Goonstation Forums
Armor Revamp - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Armor Revamp (/showthread.php?tid=9905)

Pages: 1 2

Armor Revamp - Wisecrack34 - 01-18-2018

Taken from the IQQ (Idea's of Questionable Quality), armor would protect completely against certain attacks if it has a higher durability than it has damage (If your gun does 3 damage and your target is wearing armor that protects 6 damage they wouldn't be hurt, possibly knocked over but unharmed) but over time the armor would lose durability to make sure it's fair (If say someone is wearing a leather jacket that protects against stabbing and gets shanked 3 times, only one of those attacks would have done damage and the jacket would be empty of resistance, now being purely decorative). This would make bullet proof vests act more realistically and make wearing armor actually useful since once you're downed you die unless something is preventing them from attacking you (witness, stunned, now armor if this is implemented).

RE: Armor Revamp - TheDK - 01-19-2018

Meat-armor that space bears and yetis attack first, giving you another second to try and get away. Also makes George chase you.

RE: Armor Revamp - atomic1fire - 01-19-2018

In that case let people slip a limited number of floor tiles into armor vests to reinforce them.

RE: Armor Revamp - Wisecrack34 - 01-19-2018

(01-19-2018, 10:08 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: In that case let people slip a limited number of floor tiles into armor vests to reinforce them.

Not sure if there's duct tape in this game but if so it would be somewhat cool to be able to make crappy floor armor, as for vests I feel like they could have different plates for different situations, some good for melee, some good for bullets, some good for lasers

RE: Armor Revamp - TheDK - 01-19-2018

(01-19-2018, 11:00 AM)Wisecrack34 Wrote:
(01-19-2018, 10:08 AM)atomic1fire Wrote: In that case let people slip a limited number of floor tiles into armor vests to reinforce them.

Not sure if there's duct tape in this game but if so it would be somewhat cool to be able to make crappy floor armor, as for vests I feel like they could have different plates for different situations, some good for melee, some good for bullets, some good for lasers

There is duct tape on the lava moon!

RE: Armor Revamp - NateTheSquid - 01-19-2018

duct/duck tape is a traitor item that i believe can only be acquired from surplus crates, and i guess the lava moon

RE: Armor Revamp - Wisecrack34 - 01-19-2018

(01-19-2018, 12:46 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: duct/duck tape is a traitor item that i believe can only be acquired from surplus crates, and i guess the lava moon

We need a duct tape revamp, can be used "weld" doors for like 2 seconds before they actually open, to stop bleeding... ish and to pretty much make anything better because it's the handyman's secret weapon and can do anything if you use enough

RE: Armor Revamp - Frank_Stein - 01-20-2018

Aye, I agree to an armor overhaul, but it'll require a bit more finagling with damage types

How I'd go about it:

1. Separate brute damage into several catergories. Some examples could be
  • Bludgeoning: Dealt by heavy, blunt objects like toolboxes
  • Piercing: Dealt by long sharp objects, shrapnel, projectiles
  • Slash: Dealt by cutting objects, knives, swords
2. Designate armor values for different clothes based on those separate categories. For instance, a bullet proof vest does much for blocking piercing, but little for bludgeoning.

3. If we wanna get fancy, calculate armor separately for the head, torso, and limbs. Add armor options for all those, and let targeting different areas take into account your attack vs the armor for that area. Example would be aiming at a Sec officers arms or legs to get around their armored torso or head.

RE: Armor Revamp - Haprenti - 01-20-2018

I think it would be nice to just have a damage source type, for the intent of damage output calculation, depending on your armor and the type of weapon used, but to simply keep it labelled "brute damage" after said calculation. You could do however, special effects depending on the type of weapon used against you, like we already have for slashing weapons with bleeding. For instance a blunt damage source could have a chance to crack a few ribs or break some other bones (Again, with chance to get the special effect depending on your armor, with some armor maybe completely negating that chance).

