Goonstation Forums
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! (/showthread.php?tid=8175)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Superlagg - 02-27-2017

(02-27-2017, 01:42 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-27-2017, 05:59 AM)Grifflez Wrote: Give the ability to scan and create more tractor cars for the utility tractor!

A clone driving a tractor train that went from the medbay to escape was great, I don't even understand why duplicating them was disabled frown

If lag is an issue because of too many carts is REALLY still a thing, limit it to 2-3 cars connected max!

Rather than just scanning, how about converting one of the two western podbays into a motor pool, where more carts and tractors can be built and tinkered with?

Turn that western podbay into a badass car garage, trick out your utility cart into a bychin' hawwt rohhd cargo tractor and do sick donuts in front of shipping and receiving.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - NateTheSquid - 03-10-2017

floating clocks from the space-time ship make you really slow, they float, and are clocks, guys

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - misto - 03-10-2017

youre not just pulling some ordinary floating clock, youre also pulling all the extra time stuck inside it, and time weighs heavy upon us all

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Studenterhue - 03-10-2017

Maybe they don't want you to pull them. Maybe it's not time to pull them yet.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - TheOnlyRyan - 03-12-2017

Since when did Goon become a hardcore roleplay station with realistic drag speeds.

It turns any funny situation where people are getting pulled around or are pulling something in an attempt to steal it there by making fun.

Into a boring situation where you have to abandon a crew member or item because if you dare pull that precious screwdriver you cant outrun the popo.

Seeing how this thread has 14 pages though I can tell it will not be removed, ah well.... Not like theres real problems like my Security PDA warning me about

EVERY.

SINGLE.

DISPOSALED.

ITEM.

^ has been an issue for a year now, for the whole of Cog2 this has been an issue.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Ed Venture - 03-12-2017

I got sick of waiting for a poll to be added to this thread so I went and made my own.

http://www.strawpoll.me/12513935

I doubt it will result in any change if the community votes for it's removal, but it should be fun.

It's been a month now and I still believe this change is god awful.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Mordent - 03-12-2017

That poll is so polarising, and can be read any way you want. Yes/No polls are terrible, basically. I'd recommend dropping it and putting up one with assorted options ("Revert in its entirety"; "Reduce movement penalties across the board"; "Reduce movement penalties for all but the largest objects"; "Reduce movement penalties for some objects"; "Reduce movement penalties for a few objects"; "Leave as-is"). Even that poll lacks discussion points for what specific items could use a pull slowdown tweak (the whole point of this thread, and one that the admins have been responding to!).

The only real thing that people still seem to have issues with are crates/lockers, to which I say: get one of the forklifts now around, or have geneticists stick you with a Musculature Enhancement injector (no stability loss) to get up to much more normal levels.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - misto - 03-12-2017

yes/no is a little too simple. a lot of items could stand to be lightened up on and made quicker to pull, but its not something that has to be discarded entirely

a good poll, in my mind, would be one that asks the playerbase what items SHOULD be tuff to pull, and then applying that, not applying it to everything and then slowly rescinding it from some stuff in bits and pieces

also hey admints, you hear of pallet jacks? very nice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet_jack

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Noah Buttes - 03-12-2017

I'm going to be honest.

I realized my initial assessment was prejudiced, so I've been holding off on saying anything because I wanted to give the update some time to grow on me. However, I have not yet had one experience that was enhanced by the pull speed changes.

I've had many experiences that were negatively affected by these changes

I've died a few times because people couldn't pull me to safety in time. I've let people die in my arms because I couldn't pull them away from a breach before they suffocated.

I tried setting up a loafing machine, but it took so long to move the pipes around that the round was almost over by the time I was done.

I tried playing QM some more and good lord is crate management tedious now.

Being a paramedic is an exercise in frustration, and security is even more soul-crushing than before.

There's many other minor annoyances, but you get the drift.

I'm all for making belt hell, mules, and forklifts relevant again, but this isn't the way to go about it at all.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Maegor - 03-12-2017

For what unholy reason did you resurrect this thread?

About the poll i agree with mordent and misto, that poll will bring nothing productive.
(03-12-2017, 08:34 AM)Mordent Wrote: The only real thing that people still seem to have issues with are crates/lockers, to which I say: get one of the forklifts now around, or have geneticists stick you with a Musculature Enhancement injector (no stability loss) to get up to much more normal levels.
If you want to pull things faster and you do not have the mutation in your genes, you should lose at least 15 stability.

(03-12-2017, 10:46 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I've died a few times because people couldn't pull me to safety in time. I've let people die in my arms because I couldn't pull them away from a breach before they suffocated.I tried setting up a loafing machine, but it took so long to move the pipes around that the round was almost over by the time I was done.I tried playing QM some more and good lord is crate management tedious now. Being a paramedic is an exercise in frustration, and security is even more soul-crushing than before.There's many other minor annoyances, but you get the drift.

Security is not bad, Paramedic you can call the port a medbay and  nanomed. Pipes should have a transportation method, as i do not use them much do I can not tell if they work with the ones we have. QM is also not that bad, you can use the forklift to move them around.
(03-12-2017, 10:46 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm all for making belt hell, mules and forklifts relevant again, but this isn't the way to go about it at all.

