Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ore Processing blast-proofing
I didn't think this would be necessary at first, but... given that the Arc Smelter seems to explode every other round due to people piling in erebite and plasmastone (and even regular ores, seeing as they're currently bugged to explode for some reason), I have to suggest it:

Please give the Ore Processing room and the Arc Smelter some fucking explosion resistance.

As someone who sometimes likes to play a Miner and get away from it all, I like to do stuff with my mining spoils later on. Bare in mind that mining isn't always a fast job: it can take something like thirty-to-fifty minutes to gather copious amounts of all the available ores unless the Miner has a stroke of luck with miracle matter, so naturally it is massively frustrating to make a triumphant return to the station only to see a gigantic crater where the Arc Smelter is supposed to be. It's a pretty huge pain for Scientists too, as reagents now have all sorts of diverse effects on materials and they would like nothing more than to test them and see what does what, when someone all of the sudden brings in a QM-ordered crate of erebite and blows Ore Processing sky high. And this isn't even counting that ores are currently bugged and go up in a violent fireball whenever the game feels like it, or whenever someone adds a certain chemical (no I'm not saying which one) to make them explode.

Short version: judging from past rounds, there's roughly an 80-90% chance that the Arc Smelter will be destroyed every round. This is way too high for there not to be any relevant blast-proofing in Ore Processing at all.

So, suggestions for fixing it? Well, for one: make the Arc Smelter immune by explosions. This is the main problem whenever someone carelessly handles volatile material, it usually takes the smelter out in the boom and ruins it for everyone else. As for room integrity itself, the reinforced floors under the smelter aren't enough, so perhaps the floors and walls of Ore Processing should all just be made of bohrum (which has high explosion resistance) or something as an example of what smelting can do.

I admit that I'm just spit-balling ideas, but I'm really getting tired of Ore Processing being destroyed so easily because of explosive materials and a bug.
This and adding broken and dented sprites to the Fabricator would be nice. I'd like to fix the thing once in a while!
At the very least if someone's gonna blow the arc smeltor up make them work for it. Chemists and scientists can pull some nasty explosions. If you can blow up the ore processing area you should get a medal. It should not be easy. Make it a challenge.

Yes to blast proofing the ore processing area.
At the very least if someone's gonna blow the arc smeltor up make them work for it. Chemists and scientists can pull some nasty explosions. If you can blow up the ore processing area you should get a medal. It should not be easy. Make it a challenge.

Yes to blast proofing the ore processing area.
The room definitely needs blast proofing, but I agree that the smelter itself should be damageable, but not completely destructible. We should be able to fix it with a welder, and maybe a few sheets of metal? And maybe we could substitute the metal with an alloy to make the thing more resistant to damage?
A damageable but fixable Arc Smelter is something I'd be okay with. The pressing issue is the smelter in its current state being completely unsalvageable; while literally EVERYTHING ELSE in the game has a fix or workaround, a destroyed smelter just doesn't, and I find this a little unfair. If it could be repaired and reinforced (with sturdier alloys optional) instead of just being outright deleted, that'd be more than acceptable.
It's still an early work in progress thing, but yeah, it'll get some more protection.
On that note sabotage should be possible.

I want to swap out a metal plate with one laced with wielding fuel or black powder so the next time someone uses the arc smelter it explodes.