Kara's Mentor Application
Usual Character Names: Kara Goodman, Kara Brunswick, Kara Badwoman (Totally a bad woman)
BYOND Username: AmorphousDepression 
Discord Username: lingo0blob
Recommended by: Nobody in particular, but have heard encouragement from various people I've helped out on station
Goon Servers I play: Goon 1, Originally Goon 2 before it was taken out behind the woodshed and shot. Would be more than open to try 3/4 or act as a mentor to folks there, but have never tried RP before and have only a very loose understanding of RP rules in general.

Game Experience: (I play the 2d spessperson game too much) I've been an active member in the Goonstation community for almost 4 years across over a thousand hours and ~1700 shifts. I have a practical understanding of most roles barring some outliers (Ranching is foreign to me, Botany I only have a surface level understanding of (I can grow weed and nothing else)), and as a Captain main on goon2 when it was still up, a large part of my round-start routine every shift was being relied on to start the TEG, calibrate solars, or bolt open medical/set up cryo for injured crew seeking medics that do not exist, and overall responding to crew member issues when there were no people in the relevant departments to take care of it themselves, nor an ai to assist. I've spent many shifts helping newbee players in roles they don't understand get a grasp on the basic game mechanics and their departments, from science to engineering to medical, and honestly have found it very fulfilling to help see a new player go from locking themselves in their office when they drop their id in confusion, to expertly linging me in a maint. 

Reason for Application: (The long part) (oh no more reading) (*scream) As someone who is pursuing a teaching degree IRL, I find teaching new players and seeing them move on to teaching and helping others, or learning something new and excitedly sharing it with others to be a special kind of joy that few things in life can replicate. Space Station 13 is not exactly a new player friendly game, the immense number of interlocking systems, obscured mechanics, and secrets to discover, it's a truly unique experience but not an easy one to get into or share with people not as... ADHD inclined as the majority of us here, so the ability for new players to get into and enjoy the game lays entirely on us, the current playerbase, to be welcoming and understanding of the learning curve they face. I for one would love to take the knowledge and experience I've accumulated over the years and share it with those who haven't had the chance to yet, and encourage them to explore and discover some secrets of their own. I also spend a lot of time in game and would be available to answer mentorhelps both while in round and in discord while playing other games.

Previous Bans: (I will never financially recover from this) I don't have the cleanest record the past 4 years, before I came back late last year I was banned for being too friendly with a spief as a captain, and before that were a few general self-antagging-shittery bwoinks, my first ever ban when I was a newbee was ttving a crowd at escape as non antag, for example. However, since coming back last year I've only gotten a day's timeout for extending a shift to 90+ minutes to achieve a Sol round, which admittedly was not as fun an experience for those not participating in the azones themselves. I feel that those past bans were learning experiences to grow from, and look back on my actions then with embarrassment, not pride. 

Reason for you to +1 this post: I will send this deadly Space Bear to your current location if you don't.  space bear
Have see Kara in goon1 often especially low pop time I pretty sure see Kara teach people more than once in this week (for some reason this week has many new player join this game so much ) to be honest I really not good at recognize people name but yeah I see this name often enough to notice. Other than that base on the write hour time play can show how experienced she has however it should be great to write how good you are in each department to show how expert you are.+1
Kara is a vet through and through, they could easily address mhelps. also OH GOD THE BEARS BREATHING DOWN MY NECK AHH AHH AAAH +1.
I like Kara as a player, and I think they could make a fine mentor - if she adjusts herbehavior somewhat.

Having game knowledge gives a very striking advantage over other players that I think a mentor needs to be very careful to not abuse - and I think sometimes Kara can go a little bit overboard - grabbing sechuds every roundstart when she plays HoP lately, etc.

The most prominent anecdote that comes to mind is the shift where I was an arcfiend using a really obvious (and really funny) stomper trap to cause some chaos on a lowpop shift (I believe the average population of the shift was about 25). I didn't go out and actively murder people, but my trap was causing chaos to people that walked into it - I think it was fair to say I deserved to die as an antag, or at least that it was justified to kill me.

What I'm not sure is justified is that Kara, as the captain that shift, used her game knowledge to acquire 3(I think 3?) Alastor rifles from the location where they spawn and 4 claretine-coated power cells to spend the next half-hour hunting me down while there were 2 to 3 security officers in the round.

Overall, I would say that Kara has the brains to become mentor, but I think they need to find a better balance between doing fun things and making sure they're not using what they know in an overbearing way - I would also suggest focusing slightly less on catching antagonists when playing captain and HoP.

I do want to note that I don't mean this as a personal attack - I've played with Kara for almost my entire time playing SS13, and I know she's a decent person who does genuinely want to help out.
We really appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to some concerns regarding your behaviour. Feel free to reach out to us via discord if you wish to get some additional info.