Caroline Soupes HoS Application
Usual character name: Caroline Soupes, Grup Guppy, Il/legal Skeleton
BYOND username: CalliopeSoups
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Same as BYOND
Recommended by (if applicable): (I know I had one at least, but I forgot who... I'll edit you in if you remind me!)
Goon servers you play: Mainly classic, but I drop by RP 3 occasionally.

Reason for application:

I love this game a lot, as it might be obvious to some. I enjoy playing security (although I don't roll it as often as I used to) for one, but also as a mentor I just already like teaching newer players and HoS naturally tend to be who they ask, if one is present. I also feel like Classic is wanting for some new HoS players as, although it doesn't need to be the HoS, a leader role in the team can help a lot especially with the decisions you might need to make on classic and encouraging communication. I've delayed putting another application in for a while until I got medication but also because I tend to doubt myself a lot, but I've been giving the advice on calls and such for long enough and been cheered on by enough people that I'm up to trying again, even if it takes longer.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

I started playing security on RP, as I used to mainly play there. It took me a few months to build up the courage as the game kinda petrified me at the time, so I started with sec assistant and 'graduated' my character to officer after a while. I started pretty over eager I think, I remember enjoying one round where I caught someone and said "Shoot first, ask questions later!" and while I think the scene was funny I quickly learned to roleplay my arresting according to what the crimer is doing and how they're roleplaying it. Over time I gradually shifted to playing classic and I think it's been long enough to say I'm firmly a classic main, though I like playing RP sometimes too. The shorter round times and higher chaos with extra antags is what made me stick to it. Classic taught me (and is still teaching me) all the hard lessons like 'don't stand right next to the guy you know is evil'. Experience on both servers is very useful for security even if you don't end up liking one or the other, as I think classic trains you to know when to execute people while RP trains you to know when and how to spare them.

I've not really kept count on how long I've been a mentor for, but I've been playing HoS on fridays since becoming one so I've played the role enough to know that I enjoy it. While I've seen most situations at this point the game still manages to surprise me, and the variety of jobs on top of the social aspect keeps me coming back. Related a little to that, I don't exactly play security nearly as much as I used to. I thought this was a reason to delay applying at one point but realized how silly that was, as not playing security a bunch every day is a good thing evidently. 

I do think I still have things to work on, complicated problems can make it hard to come to any decisions and I know I've fumbled a lot of rounds because I let someone go worrying I'm going too hard. Above all I think it's just important to come to any decision and make apologies later if it wasn't right.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Situations often require nuance, don't stick too strictly to any code of conduct and just go with your head on things while working with your team. If you mess up, you mess up. It often leads to a more fun round when the antag escapes anyway. On the other hand if you were too eager with an execution, there's always the midround system or on RP, respawns. Don't feel too bad and just try your best.Also advice for classic especially, don't be afraid to brig people. Brig for silly things even, if you have the time. It gets you doing things when the round is slow and gives people actual consequences for breaking into places, stealing things from people etc.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    On RP: I was playing HoS with Silver Sun as my NTSC. We had a pirate Captain (I don't recall their name...) and I had a running bit with them where I hated pirates for some reason. At some point in the shift, Hot Werewolf Energy was distributed and Silver Sun drank some, turning them into a werewolf. We kept them in interrogation and fed them for a while, but they went mad so Caroline had to team up with the pirate Captain. They had a fun little moment and I've always remembered it as a highlight of playing security on RP. On classic: I was playing Grup and a stowaway spawned in the brig. He either hung out there for most of the round or broke out at some point then returned. Someone hotwired the engine and I wasn't aware, the stowaway rolled sleeper or some antag and had barricaded the brig maybe 30-40 minutes in. I touched one of the doors and lost an arm, yelling about it being gone. So I went down and broke through a window, then lost my other arm stepping over a wire. I had to be dragged to medbay while the stowaway was laughing...
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    A specialized spacing machine. I think some sort of automated court trial system would be really fun, even if it only gets used much on RP. I've said a lot that I really like Donut 3's courtroom; I wish every station had the kind of setup that one had. On top of that though I'd love it if the Captain could call an actual lawyer monkey, maybe from the list of observers. I also think an improved way to store contraband would be nice. My main issue with how it is now is you want the antag to be able to get in and blow up the contraband locker or something to get their stuff back if you confiscate it all, but most contraband lockers are located in places that are frequented quite often. If I was to do it, I'd have one specialized contraband storage in the quietest part of each security department that comes with some extra ways of breaking in on top of simply exploding it, using packets or an emag.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    If we have a full team, especially if it's a team of experienced players, I might not confiscate everything on an antag depending on what they have and what they've done. Of course I'm usually more harsh with my sentences if I'm the only officer, but even then it usually depends on how the round feels, what the population is and such.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

[*]
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I've always enjoyed nicking the cargo tug, painting it red and hauling the porta-brig in the back seat. I call it the secmobile, bonus points if you wear the siren hat. Apart from that I've always liked the idea of getting engineers to build stuff in the brig that prisoners have to do instead of waiting out a sentence. Cook a meal, be fed through a mechcomp contraption or something.

[*]
  • Draw a picture!
    I was going to be no..... I too tired zzz

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):

I've asked for a self ban twice I think..? Once at least, for a week. Apart from that I think I've just received one or two small warnings.
Didn't draw a picture, -1

But in all seriousness I've had enough experience playing with you as a HOS and being a security officer under your command during fridays and I can confidently say that you 100% deserve to be a HOS. I've never seen you ever be a bad actor and you have shown to be a very helpful and active member of the team everytime.

As for decision making I wanna say that hindsight can be a bit of a bastard thing to deal with and everyone eventually doubts on their decision making. It's just the nature of the chaotic gameplay and my advice is not to dwell too much on that.

+2 to compensate. Shows all the qualities of a great HOS, no doubt they'll fit into the role pretty well.
I never see Caroline Soupes as security but I do see Grup and that pretty fun to play with. I do also agree classic needs a few more regular HoS in rotation and Grup is more than qualified for that imo.  +1
I've had fun interactions with Soupes in sec. I don't think I've ever seen them hone in on solely trying to win, which is saying something since they're a very competent secoff/player.

+1 from me.
The few times I've seen them as SecOff or HoS, they struck just the right balance between protecting the crew and giving the antag enough space (haha space pun) for an engaging round. Definitely someone who deserves to roll HoS full-time Q
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.