Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Extreme Heat Should Break Windows
Lightbulb 
Any windows that are less tough than plasmaglas ones should take damage from severe heat (such as plasmafires) and eventualy break.
Not only is this realistic, as glas indeed breaks from great temperatures, but it gives plasmafires more chances to spread, especially in places like the Cogmap 2 TEG chamber, motivating engineers to actually reeinforce or replace glas.
While cool.. this is a nightmare to deal with. For one reason alone.. you are buffing Plasma fires.

"But plasma fires barely spread when they start" Yea but they are also a NIGHTMARE TO FIGHT in convined spaces.
If they spread a bit or are ignited in huge rooms... the best way with deal with em is breaking open a room and let it gas out.. and then you gotta reoxygen it.. wich is even MORE ANNOYING.

But what this also does.. is make it too powerful and spread to bigger areas in no time.

Also it means maintance shafts are a NO GO for plasma fires since.. "Glass broken and now it vented it self"

So not only does it buff it in bigger crowded areas.. it nerfs it on the edges of the maps.

So this is why I say no.
Most stations have large stretches of area connected to space via window for pretty viewing, and it'd pretty quickly vent out all the o2/plasma and put out the fire, so I don't think this would work.
While cool, I pretty much think any changes to basic station structural integrity are fundamental enough that you'd need something really big to justify overhauling it. I mean I do like it like I like more explosive decompressions, bullet holes in venting air, so on, those are cool spacey ideas and I'd be down for them, but I also think they'd need to come alongside a much bigger "We overhauled atmos/maps/xyz" package. It would be a big and yeah, pretty lethal deal as things work right now if say, I plasma fired botany on Cog1. We'd have to change the uh, combustion chamber up too, and then there's things like how you handle heat surging artifacts (which are pretty dangerous just as they are now) Or if you let a clown with a lighter slowly melt a hole through the brig.

On a fundamental level though more dynamic interactions with glass and space exteriors are cool. I just think there's a lot of work under the hood of the idea.