Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Forced Random Name Rounds
I see a lot of people sticking together on rounds because they know each other, and while I don't think its bad, it'd be a lot more interesting and chaotic if people were forced to use random names and appearances for a round. People also tend to use their mindhacks on players they know are good at the game and robust, and that's kind of boring, since it happens all the time on traitor rounds.
In short, I think having rounds where everyone has a random name and appearance would make for loads more interesting rounds and gimmicks, since people wouldn't know who their friends are, leading to more chaos and less of the same traitor gimmicks. This should happen exclusively on classic and not roleplay though, and having it be every 4 rounds would be the best in my opinion.
There's definitely ways I could've worded this better, but I hopefully got the general idea across.
Not a bad suggestion. We could call it the clergical error.

BUT... I don't think this will solve anything cause their appearance is the same and so are their mannerisms.

So it becomes a conundrum to change their appearance too, but then mutations come into play like roach/pug/bovine/dino wich even remixed might tip off who's who.

Then when everything is completely random... players don't wanna play since they can't be who they are, since suddenly they might roll a look they don't want at all.

So while the idea is admirable... it trickles down in some ways.
(03-06-2023, 05:18 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Not a bad suggestion. We could call it the clergical error.

BUT... I don't think this will solve anything cause their appearance is the same and so are their mannerisms.

So it becomes a conundrum to change their appearance too, but then mutations come into play like roach/pug/bovine/dino wich even remixed might tip off who's who.

Then when everything is completely random... players don't wanna play since they can't be who they are, since suddenly they might roll a look they don't want at all.

So while the idea is admirable... it trickles down in some ways.

that's fair, yeah, but I did mean to say random name and appearance rounds, but I was worried it'd be too long for a post title. I think a lot of these issues could be solved by putting some effort into them, like having the random appearance not be completely random, rather it sticking to your same general skin color and pronouns. I'm not sure how mutations would be handled though, maybe just randomizing those too would work. I don't think this idea would be very hard to test, (minus the random appearance not being completely random thing, it'd take some effort to code) since I've seen the admins do random name and appearance rounds before, so doing it every so often to gauge player reaction wouldn't be that hard.
We have done this before as an rp event (with random forced appearance). I personally didn't find it all that fun since everyone was acting goofy as hell (since they weren't their main character they're invested in) and I prefer a more serious rp

As for mind hacking it's kind of an unavoidable thing, but ahelp if you have suspicious of cliquery and we can note a pattern of behavior.
(03-06-2023, 05:56 AM)Cal Wrote: We have done this before as an rp event (with random forced appearance). I personally didn't find it all that fun since everyone was acting goofy as hell (since they weren't their main character they're invested in) and I prefer a more serious rp

As for mind hacking it's kind of an unavoidable thing, but ahelp if you have suspicious of cliquery and we can note a pattern of behavior.

yeah, that's why I said it should happen on classic exclusively. the issues I'm talking about don't really apply on RP
forcing random names/appearances on people has been the fastest way to collectively upset the entire playerbase and as funny as it is as a one-off admin gag i can't see "surprise, that character you set up and configured just doesn't get to happen this round smile" would make the anger problem worse
(03-06-2023, 09:09 AM)Zamujasa Wrote: forcing random names/appearances on people has been the fastest way to collectively upset the entire playerbase and as funny as it is as a one-off admin gag i can't see "surprise, that character you set up and configured just doesn't get to happen this round smile" would make the anger problem worse

Can confirm - people's jimmies get rustled when admins do this. Maybe having it be more of a regular thing would normalize it, especially if it were telegraphed beforehand (as in, there was a pre-round warning that informed everyone that their characters would be randomized), but people seem to like keeping to a set of identities that they play with, even on Classic. This can be negative, in the sense that you can immediately gauge who you're up against if you know them, but some people relish in/make the most of it to the benefit of the round. (Treeby would be my go-to example for that on Classic - antag or no, they're always up to something, and it's great.)