Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oops! All Cog 1!
"Destiny (missing?)"
Yeah destiny was dropped in favour of Nadir, mainly cuz it's really similar layout and feature wise to Clarion. If you want to get technical, Destiny came first and Clarion was based on it... but it's gone now yeah.

In terms of having new maps to deal with the issue: won't work. Multiple reasons why. The main one can be depicted by this comic.
[Image: standards_2x.png]
More maps = more work to maintain for coders = more stuff for players to learn to familiarise themselves with (and new players have to work hard to memorise the small amount of maps we have at present tbh, it's not like maps are small) = even more cog1 votes.

Plus, admins aren't accepting new maps at the moment unless (like nadir) they have a huge gameplay change. This hasn't stopped me from mapping aetherion anyway.

Having maps unable to be voted for repeatedly would do a lot to help the cog1 voting loops, but then you would run into issues on extreme highpop and lowpop, where cyclically voting for atlas or cog2 is optimal. SO messing with the map vote system is always a bit tricky.
Perhaps limiting cog1's votable range could help a bit, but the problem mainly goes down to "people like cog1 a lot because it's really good". So... yeah. Not much that can be done about that.
Personslly, i would try working on implementing stuff to make pther maps more interesting.

I personally think the randomed engine testmerge made cog 1 even more favorable to pick, since i know a bunch of engineeribg-players that pick the maps based on what engines they have. Oshan is suffering by this.

Some maps are unfavored by mechanics and polarize based of it. Nadir is liked and disliked due to this, although i would say it is among the more voted maps right now.

Clarion and atlas are currently are maps which hsve issues in their layout, imo. E.g. as botany/rancher main, clarion ranch and botany just make me wanna scream. And i heard similar sentiment from other departmemts as well.
(06-27-2023, 10:47 PM)Tyrant Wrote: Having maps unable to be voted for repeatedly would do a lot to help the cog1 voting loops, but then you would run into issues on extreme highpop and lowpop, where cyclically voting for atlas or cog2 is optimal. SO messing with the map vote system is always a bit tricky.

What do you mean by this? I don’t quite understand.
(06-27-2023, 11:07 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Personslly, i would try working on implementing stuff to make  other maps more interesting.

I personally think the randomed engine testmerge made cog 1 even more favorable to pick, since i know a bunch of engineeribg-players that pick the maps based on what engines they have. Oshan is suffering by this.

Some maps are unfavored by mechanics and polarize based of it. Nadir is liked and disliked due to this, although i would say it is among the more voted maps right now.

Clarion and atlas are currently are maps which hsve issues in their layout, imo. E.g. as botany/rancher main, clarion ranch and botany just make me wanna scream. And i heard similar sentiment from other departmemts as well.

Yeah I would love to see more map's with unique features that's why i love manta because not only was it phenomenal and had no flaws it also moved what's not to like
(06-28-2023, 08:47 AM)Snowy :D Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 10:47 PM)Tyrant Wrote: Having maps unable to be voted for repeatedly would do a lot to help the cog1 voting loops, but then you would run into issues on extreme highpop and lowpop, where cyclically voting for atlas or cog2 is optimal. SO messing with the map vote system is always a bit tricky.

Basically, if you made it so that maps couldn't be voted back to back, low populations wouldn't be able to vote atlas back to back, and high populations wouldn't be able to vote cogmap2 back to back. Which can be quite important at certain levels. Would solve the problem of getting cog1 ten times in a row, but brings its own problems.
(06-29-2023, 12:28 AM)Tyrant Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 08:47 AM)Snowy Wrote:

Basically, if you made it so that maps couldn't be voted back to back, low populations wouldn't be able to vote atlas back to back, and high populations wouldn't be able to vote cogmap2 back to back. Which can be quite important at certain levels. Would solve the problem of getting cog1 ten times in a row, but brings its own problems.

This idea still CAN work if adjusted.. if the game recongises that Cogmap 1 was twice in a row. It cannot be voted for 1 round. Then next round it can be back.
This however can cause people to "skip" rounds or "force early ends to rounds" but we have to agree that any changes will bring problems. No system is perfect.

This is why I recommend we have more stations that 'serve' the same population ranges too but are unique in their own ways.
(06-29-2023, 01:39 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-29-2023, 12:28 AM)Tyrant Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 08:47 AM)Snowy Wrote:

This idea still CAN work if adjusted.. if the game recongises that Cogmap 1 was twice in a row. It cannot be voted for 1 round. Then next round it can be back.
This however can cause people to "skip" rounds or "force early ends to rounds" but we have to agree that any changes will bring problems. No system is perfect.

This is why I recommend we have more stations that 'serve' the same population ranges too but are unique in their own ways.
Alternatively, it could be so that the whole map can’t be voted for twice in a row thing doesn’t apply to lower populations.

I also don’t think the whole forcing rounds to end early will be an issue. If that is  something to worry about then it would already be happening whenever an unpopular map wins the vote, which I’ve never seen happen.

I do agree that improvements should me made to the less popular maps. Clarion’s medbay change made me like the map so much more and I want to see more changes like that.
(06-26-2023, 08:21 AM)Thebutler Wrote: I think the reason on why a lot of people love cogmap1 is familiarity a lot of people know the layout of cogmap1 like the back of their hand and i mean the map is perfect tbh I would even put it up there with donut 3 and manta

Hits the nail on the head and is the reason why I vote cog1, I like knowing where everything is.