Goonstation Forums
Taser trackers - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Taser trackers (/showthread.php?tid=9059)

Pages: 1 2

Taser trackers - Musketman12 - 07-12-2017

One of the most frustrating things as a sec officer is getting your gear stolen, something criminals love to do for that sweet loot. As an incentive to not just loot all the sec officers/lockers and have 5 tasers in your backpack is that each locker has a taser tracker which acts like a pinpointer and has a list of tasers, displaying the name of the person possessing it and an arrow pointing in their general direction. There should be some complicated way to remove the tracker but the point is that it forces criminals to be creative with their weaponry and not just stun+beat to death with a baton.

RE: Taser trackers - mbc - 07-12-2017

I think the janitor has something similar built in to their PDA for their mop bucket. Maybe secPDAs should get taser trackers?

RE: Taser trackers - Faceplant - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 09:40 AM)MyBlueCorners Wrote: I think the janitor has something similar built in to their PDA for their mop bucket. Maybe secPDAs should get taser trackers?

Add a function to secPDAs that lets officers scan a taser, then track it with GPS coordinates. The tracker can only track one taser for a limited time.

This way, good officers can track down their stolen taser, while petty thieves and antagonists can run down the timer in order to keep the gun for themselves. Maybe the function would work with other guns as well, so the HoS can keep track of his energy gun.

RE: Taser trackers - Frank_Stein - 07-12-2017

Eh, I don't see the need for a timer.

Having the Sec PDA track one taser at a time that they scan is good

Having a computer in the HoS office that tracks all the tasers is also good

RE: Taser trackers - Crazyabe - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 10:42 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Eh, I don't see the need for a timer.

Having the Sec PDA track one taser at a time that they scan is good

Having a computer in the HoS office that tracks all the tasers is also good

Perhaps the HOS should get an entire program to detect where all Registered Tazers and energy guns which came Through the LEGAL channels (Aka QM and Round start) are on station.

RE: Taser trackers - Firebarrage - 07-14-2017

What if security had a program that can simply remotely disable a taser? A taser would have a randomized ID like a fingerprint that could be used to permanently disable the taser while giving a nasty zap to anyone carrying it in their hand. There would be no record of which taser belongs to which officer, it would be on sec to note this down and know which one to hit. A disabled taser could be used to build a new taser in mechanics like normal.

Could this also be used by a creative criminal or packet nerd to take away a ton of security's toys? I certainly hope so!

RE: Taser trackers - Technature - 07-14-2017

This would probably just cause people to just ditch/crusher tazers if they don't have easy access to mechanics and its tools.

I know I would.

RE: Taser trackers - Superlagg - 07-15-2017

(07-14-2017, 10:17 PM)Technature Wrote: This would probably just cause people to just ditch/crusher tazers if they don't have easy access to mechanics and its tools.

I know I would.

Less tazers means more reliance on robusting. Or csabers.

RE: Taser trackers - Musketman12 - 07-15-2017

(07-14-2017, 10:17 PM)Technature Wrote: This would probably just cause people to just ditch/crusher tazers if they don't have easy access to mechanics and its tools.

I know I would.
that's the point

RE: Taser trackers - Technature - 07-15-2017

If someone takes tazers and just destroys them, security has to ask 1.The QM, 2.The Captain, 3.The Hop, 4.The Chief Engineer, 5.The AI, or 6.A cyborg to order them, or ask the HoP to give them access to it.  It's completely possible for all of these people to either be antags, subverted, or just feel like fucking with security and making their lives hell.

This just seems like the entire purpose is to give a gigantic middle finger to the job that already has it the hardest on the station.

RE: Taser trackers - Musketman12 - 07-15-2017

(07-15-2017, 07:33 PM)Technature Wrote: If someone takes tazers and just destroys them, security has to ask 1.The QM, 2.The Captain, 3.The Hop, 4.The Chief Engineer, 5.The AI, or 6.A cyborg to order them, or ask the HoP to give them access to it.  It's completely possible for all of these people to either be antags, subverted, or just feel like fucking with security and making their lives hell.

This just seems like the entire purpose is to give a gigantic middle finger to the job that already has it the hardest on the station.
There is absolutely nothing stopping people from doing this right now, I don't see how implementing a way for security to retrieve their tasers (actually making criminals life harder) will somehow harm security.

RE: Taser trackers - Technature - 07-15-2017

True, but people know that holding onto the taser gives them a weapon. Once it becomes common knowledge that that weapon can turn against them, no one will touch it unless they're getting rid of it just to spite security.

The ability to disable a taser for a time means security still has to, ya know, get the taser back, but it means people aren't worried about this thing they're holding randomly shocking them to the ground.

RE: Taser trackers - Dr Zoidcrab - 07-16-2017

I'd use it to lure security guards into traps.

RE: Taser trackers - Paineframe - 07-16-2017

Wouldn't this just make tasers into gigantic liabilities for ANYONE who uses them - not only criminals, but the actual sec officers who are meant to use them too? A PDA program that tracks taser owners means that all it takes is one stolen PDA to be able to track the current position of all sec officers. An ability to remotely disable tasers means anyone who gets their hands on the right access could break all of sec's toys.

RE: Taser trackers - Technature - 07-16-2017

I believe it only works for one taser.

Which, yeah, you're right, often disables all of security.

Scrap immediately.