weird 3-minute boogie where nobody lands a hit on each other.
So let me get thsi straight.. the idea is.. if you hit the bell it goes into "boxing mode" and if anyone hits the floor.. the fight ends.

But if we use it the old fashioned way it can be a wrestling ring right?
(05-30-2024, 01:26 AM)TDHooligan Wrote:
(05-29-2024, 04:42 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: To be honest, the last thing i wished with boxing matches is them beimg even longer than they already are. Once you got two remotly robust fighters, these can take ages.

this is more to do with how Robust Combat occurs, where robust players are just... wiggly. trying to perfectly time clicking hitting each other with the click delay is a pain in the rear when both of you are playing defensive.

double that for folk with motor skills issues etc. i wouldnt mind further steps away from the weird 3-minute boogie where nobody lands a hit on each other.

What if the boxing ring applied like a "boxing mode" that heavily slows down people so it becomes more about precision and timing your strikes and less about who has the better micro. Could heavily increase the damage people do to shorten matches, turn it more into a "rock paper scissors" thing akin to kendo. Could be a status that gets applied when entering the ring, maybe even via the gong.
(05-31-2024, 02:51 PM)Glamurio Wrote: What if the boxing ring applied like a "boxing mode" that heavily slows down people so it becomes more about precision and timing your strikes and less about who has the better micro. Could heavily increase the damage people do to shorten matches, turn it more into a "rock paper scissors" thing akin to kendo. Could be a status that gets applied when entering the ring, maybe even via the gong.

Giving certain moves like with kendo would actually be a neat idea. I would love to be able to give tider mc staffie an uppercut and throw them into the corner.

Why not tie the slowdown to special boxing boots? Maybe have them permanently the speed down effect but a different bonus like e.g. desorient resist. That way, the boots would be a poor mans magboots for loot-purposes but also fulfill their role in the ring.
1 thing that I forgot is we already has kendo which is more showy and non lethal. But rare see.