Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minor random event Short Circuit
I had in mind 2 parts, and the aim is to give engineers something to do related to power management since most of the times you just set up the engine in 5 minutes and watch it go for the next 50. But it shouldn't have too much of a negative effect on the rest of the crew unless nothing is done about it within a few minutes.

1. A few wires lain throughout the station "short circuit" and break. Which can either disconnect a wired network until fixed or disconnect an apc from external power. It'll shoot out some sparks or maybe zap someone walking over it until it's repaired.

2. A couple APC around the station will lose power, like maybe set them at 20%. So an engineer or whoever will have to replace the power cell or if it's still connected to the engine/smes it will just recharge on its own.
Could also be tied to excess power storage and/or distribution. Keeping the SMESsesses at full output could roll a chance for one of the wires or APCs to explode, but keeping the output within a percentage of the station's average power draw would negate that.
If you're running way too much through them the SMES already have a chance to explode, actually.
Honestly, it would be fun if engineering had a power management function where you had to makes sure you didn't drop below or go above an areas power drain, otherwise you get blackouts or fuse tripping
(10-20-2018, 09:57 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Honestly, it would be fun if engineering had a power management function where you had to makes sure you didn't drop below or go above an areas power drain, otherwise you get blackouts or fuse tripping

There was a cool power switchboard thing that Cogwerks started making years ago that was never finished that mainly does this. Where you can connect/disconnect apc's on the station from being able to charge power or not so you could prioritize areas when there is low power. 

I took a look at it a couple months back and it was kinda beyond me. The problem really comes from APC's and you'd kinda have to rewrite a bunch of stuff there to make it work clearly and easily.

It might be cool to have, but if it is required, I dunno. I don't want to force an engineer to sit in engineering watching a monitor all round.
(10-20-2018, 11:11 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: It might be cool to have, but if it is required, I dunno. I don't want to force an engineer to sit in engineering watching a monitor all round.

Let's be honest, people would just force the AI to do it, and complain when doors aren't opened instantly at the same time
(10-21-2018, 10:12 AM)Tarmunora Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 11:11 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: It might be cool to have, but if it is required, I dunno. I don't want to force an engineer to sit in engineering watching a monitor all round.

Let's be honest, people would just force the AI to do it, and complain when doors aren't opened instantly at the same time

I figure it would be semi-automated, with power automatically rerouted to balance active systems at a steady rate, with manual control allowing you to do it more quickly.

So you don't need to baby sit the machine, but if you're having issues with too little power generation, or too much drain from one subsytem, you can tweak things.

Like turning off power in an empty botany to keep the teleporter going in research