Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Floor Farming
pretext: Someone suggested combining Hydroponics with bar/chef. I feel like Hydroponics just needs something more fun to play with, rather then getting rid of it entirely.

Spreading "sufficient" compost on the ground should let you grow things on it.

Reasons for: 

Grass already grows on the floor.

We could have Corn Mazes, which coincidentally would be a maizing

Nerds could trample each others crops.

Reasons against:

Lag from more objects being on the floor. Also someone spamming compost smoke and turning captains office into a marijuana farm. (Also a plus I guess?)

Balence suggestions:

Hydroponics pots let you see reagents inside the plant as normal because they got fancy sensors and whatever. Dirt farming just shows a dirt overlay and can get easily washed away, also wears off because erosion.

Compost can only be made by botanist using the normal method, which means they have to make plants to make dirt. Also this would require WAY MORE compost so you'd have to make a lot of it, or buy a lot of bags of compost to dirt farm effectively.

Alternative balance: rather then just spamming compost on the floor, you have to buy a special brand from QM.

Block certain plants from being grown on the floor.

Or just skip the compost part and let us grow corn on the floor because corn mazes sound fun. Plus Grass and Corn are probably both cereal grains or something.

Thoughts?
This sounds amazing! I'd totally be down for a corn maze of crop circle like thing.
Crop circles to summon martian ambassadors. You've got my vote!
(03-02-2016, 08:02 PM)atomic1fire Wrote: Lag from more objects being on the floor. Also someone spamming compost smoke and turning captains office into a marijuana farm. (Also a plus I guess?)
Definitely a plus.

also spreading compost on the floor would technically mean that poo is back
Definitely seems like a unique and novel idea! I'm all for it. Corn mazes would be great to get lost in, or maybe even stash bodies... Spring Cleaning

(03-03-2016, 04:14 PM)Mageziya Wrote: also spreading compost on the floor would technically mean that poo is back
viva la poo
Anything that give agency to fArtists, I say. I just can't think of how to keep it from being overdone. Then again I can't think of much right now -- I really shouldn't be posting after being up 36+ hours.

I disagree about botany being boring though. I may just be a simple kind of man, but I never get tired of making exploding triple citrucannibis clockwork chilioranges.
Poo is back, but in a way that is actually fun and doesn't slip people or lead to server drama.

Also I just sorta imagined compost to be grinded up veggies.