Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cogstation 2: Mining department suggestions
So I was bored and was looking up the current version of Cog 2 thats up on goon hub (URL here http://www.goonhub.com/maps/cogmap2#l=166,151,1;z=0.2 )
Sometimes when I play SS13 I like playing as a Miner/QM when I want to do a normal round where I have no real experiments or gimmicks on my mind. It's like my default, laid back job. Mine, make the station cash. Etc.

Unfortunately Qm is a bit father than mining in Cog 2 than cog 1. This isn't the problem though. The problem is the mining department layout is very inefficient. Not only does mining not have access to the QM pod hanger like in the current map. The department feels more cramped, and the placement of the mineral magnet control console is in a bad spot. This was my first real complaint about the whole thing that I brought up to Cog on the IRC.

Take a look at this picture

[Image: TRINr3I.png]

As you can tell from here, You would need to walk through 2 slow opening doors and walk around a glass wall to get to it if you wanted call in for a new rock. This slows down the miner/s rate of ore collection down further. Since you already have to wait for a cool down, go to the terminal, call in a new rock, wait for the new rock to be "pulled" (Spawned) in. Then repeat. Travel time should be short from the mining platform to the terminal and back.

And yes, there will be some of you that will argue that you could just put it on automatic mode, but... Automatic mode doesn't give a DAMN if there is any ore still left that needs to be collected before it decides to spawn in a new rock. I normally leave it off. Even if I am min/maxing, using a drill mounted pod and 3 large ore satchels you can get for free out near the tech outpost on the debris Z level. If a rock is proving to be difficult, or I ran out of space in my bags. I like to know I can dump more ore into a crate, without having to worry about the rest vanishing before I am done with it.

ANYWAY

To go back on topic. Cog was looking for other suggestions for the mining department to improve it. One suggestion I pitched was add something like a control panel or lever right on the side of the wall next to the mineral magnet. It has not advanced controls. You just press a button (or pull the lever) and it activates the magnet if its ready. Leaving the Control terminal inside so the CE can do advanced things like skip the cooldown to make the next cycle come in faster.

If you pull the lever or push a button it should have different states for example:
"Gruff McPub pulled the lever to activate the magnet. The lever locked into place as the magnet activated successfully." Or
"Gruff McPubs Pulled the lever. It popped back up with a grumpy beep! Something is triggering the safety system!" (Like a player or pod is in the magnet area)
"Gruff McPubs pulled the lever. It locked down but the magnet didn't start! It's probably still cooling off."

Anyway post any ideas you have for mining to help cog work on it!
I didn't realize the magnet console was that far from the magnet... Maybe it's supposed to be with at least 2 miners (1 mining and 1 activating it)?
medsal15 Wrote:I didn't realize the magnet console was that far from the magnet... Maybe it's supposed to be with at least 2 miners (1 mining and 1 activating it)?

Each time you mine you're going to need to go back into the station anyways to shove the ore into the reclaimer, on you're last trip just hit the console and pull another one in on your way out.
I normally like to go 3 or 6 rocks worth of minerals loaded into a crate before I bring it in for sorting for the QM to sell.