Goonstation Forums
Let's make Food and Drink better - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Let's make Food and Drink better (/showthread.php?tid=814)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Walrus - 09-21-2014

mozi Wrote:here's a big dumb thing I wrote up about making all food useful, I spent 30 minutes trying to code it before getting distracted by a shiny and wandering off
http://pastebin.com/6TB1sNVW

I wrote it before the quality system came up but conceptually it doesn't seem too hard to integrate that, just needs the work of someone more competent than myself to do so

This is an amazing idea, and with my non-existent knowledge of BYOND coding it seems relatively easy to add in.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Frank_Stein - 09-21-2014

enforcer9 Wrote:
mozi Wrote:semi-brainfart

I thought it would be cool if the chef/barman had an option to make money through some galactic catering/delivery service. They'd get an order & a time limit for a random combination of food&drink, kinda like how the QM gets those special trader orders ("we want weedcake and bloody mary" instead of "give us mauxite").

either put it on a teleport pad or maybe an interstellar delivery boy shows up in the catering pod bay. they'd get money for the order + a tip whose %age is based on completeness, time, and quality. an order fully complete with the best quality ingredients and shipped off right after the order arrives would net the chef/barkeeper a 300% tip, #wow #whoa

even if no actual crewmembers wanted food they'd still have a reason to make it.
Only if they get a choice rather to accept the task or not. If they take it and fail, the station gets a budget cut and a giant announcement tells everyone why.
Maybe the Bar and Kitchen (Botany as well?) should get their own separate budget for this purpose, with food deliveries moved from QM to the dock back there? As a reward for doing well, they could even order some expensive and exotic ingredients they couldn't get anywhere else on the station.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sam Guivene - 09-22-2014

Why not we make eggplant used in eggplant parmigiana, an italian dish. Allow it to be fermented (I forget how shits fermented but it would be similar to cheese making), into kimchee, a buddist/korean dish, or made as a component for chinese food (its a common side in American Chinese Food).

With garlic, make it possible to make with bread to make garlic bread (garlic bread is the shit IRL if you haven't had it), a reagent in some type of pizza, or a piece of chinese food. Garlic should have a reagent in it that, if it passes a certain threshold, begins to give some of the bad smell messages ("it smells like a fart took a shit in here", and so on), this reagent has no actual practical effect but would be amusing because garlic makes you smell bad IRL.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Shoddy - 09-22-2014

Hey can the chef get some stuff other than meat and cheese in his fridge? I mean goddamn he's a chef that has no spices or vegetables or fruit in his fridge.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - DyssalC - 09-22-2014

Shoddy Wrote:Hey can the chef get some stuff other than meat and cheese in his fridge? I mean goddamn he's a chef that has no spices or vegetables or fruit in his fridge.
With the addition of salt and pepper shakers I can see spices being a reasonable thing.

Pairing that with more food reagents would be really cool. Chef becomes (even more of) a food scientist.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - atomic1fire - 09-22-2014

Complementary Spices that add bonuses to any health gains would be cool.

An assistant could taste a food, relay the message the food brings up, and maybe there could be a taste scale.

Stuff that tastes good could add health or stamina, stuff that tastes really bad could induce puking or food poisoning. Find the wrong spice and add it to the wrong food to ruin the whole dish, yuck.

Find someone's favorite dish and add the right spices, get showered in money and complements.

Ruin the captains cheese burger because you were experimenting, and get nothing but boos and possibly fired.

Also someone suggested somewhere else that foods should have a chance of causing fatness. Yes to this.

Make a food too good and now half the staff can't fit into their uniforms. Being fat would counteract the positive things spices and food can give.

Also trying to keep your taste tester from becoming fat would give the chef a reason to carry weight loss shakes.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - atomic1fire - 09-22-2014

uh also spices and foods would not be wrote down combinations, people could share recipes but the way to get "Amazing cheeseburger" would be through experimentation or sheer luck and writing your recipes down.