What do you suggest? They were not used because it was faster to pull stuff around instead of using belt hell, mules and forklifts.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - misto - 03-12-2017

i have given big feedbacks on how to improving belt, mules, etc. in big posts earlier in this thread

https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=8175&pid=92371#pid92371

if you really need to, you can keep crates slow to pull, even. qm crate management is not too bad because youre only pulling them short distances in the qm workplace before shoving them on a belt, mostly.

but lighten up on most of the rest of pullable objects, would you? yes, even people. it may be slightly trickier for a ling to pull someone to their doom, but now you cant reasonably get someone out of a ling's arms because pulling someone makes the unburdened ling much faster than you and making you prime second course for the buffet, counterbalancing any ling nerfing effect this was intended to have. yes, this also applies to trying to rescue someone from most other murderers.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - 69andahalf - 03-12-2017

Noah raises some good points. I've run into quite a few situations recently where I really want to do something, but have been limited due to the mobility dragging something gives you. Sure, zipping around while dragging a locker wasn't very realist, I feel that the amount of annoyance this causes outweighs that I feel.

Try dragging someone out of a breached area now. I used to suck before but now you're both just gonna wind up dead because you'd move faster just standing still.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - NateTheSquid - 03-12-2017

I strongly think the change should be reverted. The change was made, and then this thread was made, and this thread is just bit-by-bit turning the change back anyway! Eventually we'll end up with lots of grumpy people and no pull speed debuffs, or we could just switch it back now, less grumpy people, no speed debuffs.

Keep it for lljk1 I think though

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Noah Buttes - 03-12-2017

(03-12-2017, 11:54 AM)Maegor Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 10:46 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I've died a few times because people couldn't pull me to safety in time. I've let people die in my arms because I couldn't pull them away from a breach before they suffocated.I tried setting up a loafing machine, but it took so long to move the pipes around that the round was almost over by the time I was done.I tried playing QM some more and good lord is crate management tedious now. Being a paramedic is an exercise in frustration, and security is even more soul-crushing than before.There's many other minor annoyances, but you get the drift.

Security is not bad, Paramedic you can call the port a medbay and  nanomed. Pipes should have a transportation method, as i do not use them much do I can not tell if they work with the ones we have. QM is also not that bad, you can use the forklift to move them around.

Pulling handcuffed perps may not be that bad, but it's exceptionally difficult to pull any downed officers out of the line of fire now.

It's a similar situation with paramedic duty. Sure, you COULD use the port-a-medbay, but that really only works for one individual. If you have a mass casualty situation like an explosion, fire, or poison smoke, then the port-a-medbay won't cut it. You need to get people out of danger immediately without waiting for the porter to recharge. Woe betide you if you have the misfortune of being saddled with medic duty on a telescience expedition. Just cross your fingers and pray that you don't have to pull your teammates away from a swarm of space wasps/zombies/wendigos/etc.

Forklifts are too unwieldy to use for the frequent, rapid, short-distance transportation of crates required in the frenetic world of shipping market wheeling and dealing. If I didn't have to keep hopping off the forklift to order more crates to sell, then the situation would be quite a bit better.

(03-12-2017, 11:54 AM)Maegor Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 10:46 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm all for making belt hell, mules and forklifts relevant again, but this isn't the way to go about it at all.

What do you suggest? They were not used because it was faster to pull stuff around instead of using belt hell, mules and forklifts.

Make the mass drivers for belt hell more difficult to clog. As it stands, you have to load crates onto the conveyor belt in very slow intervals so as to avoid backing up the AMDLs, thereby getting one of your crates stuck behind a mass driver door.

MULEs can be improved by making them significantly faster and more intuitive to use. It also wouldn't hurt to have more delivery locations available and for existing delivery locations to be made more sensible. It'd also be neat if they sent a PDA message to the relevant department once the delivery is completed.

EDIT: By faster, I mean able to reach their destination more quickly and efficiently. How this is achieved, be it through improved pathfinding or just a higher movement speed, doesn't really matter in the end.

Forklifts need to be faster and/or have a larger carrying capacity.

Cargo carts are actually in a pretty good place right now, I think.

The mail system is also good right now, if a bit unreliable later into the round due to the inevitability of explosions.

Cargo teleporters are fantastic at what they do and don't really need to be touched.

RE: Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it! - Ed Venture - 03-12-2017

If you guys want to make a better poll or if a Admin will add a poll to this thread then please do. I think it's a simply yes or no question though. Also for fun count how many people in this thread that have stated that they don't like this change to the ones that do.

Gonna be honest since this change I've been playing less and less. It has pretty much killed any enjoyment I get from the one job I play and that's security. It's just too tedious to get people to Security now and if you bring up the port-a-brig then go read my past post on that as I already explain on how little it helps. It's also really hard and not worth risking your life to save others and drag them away from harm. Almost every time I drag a person to safety I either get put in deep red status or flat out die.

It's just not fun.

Grayshift said he has never made a realism change cause he feels all they are is tedious. But many have said it's nothing but.

I've been playing since 2009, I've been around for all the drastic changes and this is the first that is starting to drive me away from the game.