Goonstation Forums
Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Printable Version

+- Goonstation Forums (https://forum.ss13.co)
+-- Forum: Discussion (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Ideas & Suggestions (https://forum.ss13.co/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item (/showthread.php?tid=6742)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - poland spring - 07-11-2016

I just had a round where the people who signed my contracts pretty much fooled around doing nothing, and one murdered me.  For twelve telecrystals I shouldn't have the equivalent of an emagged borgs with macho man powers suddenly coming after me, doubly so if I forced them to sign.  

Please have a popup that at least tells them they can't murder the person who made them sign or whatever, this is awful

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Grifflez - 07-11-2016

Aren't the contracts meant to backfire on both the signee and the contract offerer?

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Noah Buttes - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 01:06 PM)poland spring Wrote: I just had a round where the people who signed my contracts pretty much fooled around doing nothing, and one murdered me.  For twelve telecrystals I shouldn't have the equivalent of an emagged borgs with macho man powers suddenly coming after me, doubly so if I forced them to sign.  

Please have a popup that at least tells them they can't murder the person who made them sign or whatever, this is awful

Totally intentional. Only some of the contracts actually turn people into antagonists: washed up macho man, drug-addled wrestler, satanic cluwne, toothless vampire, and rarely the genetic demigod contract. None of the contracts are meant to act as mindslaves. People who sign your contracts can totally kill you and should maybe be encouraged to do so. But you're capable of fighting back since the infernal pen and the briefcase are actually pretty damn robust melee weapons, with the pen causing pretty severe bleeding and the case inflicting very heavy stamina damage.

All that having been said, I'm totally open to feedback regarding a mindslave sort of protection mechanic if it turns out that it just results in boring deaths rather than genie-like word twisting and trickery.

(07-11-2016, 01:23 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Aren't the contracts meant to backfire on both the signee and the contract offerer?

With a few exceptions, yeah

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - ZeWaka - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 01:23 PM)Grifflez Wrote: Aren't the contracts meant to backfire on both the signee and the contract offerer?

Exactly. You are doing evil dark magic selling and buying souls. Do you really expect there is not going to be some kind of holy intervention on either parties? You don't suddenly become an antagonist or a mindslave thing by selling your soul, so you are allowed to kill the dude holding your soul hostage, because he is a traitor after all.

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - poland spring - 07-11-2016

Seriously if that's how it works include a pop-up. People generally imagine soulless people as evil so like maybe indicate that they aren't

Granted it was a lot of fun at first but not knowing any of the parameters of how it worked was kinda awful as the round went on. There's no indication that the briefcase and pens do extra damage either

(07-11-2016, 01:43 PM)zewaka Wrote:

... You don't suddenly become an antagonist ... by selling your soul ...
I thought that was the whole point behind the cluwne, vampire, wrestler, shitty macho man contracts, as well as the rare version of the genetic potential contract.

That probably needs to be clarified then.

(07-11-2016, 01:43 PM)poland spring Wrote:
Granted it was a lot of fun at first but not knowing any of the parameters of how it worked was kinda awful as the round went on.  There's no indication that the briefcase and pens do extra damage either

Oh wait shit, there's not?

I knew I forgot to include something on that how-to guide in the briefcase. Fuck.

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Nnystyxx - 07-11-2016

Yeah nobody knew how to work their abilities, what they counted as, their objectives (or lack thereof), etc and it was just total confusion. The first guy to use it was selling the contracts in the market and still nobody had any clue what was going on

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - TheOnlyRyan - 07-11-2016

I'm just sat here having not even seen these new contracts wondering why no one chooses to make me sign frown

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - poland spring - 07-11-2016

(07-11-2016, 02:22 PM)TheOnlyRyan Wrote: I'm just sat here having not even seen these new contracts wondering why no one chooses to make me sign frown

Because it was funny as hell to waltz into sec and offer everyone there cosmic power and have it actually work

Fuck.

I'll draft up some documentation and shoot it by a coder to implement.

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Erik - 07-11-2016

People kept sending mentorhelps where their abilities where as a macho-man, or wrestler so some popups would be nice yes.

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - Frank_Stein - 07-11-2016

How much TC does it cost? Being able to buy at least one mindslave implant with the contracts might be a good idea? 

Can you sign them yourself?

(07-11-2016, 02:40 PM)ErikHanson Wrote: People kept sending mentorhelps where their abilities where as a macho-man, or wrestler so some popups would be nice yes.

Are you sure it was both macho men and wrestlers? Wrestlers are supposed to have all their abilities while being crippled with addiction. If wrestlers aren't getting their powers, something's wrong with the make_wrestler proc.

(07-11-2016, 02:48 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: How much TC does it cost? Being able to buy at least one mindslave implant with the contracts might be a good idea? 

Can you sign them yourself?

It currently costs twelve telecrystals. The mindslave thing might be a good idea, but I'm hesitant to reduce the cost to anything lower than ten crystals.

The chaplain who spawns the briefcase cannot sign the contracts himself. How's he gonna sell his own soul to himself???

As a stop gap measure while I work on writing some proper documentation, here's two github links:

This one is the main contract file that does most of the things.
https://github.com/NoahButtes/goonstation-2016/blob/ab6527ce86a980ff9161b1c4d6411107af53ccb5/code/WorkInProgress/infernal_contracts.dm

This one is the whole repository.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation-2016/compare/goonstation-2016-byond510...NoahButtes:infernalcontracts?expand=1

RE: Rework the faustian bargain traitor item - misto - 07-11-2016

one time i picked up a couple of contracts that had been left lying around and threw them in the crusher. does destroying the contract actually accomplish anything? for future reference

(07-11-2016, 03:16 PM)misto Wrote: one time i picked up a couple of contracts that had been left lying around and threw them in the crusher. does destroying the contract actually accomplish anything? for future reference

No, unfortunately.