Also maybe chef could get little recipe cards with some starter recipes instead of that book. "e.g Meat + cheese + a pinch of salt for a Fine Cheeseburger"

Food quality could be tied not just to cooking, but the ingredients and the spices used as well.

Give chef a good reason to yell at botany about "terrible wheat"

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sam Guivene - 09-23-2014

Fish should all have low amounts of mercury in them, causing toxin damage and brain damage if consumed raw.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sundance - 09-23-2014

Talk about necro'ing this thread.

Big thumbs up of the addition of tequila in game, I've been wanting this for a while.

I'd like to expand on Mozi's food concept idea. I really like it and I think it's something that should be looked at seriously.
So you each character has a Favorite food.
IDEA 1:
Personally this should be randomized every round otherwise people will just pick a plain pizza and everyone will just eat it for a buff. People can see what favorite food they are at round start right beside their pin code, or they can click notes. This way, some players may have access to their buff easier than others depending on the round.

IDEA 2:
Quality of the food/ingredients increases the longevity of the buff.

IDEA 3:
I think the buff should be totally different than just healing. It should be a new kind of buff, and the buff is an enhancement of their job. So when they have their favorite food in their system, they can operate their jobs better. This is due to an inactive genetic effect that you are given at round start, but only is active when the favorite food is in your system.

Expansion of IDEA 3:
So what does this entail for each job? Here's some ideas:
Barman: Liquid gold; All alcohol acts like a mild moonshine. Must be quite drunk to have this effect.
Engineering/CE: Heat shield; Burn damage is reduced somewhat in all situations (electrocution, space, inferno's)
Medical Doctor/Director; Disease Suppressant; Diseases effects and their advancement to each stage is suppressed.
Chef: Connoisseur; Quality of food is increased.
Miner: Geology expert; Miners now automatically see rocks like they would through a geological scanner.
Security/Hos: Combat ready; Punches and disarms reduce more stamina somewhat, disarms have a % chance of equipping what the target was holding.
QM/HoP: Silk tongue; Haggling is dramatically better, objects can be sold at a higher price.

And so on so forth.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - YJHGHTFH - 09-24-2014

Sundance Wrote:An idea, I guess??
yeah uh i don't think Idea 3 is feasible at all.
a unique buff for every job is a liiiittle on the ott side i think

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sundance - 09-25-2014

See the thing is that we could go 3 ways with this.
The first way is through chemicals, as in the favorite food would release a certain type of chem into the blood stream.
The second option is to have it work like genetics, where it is fully activated once consumed, like injecting yourself with genetic implant.

Or the third option, which is what I suggested is something else entirely, instead have it work like hulk; where the buff is limited to time and time is dependant on quality of food.

These food buffs is something that isn't chemistry or genetics but a new kind of "science" which is based on quality, and that hasn't been explored yet, and I'd imagine would be very fun.

The reason why I said have it available for each job because it kinda made sense that way to me, but if the general feel is that if it isn't feasible or a bit much then you could have ~10 food buffs that are more generalized, and each round a player would be given the buff (from the pool of 10) with the randomized favorite. More generalized buffs could be stuff like increased stamina, protection against damage, medicine heals more, more resistant to diseases and chems, increased speed, resistance to oxygen damage, etc etc. General stuff that everyone would find handy, but it's the luck of the draw each round and depends if there's a willing chef to cook it.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sundance - 09-25-2014

Hasn't been explored yet bar by botany I should add. Quality science is a thing in botany, but this is an expansion of this, this makes good botanists even more prized and good chefs prized too.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Amuys - 12-11-2014

Necro, but will there be anything on nutrition or such?
Maybe make better food give better health benefits and healing?

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Sam Guivene - 12-11-2014

I'd like to point out that a massive amount of older food combos do NOT have reagents in them or have half the options modern food types have (I.E. droopy cake lacks prions, and can't be frosted or cut)

In addition, eggplants and many other botany products currently have no practical usage other than as a precurser to gruel, please fix.

Re: Let's make Food and Drink better - Amuys - 12-11-2014

Yeah, uncutabble cakes are a crime.