Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Add night vision goggles to the armory
Rainbow 
Night vision goggles have a bunch of interesting gameplay implications when given to security. If there's a sink or some other form of similar sabotage, security could trade their sec-HUDs and thus immunity to flashes for improved vision in the dark. This could also add in some counter-play where traitors steal all the night vision goggles in the armory before laying down their sink so they have an advantage in the darkness. It's always fun to add more cool tools and doodads to sec's arsenal, especially stuff that has practical uses.
I support this idea. Perhaps we could combine the functions of thermal goggles and night-vision goggles into one item? That way we avoid bloating the number of tools available to Security, while also giving thermal goggles more utility outside of cloakers.
(09-03-2018, 05:48 PM)SimianC Wrote: I support this idea. Perhaps we could combine the functions of thermal goggles and night-vision goggles into one item? That way we avoid bloating the number of tools available to Security, while also giving thermal goggles more utility outside of cloakers.

Yeah, It could just have an always on function, and instead of toggling it off like how mesons work, clicking the HUD icon just swaps between the two modes.

OHHHH, or what if they just brighten the sprites of people in the night vision mode to highlight them, combining the functions of seeing in the dark and highlighting people like thermals do
(09-03-2018, 06:41 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(09-03-2018, 05:48 PM)SimianC Wrote: I support this idea. Perhaps we could combine the functions of thermal goggles and night-vision goggles into one item? That way we avoid bloating the number of tools available to Security, while also giving thermal goggles more utility outside of cloakers.

Yeah, It could just have an always on function, and instead of toggling it off like how mesons work, clicking the HUD icon just swaps between the two modes.

OHHHH, or what if they just brighten the sprites of people in the night vision mode to highlight them, combining the functions of seeing in the dark and highlighting people like thermals do

In the past, thermal goggles used to be very good and the trade off between walking around with sunglasses vs thermals was sometimes an actual decision to make. They let you see cloaks, see 3 tiles further in the dark, back when darkness meant the tile was a complete black square, and you could see every mob on your screen no matter if they were behind walls or whatever. And now the only use for thermals is to give you a red tint on your vision and for seeing cloaks. 

I think I saw a post by you in an older thread that suggested thermals should allow you to see people through walls and such except that it's only a blur. That sounds like this suggestion too except minus the walls and highlighting the sprites and I like it. Technically thermals are supposed to let you see farther in the dark, but they don't. I always assumed the night vision goggles were equally broken. 

If both items continue to exist independently, then I think that they should each do these things:

thermals -  Let you see cloaks, see people through walls, but just as amorphous blobs you can't examine. 
night vision goggles - See more tiles in the dark, and that part about making the sprites brighter so you can see.

----------------------

Regarding the original post, yes. Add 2 or so pairs of night vision goggles to the armory. I'm not sure if they work since I've never used them, but what's the harm, it's not like it's something really dangerous.
(09-03-2018, 07:59 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Technically thermals are supposed to let you see farther in the dark, but they don't. I always assumed the night vision goggles were equally broken. 

Yeah, thermals do not help you see in the dark whatsoever. I remember night vision goggles working very well the last time I was a syndie though, it was like having the night vision genetics mutation almost.