RE: Armor Revamp - Frank_Stein - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 05:00 AM)Haprenti Wrote: I think it would be nice to just have a damage source type, for the intent of damage output calculation, depending on your armor and the type of weapon used, but to simply keep it labelled "brute damage" after said calculation. You could do however, special effects depending on the type of weapon used against you, like we already have for slashing weapons with bleeding. For instance a blunt damage source could have a chance to crack a few ribs or break some other bones (Again, with chance to get the special effect depending on your armor, with some armor maybe completely negating that chance).

Oh yeah, exactly. It all comes out as "brute damage" in the end, but for the sake of the source of the damage and the armor type it gets split into categories.

So instead of just say, a toolbox doing 30 brute damage and a knife doing 15, wearing armor that reduced bludgeoning damage by 25% would result in the toolbox only doing 22.5 brute damage while the knife is unaffected.

Now weapon choice and armor choice becomes a larger factor in dealing with situations. Something that provides a lot of cushioning against bludgeoning might be ideal for dealing with a wrestler, but would not help at all with slashing.

You could also factor in environmental protection as well. Making yourself pillow armor to soften blows would also help insulate you against cold, but could increase you flammability.

I think this all would make combat a lot more interesting, especially paired with more health related status effects (like broken bones, bruised organs, etc) but would definitely big a big undertaking

RE: Armor Revamp - New525 - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 06:30 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: "cool things about damage types"
On the topic of a combat overhaul
First give each limb its own separate health pool. If a limbs health is emptied though methods discussed later in this post it should sever and soar off in a bloodied arc.

After that add more organs to every human mob and give them each a small function thats lost if that organ is destroyed or removed. For example, remove 50  max stamina for each lung that is destroyed. Or increase the time it takes for harmful reagents to go through you if your liver is destroyed or damaged. Im sure there are lots of organs and lots of little functions that could be added over time.

The damage types should work like this. Bludgeoning should do the most damage straight up damage but the least to organs and extremities. Piercing should do the least raw damage but should penetrate armor, do the most damage to organs but have very little effect on damaging limbs. and slashing should be a firm middle ground in terms of raw damage with the main draw being high bleed and high limb damage.

Dwarf fortress/rimworld are great sources of inspiration on the off chance that someone whos not only competent in DM but also wants to spend the time on what would undoubtedly be a massive and buggy patch decides to give this a shot.

RE: Armor Revamp - Superlagg - 01-20-2018

One way to make armor better is to have them negate some of the more deadly parts of getting hurt, in exchange for getting more and more broken. Cop armor and hardsuits could prevent bleeding and lessen stuns from bullets, football gear could convert stamina loss from toolboxing into brain damage, and so on.

Mainly because I've found that much of the time, what kills you isn't so much the damage the attack causes, but the stuns and goodies those attacks inflict.

RE: Armor Revamp - Nnystyxx - 01-21-2018

(01-20-2018, 12:57 PM)Superlagg Wrote: One way to make armor better is to have them negate some of the more deadly parts of getting hurt, in exchange for getting more and more broken. Cop armor and hardsuits could prevent bleeding and lessen stuns from bullets, football gear could convert stamina loss from toolboxing into brain damage, and so on.

Mainly because I've found that much of the time, what kills you isn't so much the damage the attack causes, but the stuns and goodies those attacks inflict.

that actually seems like a much more novel idea, effect protection rather than raw damage protection
because if you get permanently stunned, haha, doesn't matter how much brute protection you have, you're doomed

RE: Armor Revamp - amaranthineApocalypse - 01-21-2018

(01-21-2018, 05:03 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(01-20-2018, 12:57 PM)Superlagg Wrote: One way to make armor better is to have them negate some of the more deadly parts of getting hurt, in exchange for getting more and more broken. Cop armor and hardsuits could prevent bleeding and lessen stuns from bullets, football gear could convert stamina loss from toolboxing into brain damage, and so on.

that actually seems like a much more novel idea, effect protection rather than raw damage protection
because if you get permanently stunned, haha, doesn't matter how much brute protection you have, you're doomed

This seems like a much better idea

RE: Armor Revamp - TheDK - 01-22-2018

(01-21-2018, 05:56 PM)amaranthineApocalypse Wrote:
(01-21-2018, 05:03 PM)Nnystyxx Wrote:

This seems like a much better idea

Agree, also meat armor, don't forget that