Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
passive regen for oxygen tanks
i think small and large oxygen tanks should be able to regenerate air while standing in an area with air. this would allow them to regenerate air quickly and it should cap off at 2x the minimum needed before you start suffocating so you dont have people just standing around to fill up their oxygen tanks to max. in my opinion this is a much better solution to monkeying around with air canisters
My initial response was no, but thinking about this further, the only way for a non-engineering, non-research crewmember to refill an oxygen tank is by breaking into EVA or having access to somewhere they shouldn't (or asking for help.) I think that the intended system is that, when the station is breached, a head position unlocks EVA Storage for use. However, breaches are so common (and very easy to produce) that it's not considered an emergency worthy of any real attention.

I think this idea goes against the ideal for Space Station 13, which is crew cooperation to reach goals, but I also feel that we're so far off from that ideal that oxygen tanks passively refilling would just be a nice quality of life upgrade.
Wasn't someone gonna make an air tank refill vending machine type thing?
If you're just after AIR, not 02, then there's also the northern storage above the miniature medbay, as well as various canisters scattered throughout maint (check near the atmo hookups). This only applies to the cogmaps, on the other maps air supplies, IME, are much more difficult to come by.

This is a pretty cool idea, and so is the vending machine idea. Either sounds awesome to me.
Unless they changed, an unused etank filled with air and set to 81/71kPa lasts pretty much an entire round. Air is available in every station afaik. The real problem there is finding an etank if you don't have one. I don't mind giving up a belt slot, but a back slot is too expensive.

I'm more for the vending machine. Very nanotrasen. Also reminds me of Spaceballs which is an absolute plus. Also never knew my Dairy-air idea was partially ripped off from Spaceballs somehow. Makes sense. I'm not that creative.

Anyways, point is - a vented area is a hazard. The goal shouldn't be to remove that hazard, but to make it manageable. Also to make it where it isn't all round every round. If we need rebreathers in SS13 to function then we're just treating the symptom.