Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.75 Average
[CLOSED PR] Adds telesci accident error chance to all runs by the untrained
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[INPUT WANTED] [FEATURE] [CONTROVERSIAL] [SCIENCE]
About the PR
Makes it so all telesci uses regardless of accuracy can cause a accident if used by a untrained individual.

Why's this needed?
Maybe tinkering with the volatile equipment when unqualified should cause a error or two, basic lab safety and all that. Adds more to scientist training and local telesci's usages are small or abusable, should just be saved for those doing the job.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Cheekybrdy
(*)Telescience systems are more volatile, using them without training can cause accidents regardless of current coordinates.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
How would this affect packet-controlled telepads?
Okay, uh I have problems with this. This seems would bring an issue on lowpop. If a scientist get stranded in azone need someone to activate the portal, AI is inactive, nobody could help them out, because they are barred from telesci completely by game mechanic. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if this PR is to just increase the risk of accident and not disallowing non sci completely from using telesci. Not to mention, there are a lot of telesci exploration teams that includes staffie and other non sci members, because maybe other scientist are not interested or there are not a lot of scientist to begin with. I feel like if this get merged, this would ended up making telesci and azone in general are exclusive to sci only.

Edit : I forgot to add another reason why I am not a fan of this idea. I feel like this will make telesci abuseable in another way. Another failure from using telesci is to summon critter and nasty NPC. I can imagine if someone abuse this to be able to summon hostile NPC. Iirc, some of the NPC includes hostile drones. So yeah, don't know how this will somehow make telesci "less abuseable"
(05-27-2024, 11:31 PM)Emimiyu Wrote: Okay, uh I have problems with this. This seems would bring an issue on lowpop. If a scientist get stranded in azone need someone to activate the portal, AI is inactive, nobody could help them out, because they are barred from telesci completely by game mechanic. Maybe this wouldn't be an issue if this PR is to just increase the risk of accident and not disallowing non sci completely from using telesci. Not to mention, there are a lot of telesci exploration teams that includes staffie and other non sci members, because maybe other scientist are not interested or there are not a lot of scientist to begin with. I feel like if this get merged, this would ended up making telesci and azone in general are exclusive to sci only.

Edit : I forgot to add another reason why I am not a fan of this idea. I feel like this will make telesci abuseable in another way. Another failure from using telesci is to summon critter and nasty NPC. I can imagine if someone abuse this to be able to summon hostile NPC. Iirc, some of the NPC includes hostile drones. So yeah, don't know how this will somehow make telesci "less abuseable"

Telesci can still be used by non-scientists, as far as I can tell, the PR only adds a chance of side effects happening. It‘d make sense for a staffie who has to recall a scientist to not have perfect telesci skills. Mistakes happen! I agree with your second point though, this doesn‘t make telesci less abuseable at all. Invalid coords can still be spammed with an even higher chance for errors.
I don't like this, makes it frustrating. Would be funnier if the tgui was scrambled or said jokey stuff that's hard to understand
The telesci console just appears as an old map with "Here be dragone coordinates" on it.
Sound funny and dangerous in the same time need to see response from the game but in my opinion is similar to emimiyu in will great in average pop but in low pop this can turn into night mare and potential round end.