Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Space Fungus 'Mutations'
As I was reading the 'make space fungus grow' thread it struck me that it could be fun to have space fungus be a simple, round randomized research opportunity.

The idea is that space fungus has a number of traits that are dormant and that spraying the space fungus with a combination of mutagen and one or more reagents would trigger any traits that match said reagent. Once 'mutated' no further traits can be unlocked by spraying the same fungus again... unless it has been first reverted to normal space fungus by being hit with mutadone.

Traits could include:
Producing Hot/Cold
Producing various gasses
Consuming Atmosphere
Being Radioactive
Shooting Toxic/Healing/Hallucinogenic Spores
Growing
Creating Light
Special Artifact Triggers

And I'm sure there are a dozen other triggers that could be used. This would allow for the creation of good or bad zones within the station using the environment and would be readily accessible to Staff Assistants and other nerds with maintenance access. It would also make maitenence scarier which is a good thing.
How about a mushroom that makes you big when you eat it?
Frank_Stein Wrote:How about a mushroom that makes you big when you eat it?

Do the giant cluwnes have custom sprites or is that just the sprite scaled larger. I assume if it's just set to a specific scale a growthshroom could do that.
Only if some make you small when eaten also. Alice in wonderland style.
What about the ones that do nothing at all?
Amuys Wrote:What about the ones that do nothing at all?
I think thats because they for some reason have no reagent in them, honestly a bunch of foodstuffs need to be revisited to have reagents in them.
It would be kinda neat if radstorms could also trigger some mutations.
Can't this all be bundled into the existing botany mutation suggestion thread, as these are all suggestions for a specific botany plant.
Sam Guivene Wrote:Can't this all be bundled into the existing botany mutation suggestion thread, as these are all suggestions for a specific botany plant.
Yes and no? I mean, I think they were referring to the fungus that grows on walls, which almost anyone can interact with so it wouldn't strictly be a botanist thing. But it's definitely related to it.
Also, if spreading/mutating fungus becomes a thing, that can be a great addition to whatever this Swamp/Carcosa adventure map planned is.
Sam Guivene Wrote:Can't this all be bundled into the existing botany mutation suggestion thread, as these are all suggestions for a specific botany plant.

My thread was specifically about wall fungus. The other suggestions about mushroom fungus certainly could though.

Only if it includes a Mario Sound-Effect or the Metal Slug "WHUH OH! BIIIIIGGGG!" when you eat it