Goonstation Forums
Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed (/showthread.php?tid=8369)

Pages: 1 2 3

Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - aft2001 - 03-08-2017

Some antagonists would be great for LLJK1, but really just the RPable ones, including:

Low ServerPop (5-10) - Hardmode Traitor
Medium ServerPop (11-15) - Traitor, Hardmode Traitor, *Possibly* Changeling
High ServerPop (16+) - Hardmode Traitor, Traitor, Changeling, Vampire, NukeOps

LLJK1 is lovely when there's enough players, since the interactions and long round-based stories are really enjoyable. But, without players, it's dull. And when it's dull, less people will want to play, so it'll be even more dull, and so on, until there's nobody on. Antags would spice things up and attract people back.

I know this has been posted before but, I can't imagine how (relatively) easy it'd be to make this antag selection algorithm for the experienced coders who make more content for Goonstation (thanks, by the way!) And yes, I know there's a lot to do, but if it isn't already, add this to the to-do list.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Erev - 03-08-2017

Some people like the quiet, long, low death chance rounds. Killing them screws with these things. Now I would be interested in souped up miscreants and non-lethal or low lethality antags for such rounds.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - aft2001 - 03-08-2017

Well, yeah... Something along the lines of "Hey, there's a couple people on, maybe the next person has a chance to be a miscreant!", and "God damn that's a lot of people. Better throw in some Hardmode traitors, with a dash of actual traitor"

Not too much. Just something.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - misto - 03-08-2017

experimenting with nonlethal or... less-lethal antags objectives sounds like a productive avenue of research

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Maegor - 03-08-2017

Chance for some events would be great, with the type scaling with who is online:

Meteor Shower: Cap, HoP, CE or Engineer

Radstorm and Blowout: Medical Staff

Ion Storm: AI or Cyborg plus a head (With deadlier laws only if there are 10+ online)

Anomalies: Scientists and RD (Just so they get their own event)

Singularity and other destructive events: When the round goes past 420 minutes (To prevent rounds from getting too long)

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - aft2001 - 03-08-2017

Maegor, those events happen depending on serverpop. Though, I'd love that system so nothing fucks up the round too much.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Maegor - 03-08-2017

(03-08-2017, 04:14 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Maegor, those events happen depending on serverpop. Though, I'd love that system so nothing fucks up the round too much.

I know, But perhaps the server pop requirement could be adjusted to LLJK 1.

Also, change the map to clarion a few days of the week, Really like the design

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - poland spring - 03-08-2017

Hell yes on the adjusting pop requirements and occasional Clarion mapswap

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - babayetu83 - 03-09-2017

vampire could be fun

just imagine something like this happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ea5jKFGgUw

though i always wondered why the nuclear option of having no antags was taken instead of just putting in a rule that says 'dont kill as an antag unless it is your objective/you absolutely need to for example to protect your cover"

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Vitatroll - 03-09-2017

Right now there are 44 people on LLJK2, and 2 people on LLJK1. Is that normal? I don't really pay attention.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - babayetu83 - 03-09-2017

(03-09-2017, 03:56 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: Right now there are 44 people on LLJK2, and 2 people on LLJK1. Is that normal? I don't really pay attention.

yes 

construction server was the same thing. ghost town

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - ferriswheel1 - 03-09-2017

SS13 is ultimately tedious without antagonists to create conflict. Extended renders most of the crew (like sec and medical) either useless or terminally bored with the lack of things to do, leaving the destiny as a dull safe playground for testers. Good stories and good role-playing are created from the sense of danger, paranoia and subterfuge that antagonists bring.

I'd prefer to see LLJK 1 become a slower-paced LLJK 2. Chaos and disaster happens, but it's likely to be later, with much more room for the interaction between players that tends to get missed on 2.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Sundance - 03-09-2017

The purpose of destiny was not to be a safezone where people can learn absolutely everything there needs to be learned about gooncode with utter impunity. 

However that's what it's become. 

It hardly caters for the RP crowd when there's little scenarios to RP around. There is not going to be much RP between 3 folks who are at polar ends of the ship.

It definitely doesn't cater for those used to #2. The sudden change of pace is described brilliantly by reddit user psyentific

Quote:"Rounds upon rounds of high-speed low-drag robusting, scumcatching chases all over the station and finely honed hair-trigger paranoia, all of it completely justified.

And then
nothing"

Without succumbing to pessimism, it would not be fair to say destiny is dead. But to go from the well received Day of Destiny to days upon days upon days of extended, well.. you can see how that fared.

There's interest there. I can safely say that I would prefer to play an RP styled goon over the chaotic #2, as that can become stale for players as long in the tooth as myself. The extended doesn't sell it for me whatsoever.

A tiered platform of antagonists as suggested in the OP would be a good thing. I'm also going to self insert this:
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=7912
as it's definitely something that could be done in conjunction with OP suggestion.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Ed Venture - 03-09-2017

All the issues with the RP server can be solved if it stops being stuck in Extended Mode. When I had to stop playing last May the RP and the LLJK2 Servers both had a decent number of players daily and then I come back and wanted to try the RP server, it was on extended so I don't even bother. Extended mode sucks. Before you say it was because Summer started and that was the reason why they both had decent amount of players on both servers. I concede that played a factor in that but the biggest factor was that it was not extended mode. Even on the weekends outside of summer we still get a lot of players and the RP server still remains a ghost town.

Get rid of extended mode and add more antags to it and people will return to RP.

RP? More like R.I.P.

RE: Basic Antags on LLJK1 are *very* needed - Noah Buttes - 03-09-2017

Why did it even get shifted to extended mode anyway?