Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Mining Magnet Fun
So we've got the mining magnet and it was a good addition to the station. To up the risk/reward ratio for the miners though I think we should add more things that the mining magnet can capture. Miners could then use the scanners to figure out what is out there and either reel it in or blast it away using the magnet. Here are some things that might be pulled in:

Asteroids: We've got these already and they should definitely stay and of course be the most common item out there. It IS mining after all.

Station Wreckage: Enough stations have been destroyed now that there should be a chance to pull in station wreckage. Contains various mundane items and maybe a special item or two. May also contain angry buddies that protect whatever that station holds (think purge but only within a certain distance of the station wreckage).

Alien Ships: Sometimes abandoned and like the station wreckage, sometimes full of friendly aliens/traders, other times hostile aliens and will aim to destroy the mining magnet to escape with their ship, badmin option for the aliens/blobs/replicants/emagged bots to invade the station proper.

Escape Pods: Much like Alien Ships but smaller and with a higher treasure to junk ratio.

Bombs/Space Mines: Defuse it fast or kiss the mining wing goodbye.

Defense Platforms: A maze of deadly turrets and stuff that, if dismantled, will make the mechanic's day. Merge with Chemical Canisters/Station Wreckage/Chemical Canisters/Quarantine Unit.

Chemical Canisters: Large quantities of various chemicals/gases. Just hope they aren't damaged/about to explode.

Quarantine Unit: Contains pathogen and perhaps sick folks. Pathology might like to see them. Possible reward for a cure.

Artifacts: Comes in multiple flavors, offering up a variety of different themed artifact types (space wizard, organic, tech, ect). Perhaps a chance of a large, immobile artifact of awesomeness at the center.

And whatever else we could come up with. Perhaps sometimes have the scanner be wrong or perhaps sometimes using the 'repulse' command on the magnet is the wrong choice. I could see an alien ship thinking that it was an attack for example.

Thoughts, ideas?
I'd like this. Would give more of scavenging aspect to mining.
Re-add mineral veins to the asteroids in the debris field IMO.
Dabir Wrote:Re-add mineral veins to the asteroids in the debris field IMO.
I disagree. Mining should be more about production and materials not exploration, I'm guessing that's why the mining magnet was added. Whilst it's true that it used to be the exploration job, I think a whole new job could fill in the role better. I made this thread for those kind of ideas: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4759

More mining magnet variety would be fun though.
There should be some chance that it accidentally pulls in part of the station.
The mining magnet is cool, I just want miners to have the option to possibly find some rare minerals out there. It's a bit more interesting than push button, get rock, click on rock, push button.