Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elemental Plants
I am thinking that adding plants that basic reagents from a chem dispenser would really spice up botany. It wouldn't really make botanists too powerful either because scientists can do the same thing but better. I still think it would be a good addition because it will allow for more creativity in botany and would allow for plants combinations that would have extremely interesting effects.

Example: Chlorwheat, a variety of wheat that contains chlorine. Apparently in barley (almost wheat) contains high amounts of chlorine in real life and chlorwheat is a bit of wordplay which seems almost mandatory in this game.

Now people will have to worry a bit more about robust botanists. Anyways that's just by 2 cents.
considering just how intense botany mains can get with the reagents currently available, and how it's possible to get resulting chems into forms where they can be either endlessly gassed through an area or endlessly injected into someone in proximity, this seems extremely dangerous
(06-26-2023, 03:06 PM)Waffleloffle Wrote: considering just how intense botany mains can get with the reagents currently available, and how it's possible to get resulting chems into forms where they can be either endlessly gassed through an area or endlessly injected into someone in proximity, this seems extremely dangerous

I second this opinion. With botany, you need to check carefully which chems you add to the department.

Botany got good access to decent (not good, thsts scientists and traitors realm) application methods and litterally fucktons of chems, so you need to be able to expect what chems botany can make.

E.g. chlorine would enable the following splices:
phenol (harmless),
unstable mutagen (far too hard splice for mediocre effect),
hydrochloric acid (that one is interesting),
atrazine (botany got better poisons ans start woth like 800u of it in the vendors),
Chlorine itself (easy skinpen poison)
Strange reagent (that splice will kick lumen off the "most annoying splices botany can pull off"-throne and you will see it once upon a blue moon)

In this example, hydrochloric acid and chlorine itself seems like the only spicy additions. I think it would be ok, but this can lead to stuff like rafflesias that melt off half a departments equipment when they bloom.

The possibilities just get higher once you add in other basic chems.

So yes, more basic chems in botany are interesting and can get fun you need really, really be sure botany nerds cannot screw over half the station.

You don't want sonething to enable like black powder, which is why e.g. i dont see sulfur to be added to any plant in botany
Honestly I really don't get this eternal apprehension over letting botany make some chemicals in their plants. Sure they can get a lot of them if they do so, but it's a bunch of work. You know what else is a bunch of work? Making a metric fuckton of chems in science.
So what if the rafflesia can smoke the acid or whatever botanists make? You know who else can smoke acid in all sorts of places on the station? Science.

Like any mass production of chemicals with a recipe that you could make in botany you could just do in science too? And maybe in a 1.5 hour shift you might get slightly more via botany in the end, but it's not like 100 000 000 units of acid or something are that much different from 10 000 000 units of acid that research could have made and sprayed at everyone with less effort and time consumed.
(06-27-2023, 01:33 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Honestly I really don't get this eternal apprehension over letting botany make some chemicals in their plants. Sure they can get a lot of them if they do so, but it's a bunch of work. You know what else is a bunch of work? Making a metric fuckton of chems in science.
So what if the rafflesia can smoke the acid or whatever botanists make? You know who else can smoke acid in all sorts of places on the station? Science.

Like any mass production of chemicals with a recipe that you could make in botany you could just do in science too? And maybe in a 1.5 hour shift you might get slightly more via botany in the end, but it's not like 100 000 000 units of acid or something are that much different from 10 000 000 units of acid that research could have made and sprayed at everyone with less effort and time consumed.

I think it has to do with Security already having to deal with acid bombing scientists.. now you got an acid bombing botanist.. with an acid bombing rancher...

Remember whatever you give Botany, you give the RANCHER too.

The difference between botany and science hiding acid is simple.
Botany can make the food or eggs to be filled with it.. making it the perfect tool.
Thus only the detective with goggles can scan those bastards and learn the compesition..

Also the raffelsia is also a prime example of "endless gas bombing" possibilty.
The problem isn't the fact we don't think botany deserves it... but if botany can do things without science, their interaction plummets...
Also let's just say Botany is suppose to be a "newbie friendly class" and if your botanist friend is cooking up deadly poisons next to you... you don't have a gas mask from the start to deal with it...
(06-27-2023, 01:33 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Like any mass production of chemicals with a recipe that you could make in botany you could just do in science too?

That is the point i disagree on. The amounts botany can pump out of a single chemmix is by a big margin higher than chemistry.

And, most importsntly, the delivery methods for these high amount of chems are better for high smount of chems. Chemist can smoke 100u with a beaker? Botanists can smoke entire hallways with a stray rafflesia. Need an action bar on your pill to forcefeed 20u? The nettles can inject amounts similar to sleepy pens.

And once they got the plant, they got enough seeds to spam it. That's the core-issue with bitany: everything they are sble to do, they are able to spam.

Beyond that, botany is used to actively lock scientists out of chem recipes without help and vice-versa.

Chemistry and botany work different. You can't give them access to the same chem pool. And that is why you need to just have a good eye on what chens you enable for botany. That's why i said that chlorine would be an ok addition for botany, but sulfur wouldnt.

Recipe PR's receive much scrutiny in general, and adding base chems adds like 6 - 8 chem recipes to a department.

Personally, i am a fan of giving botany "middle step" chemicals like salicylic acid or oil. It makes the chemistry of the department work in general different, which is nice.

(06-27-2023, 01:49 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I think it has to do with Security already having to deal with acid bombing scientists.. now you got an acid bombing botanist.. with an acid bombing rancher...

The number of antagonists stay the same, so that's not really an issue. The stuff they can throw at security just varies more over multiple rounds, and thats s good thing for everyone imvolved.

(06-27-2023, 01:49 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Also let's just say Botany is suppose to be a "newbie friendly class" and if your botanist friend is cooking up deadly poisons next to you... you don't have a gas mask from the start to deal with it...

Well, thats how you gotta learn as beginner. And you wont get beginners hooked into the game by beginner mechanics that are boring. Besides, even 3 chem splices, involving 1 gene strain and 1 mutation (like hydrochloric acid would be and space cleaner is) are very advanced splices that only veterans comfortable do. And these know how to make proper safety precautions.
(06-27-2023, 01:33 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Honestly I really don't get this eternal apprehension over letting botany make some chemicals in their plants. Sure they can get a lot of them if they do so, but it's a bunch of work. You know what else is a bunch of work? Making a metric fuckton of chems in science.

We also have 3 departments that feature chem making as one of their major components, antag or not. Botany allready can produce better toxins them the other 3 and better delivery methodes. I think the issue is less fear of them having new toys, its more that department slice is more meatily developed then any other. 

So more like...does botany need even more options? Or does it need refinement and expsnsion of what it has?
(06-28-2023, 07:21 AM)Silent Majority Wrote: We also have 3 departments that feature chem making as one of their major components, antag or not. Botany allready can produce better toxins them the other 3 and better delivery methodes. I think the issue is less fear of them having new toys, its more that department slice is more meatily developed then any other. 

So more like...does botany need even more options? Or does it need refinement and expsnsion of what it has?

I wouldn't say it has better toxins. Quite the contrary, and the good poisons it has (cyanide, amanatin and ricin) are locked among advanced mutations.

The reason for that are the delivery methods. In general, science/bartebder got far better and precise chem mixes, botany got the quantity and delivery methods.

Medbay is left out of the field, because it is very simplified by design. It's (sadly) not meant to work that extreme with chemicals like botany or science.