Goonstation Forums
Stronger meteors - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Stronger meteors (/showthread.php?tid=8448)

Pages: 1 2 3

Stronger meteors - poland spring - 03-21-2017

BACK IN THE DAY meteor storms were a force to be reckoned with.  Holes that penetrated deep into departments, sometimes bisecting parts of the station back in Donut days, were a Fun experience to dodge and be sideswiped out of nowhere by if you weren't paying attention to the announcements.  But now quite often meteors seem to jist piff against the side of the station, maybe taking out an outer maint wall or two.  I say meteors should be stronger, and heck maybe more varied.  You could have erebite meteors that explode harder, or plasmastone ones that burst into flame.  Space is weird!  Space has weird rocks!  BIG weird rocks.  Big weird rocks that gib me as I'm trying to replace the captain's eyes with cameras.

RE: Stronger meteors - sm0kes - 03-21-2017

agree

RE: Stronger meteors - Vitatroll - 03-21-2017

This is something I can get behind. They used to cause a stupid amount of lag. I saw a round a week ago where an admin brought in meteors with old-levels destruction. Lag wasn't so bad, honest.

Just make sure they only spawn later in a round. At higher levels they're basically a round's ending bell.

RE: Stronger meteors - Noah Buttes - 03-21-2017

Meteors used to be the fastest way to slow the server to a crawl, but they don't seem to be nearly as lag-inducing as they used to be.

I fully support meteors being far stronger than they currently are so as to encourage crew cooperation in repelling them.

RE: Stronger meteors - Musketman12 - 03-21-2017

Yes please old meteors would fucking annihilate sides of the station and crew actually used the meteor shields. The lag isn't even that bad either to be honest.

Make meteors great again 2017

RE: Stronger meteors - Frank_Stein - 03-21-2017

I want meteors you can shoot down into smaller, less deadly meteors with a pod

RE: Stronger meteors - medsal15 - 03-21-2017

Only if repressurizing is fixed. I dont want to have 90% of the station unusable because it's airless and cold.

RE: Stronger meteors - Erev - 03-21-2017

I'm all for this though I do think we should get a better anti-meteor system. Some kind of laser point defense system perhaps or a shield that draws super heavy on the engine.

RE: Stronger meteors - misto - 03-21-2017

meteors punching deeper would make it more imperative to set up meteor shields, give ghost drones and construct borgs and engineers more work. only downside is the lingering challenge of lots of rooms being eternally drained of air but we seem to have more or less made peace with that

RE: Stronger meteors - babayetu83 - 03-21-2017

this would be fun if meteor showers happened more frequently

RE: Stronger meteors - Studenterhue - 03-22-2017

(03-21-2017, 11:51 AM)Erev Wrote: I'm all for this though I do think we should get a better anti-meteor system. Some kind of laser point defense system perhaps or a shield that draws super heavy on the engine.

I suppose an active PTL could decrease the chance of getting large meteors at the cost of increasing the chance smaller ones, and an active mining magnet, perhaps on automatic mode, could sort of "redirect" meteors towards Mining

Also, there really should be more meteor shields around. The generator placement seems a bit too inconsistent; there's generators in Arrivals, Escape, and Emergency Storage B, but not Storage A or any of the other docks. I know there's a QM crate with nothing but meteor shields, but it's not so handy when QM is unavailable, Cargo Bay is offline, etc.

On the other hand, I'm really, really clamoring for something like Asteroids but with Space Pods.

RE: Stronger meteors - misto - 03-22-2017

maybe an extra-large and extra-slow meteor that chews deep into the station would be better served as a separate event to the meteor shower. it would have to be extra slow in order for it to be possible to intercept with pods

RE: Stronger meteors - aft2001 - 03-22-2017

Also meteors with horrible pathogens, fermids, martians, or radiation that spreads their contents in the blast radius.

RE: Stronger meteors - misto - 03-22-2017

and space wasps

RE: Stronger meteors - poland spring - 03-22-2017

plasma crystal meteors that throw plasma shards everywhere

"meat"-eors that explode into gibs and pustules upon impact

An incredibly rare meteor that's just a ball of staff assistants that releases angry if oxygen deprived NPCs in a shower of torsos, heads and limbs

the previous one but with monkeys because let's face it they get launched into space too if not more

BEE-TEOR (REDACTED)

ok that's enough idea spam if nothing else think about how fun these would be to have as admin commands