Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
change nuke ops marksman rifle to a bolt-action
i just think the marksman rifle is goofy and could do with a firerate decrease by a lot
i have reasons but im not going to elaborate because i don't care to argue them
(06-13-2024, 04:37 PM)Kotomata Wrote: i have reasons but im not going to elaborate because i don't care to argue them

Sounds to me like you got robusted by a nukie sniper.

But on topic, i thought the sniper rifle was already special enough. A bolt action sniper could be interesting for salvagers, though.
I have reasons and I care enough to argue about them cause I'm a stoner.

Marksman shots do 80 damage, that's enough to either down someone or put them into retreat and heal mode. As you can shoot as quick as you click (disregarding the minimum time it takes), you can quite quickly spread insane damage to multiple people. Now I'm not going to say you should lower the damage cause that's kind of part of the charm, but adding a bolt action mechanic would give people a little bit of time to run around after being shot once, or almost being shot. Let's not forget that the sniper can setup shop behind a wall and shoot through it with xray.

A bolt action, imo, would also encourage use of sidearms as you couldn't just throw 3 shots out on an attacker willy nilly.
I understand the sentiment behind the post but you can totally fire a bolt action that fast

I think they should leave a tracer so you know where they came from, like the Optio. And also shoot a bit slower.
I think the tracer idea would be a good start. So firing their weapon does at least reveal their position to anyone trying to take them down rather than just death coming from an unseen source.
Tracers are also just cool, and from a "Warning shot" perspective that could be fun.
(06-14-2024, 05:09 PM)Wander Wrote: I think the tracer idea would be a good start. So firing their weapon does at least reveal their position to anyone trying to take them down rather than just death coming from an unseen source.

I totally agree with this. While not the nukies sniper, I remember this was a thing I kinda wished for personally during a couple of Cogwerks's planet-station events (terrainify) where there were snipers in the woods outside the station. Tracers not only hint at the location, but also do a bit of psychological attack from just seeing the bullet whizz past you.
(06-14-2024, 05:23 AM)Cal Wrote: I understand the sentiment behind the post but you can totally fire a bolt action that fast

I think they should leave a tracer so you know where they came from, like the Optio. And also shoot a bit slower.

Big yes on the tracer idea, I've been wanting that effect to get used outside of battle royale for some time now.

I'll go ahead and say that an 'active reload' would be fun to me, similar to how Risk of Rain 2's sharpshooter works, but I have a feeling I've seen mixed opinions on adding an active reload to goon, just not able to remember if I have.
I still think hitting someone in crit with the sniper rifle should decapitate them while playing a HEADSHOT soundbite.
How about two guns? Pick between them during your loadout phase

One bolt action that's quicker and weaker, for faster set up and fire and better for picking off already weakened targets
Then an automatic that's better for longer distance with greater firepower, better for taking out a threat before it can do any damage

Maybe tracers for the former, a laser aiming sight (where you can see a small red dot where they are aiming) for the latter
(06-15-2024, 05:36 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about two guns? Pick between them during your loadout phase

One bolt action that's quicker and weaker, for faster set up and fire and better for picking off already weakened targets
Then an automatic that's better for longer distance with greater firepower, better for taking out a threat before it can do any damage

Maybe tracers for the former, a laser aiming sight (where you can see a small red dot where they are aiming) for the latter
I think alternate loadouts for all nukies would be a great idea
(06-16-2024, 09:40 AM)mralexs Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 05:36 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How about two guns? Pick between them during your loadout phase

I think alternate loadouts for all nukies would be a great idea
The detective , HoS , NTSO and Captain all have "alternate weapons"

Captain has the saber for E-gun (wich people prefer for looks on RP)
HoS with the his trusty gun for the E-gun (this one is litterly bette in utlilty then the E-gun, why use an E-gun?)
NTSO for energy riflle vs colt (people prefer the energy rifles)
And the detective to go fromĀ  the auto firing det gun to the colt. (I prefer the colt since you can rapid fire if you know how.)

I wouldn't mind more alternate load outs, heck security has "load outs too"
I prefer the riot launcher supplies cause: "Haha riot officers"

So why not give nukies them too in their classes, I believe some already have alternate items?
(06-13-2024, 09:25 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 04:37 PM)Kotomata Wrote: i have reasons but im not going to elaborate because i don't care to argue them

Sounds to me like you got robusted by a nukie sniper.

But on topic, i thought the sniper rifle was already special enough. A bolt action sniper could be interesting for salvagers, though.
to defend my honor this post was made after a discord discussion which followed an ops round in which i was a nuke op, not a crew member
my OP here was dumb though, better to not say anything at all than to embellish about not elaborating

to make up for it ill add to the discussion a bit
tracers + a laser sight (showing where marksman is aiming) would be great for making it more obvious what's happening when there's a marksman player and giving crew more counterplay to a class that currently has very little (RIP perfect barrier reflecting)
i proposed a fire rate decrease because the DPS on the sniper is insane, 80 damage AP through walls with 0 buildup, knight at least has to get into melee and hit people to charge the sword, marksman just gets to shoot through armor for free, so slower fire-rate to compensate would temper it a bit
overall i think marksman deserves some form of nerf 'cause the main limiting factor it has right now is ammo, which doesn't scale with population and doesn't really stop you from killing the entire sec team and captain (iirc its 30 shots, enough to crit 15 people or outright kill 7 assuming 2 and 4 shots per person respectively)
also i have no real opinion on an active reload, if it slows down firerate thats great but something like riot shotgun where you just spam C wouldnt really help
Making the sniper have a tracer line for a second each shot would be pretty cool.
And someone making bolt action rifles for salvagers would also be pretty cool.
Also
"One bolt action that's quicker and weaker, for faster set up and fire and better for picking off already weakened targets
Then an automatic that's better for longer distance with greater firepower, better for taking out a threat before it can do any damage"
Aren't Bolt actions usually the stronger and slower firing gun in games?
Sorry, by quicker I mean in terms of ease of handling. Like being able to aim with the scope, fire, and move to a different target.