Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Basic Lore Page
Hey everyone. I've written, with the input of the rest of the admin team, a basic lore page to help set some basic guidelines for the setting and tone of the RP server. The goal of this page is to be the bare bones framework that we think everyone should know. It's not meant to be comprehensive, and it's intended to not overly restrict individual character lore. 

In keeping with that, we're not really looking for major additions unless something feels obviously missing and the page is hurt by its absence. 

https://wiki.ss13.co/Basic_Lore

This thread is an opportunity to announce the fact that we intend for this page to exist at some point, probably linked somewhere prominent, as well as a chance for everyone to voice their general feelings on the contents page and how it is worded.
I'm a great fan and look forward to see this expanded. From time and time there are discussions that make it clear that people have different views on the setting and general lore of stuff.

Having a "word from above" on some things really help as a guideline. Currently it's of course a bit barebone, but it sets up the important things on e.g. what the position of a common crewmember is. And if it is getting expanded it's great to see.

There's the #imlore section on the discord, where i like to pull out bits and pieces for background and such, but that section is, as far as i have seen it, more for community effort to have some lore pieces in place and not something which is set in stone. That's great and to see it complemented with a wiki page such as this will certainly help.
As the page currently stands it feels a lot like a RP-contextualisation of the basic rules: Explanation of why we want to keep our jobs so on. It's probably sensible to keep it this light to allow more freedom for people's interpretation beyond that as hungry as I am for any little scrap of lore. I do really like the acknowledgement of the game requiring some mechanics being abstracted. I think that's a commonly accepted thing but sometimes it's a sticking point for people.
It would probably be good to tie and link together the rules and Guide to RP pages to this, as both have a natural link.

I personally think it's all great, but if there was something to potentially nitpick it's this line: "On-station bars, meals and lodging provided, genetic augmentation to be the lizard person of your dreams, something drew your character to its halls and your character should, in general, want to keep it that way."
Being incredibly nitpicky: Meals are not, unless you're a lucky miner on Nadir or came with a packed lunch provided per se in all cases. Frankly that's the best issue I've got and I think the concept that we don't have to fly to space Wendys for lunch is understood, but it could be changed to something like "On-station bars, places to eat and lodging provided" in that semi-corporatese way of suggesting that benefit without hinting at the downside that the barman/chef/vending machine might actually charge you for anything that isn't tap water. The only reason I bring it up is that chefs/bartenders seem really nervous about charging people as is at times.
Nanotrasen, while generally regarded as immoral, is not the sort of gruesome evil that keeps everyone in a cloning loop for eternal workers (in fact, only one clone of a given soul can exist at a time) or kills its employees on purpose, and while the company is capitalistic, monopolistic, corrupt, and negligent, it isn't generally the kind of evil that will force your character into working for them against their will under threat of physical harm.

Probably my favorite line.
You want to work there for benefits but you can't be a "crewmate" that's good and say "Nanotrasen is evil" More like: "If there were better offers I'd take it."
The reason you want to work and protect NT is because it might have flaws, but who else do you work for? The syndicate? Who will not protect you and most likely get you killed by another operative? Who's drones will mistake you for an enemy and chop you into pieces?

There is a reason to resist the syndicate... infact that should be added to the lore. If you work for the syndicate, most likely you got a debt, are a sleeper agent, someone who is extremely against nanotrasen at all costs, have someone you care about being held hostage, someone who is probably a psychopath or sociopath.

But the reason why NT employees resist them is because they know, they will just be pawns in a greater game and will most likely die in many gruesome ways without a way of being cloned or brought back.
It would establish the fact you do not want to work for the syndicate at all.... cause your life is forfeit to them. Be it by NT's hand, by Mission objective, by Fellow Syndicate operatives, by Syndicate Drones or by your own dumb luck.
really nice and concise reading for newbees that i wished was there a few weeks back when i got back into ss13!

the clarification on the basic premise and the reason for everyone being there is exactly what i think is needed as an introduction for people to know what the hell is even going on, having this makes me more secure in my character as im building them up (and makes it less necessary for me to keep bugging my veteran friend for sanity checks)

this also leaves everyone all the space they'd want for headcanons and lore building, and the lines about NT not being a comically evil villain are also very welcome - like they ARE an evil corpo, but not to the level of throwing you into the grinder for fun, or the other stuff already mentioned on the wiki page.
i really liked how short the page was, really just the minimum for being able to jump into a game, but i do hope there will also be a "general knowledge everyone kinda knows" follow-up page for those that want to understand the setting better (that is, if there even is that much more to know about the period of time we're playing in!)
Should be great if add some basic lore for each role job page. But I get main idea.